Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/28/2004 6:59:50 PM EDT
And this is from the asshat who stood atop a Pioneer Square building watching over, and supervising the policing of the Fat Tuesday crowd in which over 70 people were injured and Kristopher Kime was killed.
seattlepi.nwsource.com/local/19855_chief23.shtml

csmonitor.com/2004/0824/p09s02-coop.html

Save the Assault Weapons Ban

By R. Gil Kerlikowske

SEATTLE – The late President Ronald Reagan affirmed to
Congress that a ban on assault weapons was common
sense public safety legislation. Through the tireless
efforts of law-enforcement leaders and concerned
citizens over many years working to rid the streets of
dangerous assault weapons, the Assault Weapons Ban was
finally passed into law in 1994. Congress passed this
landmark legislation with the support and approval of
Presidents Ford, Carter, and Clinton. The Assault
Weapons Ban has been successfully in effect for 10
years, but it seems that our success is coming to an
end.

Starting Sept. 14, our law-enforcement officers and
the general public will face a more dangerous
environment in our communities. It appears that
President Bush and Congress are going let the federal
Assault Weapons Ban expire. This makes no sense.

The ban was passed for very practical reasons. Prior
to 1994, criminals were armed with enough firepower to
outgun the police, making them nearly impossible to
subdue, and allowing them to wreak terrible havoc in
public places. The ban kept military-style assault
weapons out of the hands of criminals. Since the
passage of the ban, federal crime statistics show a
dramatic 66 percent drop in the incidence of assault
weapons traced to crimes. Given that, I can't think of
a rational reason not to renew this law.

Police across the nation face danger on the job daily.
Why should Congress and the president be allowed to
increase that danger? None of us - in the
law-enforcement or civilian community - should have to
face military-style assault weapons and high-capacity
magazines. Law-enforcement officers, for the most
part, take pride in the ability to maintain the peace
with a sidearm. If this ban is allowed to expire, our
nation's law-enforcement leaders will be faced with
the reality of having front-line officers out-gunned
by every street gang, drug trafficker, and common
criminal with access to the neighborhood
sporting-goods store. The reality is, when the family
firearm becomes an AK-47 or Tec-9 assault pistol, they
also become the easy weapon of choice for would-be
school shooters and other violent teens. How many more
lives will the gun lobby put at risk to sell more
assault weapons?

This issue needs leadership. As a presidential
candidate in 1999, Mr. Bush pledged to support
reauthorization of the ban. Time is running out for
him to follow through on his promise. With only five
working days left after Congress returns from vacation
Sept. 7, it's urgent that Bush direct Congress to
bring the ban to a vote.

We know that our best defense for public safety and
homeland security is the ability of law enforcers to
provide a degree of safety and security without having
to engage criminals armed with assault weapons. As
law-enforcement professionals, we must demand that our
lawmakers help by keeping in place proven legislation
that reduces crime and keeps our communities safe from
violence. It just makes sense.

• R. Gil Kerlikowske is the Seattle chief of police
Link Posted: 8/28/2004 7:03:23 PM EDT
[#1]
What a misinformed asshat!
Link Posted: 8/28/2004 8:08:11 PM EDT
[#2]
Isn't he a Kalfornia transplant?
Wouldn't it figure?
Link Posted: 8/28/2004 8:26:01 PM EDT
[#3]
Did you guys see the rebuttal by Reichert?

Reichert said there are statistics that can be used to support both sides of the debate. And there's at least one other distinction between the two top cops that could have something to do with their differing points of view, Reichert said.

"He's an appointed chief, and I'm an elected sheriff," Reichert said.

That cracks me up!!!

seattlepi.nwsource.com/local/188180_reichertguns27.html
Link Posted: 8/28/2004 8:57:10 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Did you guys see the rebuttal by Reichert?

Reichert said there are statistics that can be used to support both sides of the debate. And there's at least one other distinction between the two top cops that could have something to do with their differing points of view, Reichert said.

"He's an appointed chief, and I'm an elected sheriff," Reichert said.

That cracks me up!!!

seattlepi.nwsource.com/local/188180_reichertguns27.html

Reichert is talking out of his ass.  He's been too cozy with the antis for far too long.

Link Posted: 8/28/2004 9:01:37 PM EDT
[#5]

Since the
weapons traced to crimes.

