Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/29/2004 2:50:01 AM EDT
Saturday, August 28, 2004 - Page updated at 12:00 A.M.

Man charged with stalking singer Lavigne

By Jennifer Sullivan
Times Snohomish County bureau

Avril Lavigne says she's fearful of man charged with stalking her.

EVERETT — A 30-year-old Lynnwood man was charged yesterday with stalking punk-pop singer Avril Lavigne.

Snohomish County prosecutors said they've been investigating the case since soon after James Speedy's arrest April 7, hours before the Grammy-nominated singer was to give a free concert at Westfield Shoppingtown Southcenter.

When questioned by Lynnwood police earlier this year, Speedy said he sent letters, flowers, wine and e-mails to Lavigne, her family and her managers because he was fascinated by the 19-year-old singer.

Last summer he flew to Ontario and was arrested across the street from Lavigne's parents' home; according to a search warrant, Speedy told Canadian authorities that he traveled there to become a part of Lavigne's family.

Lynnwood Police Sgt. Steve Rider said that over the past year Lavigne and her family have told him they're fearful of Speedy. Lavigne's publicist couldn't be reached for comment yesterday.

Contacted Thursday, Speedy declined to comment on the allegations.

"It's certainly not the typical stalking case," said Wayne Fricke, Speedy's attorney. "I'm confident that he's not a risk to anyone and certainly not to this young woman." Fricke said his client is "certainly a fan" of Lavigne's. He said Speedy "exercised poor judgment" in showing his adoration for the star but doubts Speedy's actions can be considered stalking.

In a letter sent June 24, 2003, Speedy told Lavigne that his wife told him "the letters I send you may be causing a great deal of concern for you and your family." He said his wife compared his behavior with "something that a stalker might be prone to do."

In the same letter, Speedy conceded his wife might be right. At the end of the letter, Speedy told Lavigne that he would not contact her or her parents again, according to the warrant.

Canadian authorities didn't learn about Speedy's alleged obsession until after Lavigne's parents received several letters, flowers and wine.

But on July 17, 2003, when the family received what Speedy called a "courtesy notification" that he would be visiting Napanee, Ontario, the singer's parents called their local police, according to the Lynnwood warrant.

That day, Canadian authorities arrested Speedy outside the Lavignes' house in Napanee. Police drove him to the airport and let him return freely to the United States under the condition that he leave the singer and her family alone. He also was required to stay out of Canada for one year, said Sgt. Kip Wohlert of the Ontario Provincial Police.

Wohlert said he hasn't heard any reports of Speedy returning to Canada since he was arrested. He said he hasn't heard reports that Speedy has contacted Lavigne or her family since he was arrested by Lynnwood police. Though Canadian authorities warned Speedy to stay away from the singer, he sent e-mails to her managers in March asking for information about Lavigne's Southcenter concert. Speedy offered restaurant advice and promised that he had changed. He wrote that he wanted to make sure Lavigne was "comfortable" with him attending the concert, according to the Lynnwood search warrant.

Papers filed yesterday in Snohomish County Superior Court specify these two e-mails, sent March 8 and 10, prompted the stalking charge, a felony.

When Lynnwood police searched Speedy's home April 7, they found songs and letters addressed to Lavigne. They also found a shotgun, an assault rifle and a handgun, according to charging papers.
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 9:53:46 AM EDT
[#1]

he sent letters, flowers, wine

That doesn't sound like any of us cheap bastages!  Hmmmmmmm sending wine to a 19 year old?  Charge with that too!
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 9:57:04 AM EDT
[#2]
My money is on UHLEK.
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 9:58:08 AM EDT
[#3]
Is Lynwood in Lewis County????
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 10:04:10 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Same kind of Tards, but No.
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 10:18:56 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
My money is on UHLEK.

Might be his type.

Link Posted: 8/29/2004 10:27:04 AM EDT
[#6]

Did the guy punch her?

She's got 2 black eyes.

Link Posted: 8/29/2004 10:39:45 AM EDT
[#7]
Looks like she's been living out of the back of a van...err, is that the ever so fashionable zombie look.  
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 11:53:00 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Looks like she's been living out of the back of a van...err, is that the ever so fashionable zombie look.  

UHLEK, makes her live out of his B.O.B.
BTW: when it really comes down to it....Beauty is a lightswitch away!
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 2:17:10 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 10:18:01 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Same kind of Tards, but No.

LMAO

Link Posted: 8/30/2004 10:19:34 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Maybe that necromancer chick from the GD forum is really Avril Lavigne.
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 12:12:53 PM EDT
[#12]
i am not into the undead really
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 8:57:05 PM EDT
[#13]

Maybe that necromancer chick from the GD forum is really Avril Lavigne.

LMAO, you beat me to it!
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 11:38:04 AM EDT
[#14]
This probably all started when this psycho was on a message board and Avril posted "How do you like my new hair" with a picture and then everything got out of hand.
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 12:02:39 PM EDT
[#15]
I don't understand stalking her, she's pocket size, just run up and pick her up and take her home. Yes this is another of the long list of canadian female singers that I like.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top