Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/30/2004 1:09:28 PM EDT
Today I saw a King County Airport Police, as in Boeing Field, as in damn near downtown, doing a auto stop deep south County, like Federal Way.

I have seen Medina P.D. (eastside Bellevue) pull cars over on I-5 in Northgate.

And lets dont even bring up Port of Seattle Police.

WTF?????

Sorry, I am from Ohio. City cops work the city limits where they come from. County Sherriffs work outside city limits in their respective counties. State Highway Patrol work the Highways and help backup all others.

Its not like you can throw beer cans out the window in front of someone outside their jurisdiction and expect them not to do something, but normally the city police dont do traffic stops way far away from their territory for everyday bs.

I say again, WTF?????

Link Posted: 8/30/2004 2:12:08 PM EDT
[#1]
I have to dig up the statute for you but all cops have all powers no matter where they are, the limitation is some have to be in uniform, I have heard off duty officers request a uniformed officer to make an arrest.

It's under a health and welfare statute.
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 2:13:09 PM EDT
[#2]
Anybody that has Washington State LEO credentials has juristiction anywhere in Washington State (the exceptions are federal juristictions such as Rainier National Park, or Ft. Lewis).
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 3:20:43 PM EDT
[#3]
WTF? Then why dont they just make them all State Police......

Man oh man......

Link Posted: 8/30/2004 4:01:49 PM EDT
[#4]
CavVet,

It could have been something that started up in thier jurisdiction.  As a cop, I can tell you that the last thing I want to do is make stops outside of my area, but if people are extra stupid, sometimes I have no choice.  

A quick example.  A guy was punching his very pregnant girlfriend in the stomach as I was driving by, for some strange reason, I felt obligated to deal with this.

Another example.  On the way home in a marked car, I see a car load of kids hit a road flagger in the face as they drive by.  Again, I felt obligated to do something.

If I deal with something outside of my area, it is more paperwork and aggravation for me, but every once in awhile, it needs to be done.

Hopefully this makes a little sense.  I'm not big into the police getting involved in peoples lives, nor am I a fan of big government, but sometimes things need police involvement.  
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 4:53:52 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Today I saw a King County Airport Police, as in Boeing Field, as in damn near downtown, doing a auto stop deep south County, like Federal Way.

King County Airport PD are part of KCSO, much like Sea-Tac, Covington and/or Maple Valley "PD". They all work for the Sheriff's Dept. and are contracted to different cities. In the case of the Airport PD, they are part of the Special Operations Group just like SWAT, Bomb Squad, Marine Unit and Search and Rescue. The reason they are Special Ops is because they are also certified for Crash/Fire/Rescue duties at the airport and they run the fire department (although Boeing has their own Fire Department there as well.)

I have seen Medina P.D. (eastside Bellevue) pull cars over on I-5 in Northgate.

Dunno....

And lets dont even bring up Port of Seattle Police.

Yeah, I have a POSPD Sgt. that lives by me. I saw hime pull a traffic stop once in his cruiser but some guy was driving like a clown. When I asked him about it later he told me that the Dept. discourages them from acting outside of their jurisdiction unless the violation is flagrant and/or the subject is a threat to themself or others. I don't think you'll find POSPD running traffic stops for speeding in downtown Renton or anything like that.

WTF?????

Sorry, I am from Ohio. City cops work the city limits where they come from. County Sherriffs work outside city limits in their respective counties. State Highway Patrol work the Highways and help backup all others.

Its not like you can throw beer cans out the window in front of someone outside their jurisdiction and expect them not to do something, but normally the city police dont do traffic stops way far away from their territory for everyday bs.

I say again, WTF?????

What can I say other than the usual: "It's good to live in a Police State... So long as you're the Police."
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 5:08:02 PM EDT
[#6]
Thats interesting to hear. So can I get pulled over in Olympia for drafting the SPD car at 75?
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 9:43:34 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Thats interesting to hear. So can I get pulled over in Olympia for drafting the SPD car at 75?

???
I thought the speed limit is 70?

Link Posted: 8/31/2004 8:44:13 AM EDT
[#8]
Good to know, just the other day I went flying by a SeaTac police car on 520.
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 10:37:42 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 3:27:51 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 11:02:48 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Hmm, and I walked on a 75 in a 60 tonight at 2200 on I-5. Third time in less than 12 months.

You guys must have suspicious faces.

My lawyer told me I gotta quit yelling at them when I get pulled over! j/k

Only things I ever walked on were 79 in a 70 and "failure to secure load". Staters both.
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 11:27:52 AM EDT
[#12]
You guys just need to learn what to say......

Officer: The reason I pull'd you over tonight is...

Me: Do you "KNOW" who I am?...hummmm DO YA!?!?!....MOTHER FUCKER!...HOW WOULD YOU LIKE TO RESPOND TO BARKING DOG CALLS THE REST OF YOUR LIFE!?!?!?!?...I CAN MAKE YOUR LIFE SHIT!...DO YOU HEAR WHAT IM SAYING?!?!?!

Officer: Fuck off R-32! are you going to so and so's party this weekend?

Me: yup!

Officer: see ya there!....and have a F-ing nice day cock breath!

Me: Dont stomp on anyones civil rights tonight!
....( and the officer is a very good friend of mine)

Link Posted: 9/14/2004 1:14:22 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Too Easy

Has the tree of liberty been watered lately?
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 1:40:06 PM EDT
[#14]
Awesome news.  This means if I get hired by SPD I can sit at the end of my mom's driveway in Tacoma and give her a fistfull of tickets when she leaves for work.  That's what she gets for not babysitting when I need her to.
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 10:32:13 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 11:01:35 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Too Easy

Has the tree of liberty been watered lately?

Like they would know what that means!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top