He must get his numbers from Sarah.
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 7:24:49 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Since the

Where can this "statistic" be found?
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 7:55:46 AM EDT
[#7]
As said before, the number of crimes committed with "assault weapons" is so low that a change of just a few incidents either way would make a dramatic differance in the total percentage.  Numbers are there for us to use as we see fit.
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 8:32:51 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Isn't he a Kalfornia transplant?
Wouldn't it figure?

Somewhere back east. I think New Jersey.
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 9:51:27 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Since the

Where can this "statistic" be found?

He did get his numbers from sarah as did everyone else who uses that 66 percent number.

www.bradycampaign.org/press/release.php?release=546
"The report, "On Target: The Impact of the 1994 Federal Assault Weapons Act," is being released today by the Brady Center to Prevent Gun Violence. It is based on Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (ATF) crime gun trace data..."

There is a real problem with using the gun trace data though. (read that as it's total bullshit to use that data)

www.davekopel.org/2A/LawRev/CluelessBATFtracing.htm

Clueless:
The Misuse of BATF Firearms Tracing Data

"BATF has repeatedly stated that its trace data cannot be used to draw conclusions about patterns of criminal gun use or acquisition."

i2i.org/SuptDocs/Crime/istraces.html
Tracing Misinformation:

How Anti-gun Activists Misuse BATF Data

"The Congressional Research Services cautions that the "firearms Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms selected for tracing cannot be considered representative of the larger universe of all firearms used by criminals or any subset of that universe," because "the firearms selected for tracing do not constitute a random sample." As a result "ATF tracing data could be potentially biased."(10)

The BATF's National Tracing Center makes the same point, advising police departments that the trace data "ONLY reflects trends relating to those firearms for which a trace request is submitted and is only as accurate as the information provided by the trace requesters."(11)

One reason that BATF traces are not representative is that BATF currently rejects most requests to trace pre-1990 guns, since data for these guns are less readily available."
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 12:54:24 PM EDT
[#10]

Why the surprise?  These guys are republicans, right?  Just like George Bush, and George's father and Ronald Reagan, they support the Assault Weapons Ban.

If you oppose it, you really shouldn't be voting for republicans, or democrats for that matter.

It will expire for a few months because Bush is counting on gun owners to be too stupid to notice he's a gun grabber, before renewing it in Januaray.

(After all, he did promise you all he'd renew it...)   But you're going to vote for him any way, aren't you?

You vote for a gun grabber, and you lose the right to complain about any gun bans... .including the AWB (if you voted for Bush 1 you have no right to complain.)

Link Posted: 9/6/2004 5:15:13 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Why the surprise?  These guys are republicans, right?  Just like George Bush, and George's father and Ronald Reagan, they support the Assault Weapons Ban.

If you oppose it, you really shouldn't be voting for republicans, or democrats for that matter.

It will expire for a few months because Bush is counting on gun owners to be too stupid to notice he's a gun grabber, before renewing it in Januaray.

(After all, he did promise you all he'd renew it...)   But you're going to vote for him any way, aren't you?

You vote for a gun grabber, and you lose the right to complain about any gun bans... .including the AWB (if you voted for Bush 1 you have no right to complain.)

And if you piss away your vote for some Libertarian that has NO CHANCE of ever winning anything, have you really accomplished anything at all?  I think not.  Also, Bush never said he would WORK to reautorize the ban.  He said he would sign the legislation IF it hit his desk.  Political double speak to be sure, but it was a calculated risk given that Republicans control the Legislature.  Also, there are plenty of pro-RKBA, 2nd Amendment and gun rights Republicans out there.  Lumping them all together as "gun grabbers" just shows how ignorant you really are.

I also don't subscribe to this bullshit idea that you can't complain about something an elected has done because you voted for them.  There isn't a single politician, not now, not in the past, not EVER that will hold exactly all the same views that I do (unless I become one.)  Participation in a republic requires that you choose the candidate that MOST believes the same way you do.  I consider myself a Republican, but you'll never see me ask for an abortion ban.  Also, I don't believe in religion, but that still doesn't preclude me from voting mostly Republican, who are typically more religious than I.

[tinfoil hat] In my opinion, the people who clammor for Republicans to vote Libertarian are really involved in a left wing conspiracy with the Democratic party to completely remove Republicans from power.  Every Republican they can convince to piss away their vote for a Libertarian candidate just strengthens the position of the Democrats in all three branches of government.  While I believe in quite a few Libertarian ideas, the rest of their "plank" is full of such ridiculous bullshit that I could never, EVER vote for one.[tinfoil hat]
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 11:51:45 AM EDT
[#12]
Don't think for a minute that Mr. Gil speaks for the real cops.  He spews typical political BS that is so far removed from the truth, I won't even bother trying to rebut it here.  
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 3:16:24 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Why the surprise? These guys are republicans, right? Just like George Bush, and George's father and Ronald Reagan, they support the Assault Weapons Ban.

(After all, he did promise you all he'd renew it...) But you're going to vote for him any way, aren't you?

1) President Bush adn the Republicans aren't being adressed in this thread, please learn to read.

2) Who has a better chance of carrying WA and not signing any more anti-gun legislation George Bush or the Libretarian candidate?  It's George Bush and you know it, your candiditate has no chance in hell of winning in any state, go ahead flush your vote down the toilet you are not helping the cause.

Quoted:

And it says that where exactly in the Constition Mr Libertarian?
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 5:15:50 PM EDT
[#14]
You guys quit badmouthing Kerlikowskie.  He's alright in my book
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 6:51:22 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Ya suck up jack boot junior!  
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 9:39:15 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Your just kissing his ass 'cause you wanna job
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 10:29:21 PM EDT
[#17]
Kerlikowske - the same chief who received a unanimous 'no confidence' vote from his subordinates...

His own people don't trust him, but yet the rest of the city should. Glad I don't contribute to his salary.

Asshat.
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 8:35:48 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I thought it would take longer for someone to catch it.  

"Wear you seatbelt punk!"  How's that?  
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 8:37:45 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'm offended that you would say that.  How's the cigar store beat?
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 8:53:25 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I thought it would take longer for someone to catch it.  

"Wear you seatbelt punk!"  How's that?  

Wait a second officer, you pulled me over to tell me to wear my seatbelt when it's perfectly clear that I already was wearing my seatbelt?

What's your badge number?  I believe we havea blind jjbt on the beat and IA needs to know about this.

Punk?  That's clearly walkingbacon jargon for crackamuthafrikker, I'm fed up with this reverse racism you jbts throw around just so you can get off everytime you gun a blackman down in cold blood, like the poor brutha by Northgate who only had two knives and charged the pistol happy hamhocks today and was blasted to bits.  Ya'll had to go right for the gat didn't ya?  

I'm watching you boy!

Link Posted: 9/8/2004 8:59:10 PM EDT
[#21]
To the author of the original post who is so dissapointed and misinformed' have you read any statistics about the EFFECTIVENESS (or complete lack their of) of this ban?  THESE WEAPONS WITH MAYBE THE EXCEPTION OF THE TEC-9 ALMOST NEVER SHOW UP IN VIOLENT CRIME, AND ITS NOT BECAUSE OF THE BAN.  VARIANTS OF EVERYTHING ON THE BAN LIST ARE READILY AVAILABLE.  This ban was only passed because of GENERAL PUBLIC IGNORRANCE as they were led to beleive these were fully automatic weapons that often turned up in crime, THEY DONT!  Might I suggest pulling your head out of your arse and getting the FACTS this was a ban that did nothing but inconvenience legal gun owners.
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 9:00:55 PM EDT
[#22]
Mattl, Phil is certainly on our side, to be clear, he was quoteing Kerlikowske.
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 9:03:43 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
To the author of the original post who is so dissapointed and misinformed' have you read any statistics about the EFFECTIVENESS (or complete lack their of) of this ban?  THESE WEAPONS WITH MAYBE THE EXCEPTION OF THE TEC-9 ALMOST NEVER SHOW UP IN VIOLENT CRIME, AND ITS NOT BECAUSE OF THE BAN.  VARIANTS OF EVERYTHING ON THE BAN LIST ARE READILY AVAILABLE.  This ban was only passed because of GENERAL PUBLIC IGNORRANCE as they were led to beleive these were fully automatic weapons that often turned up in crime, THEY DONT!  Might I suggest pulling your head out of your arse and getting the FACTS this was a ban that did nothing but inconvenience legal gun owners.

Wellllllllllllllllllll MR 1 post, why don't you try a little reading comprehension sometime before you start attacking posters who have merely quoted a published opinion piece written by the chief of police in a major US city?

How about you pull my size 12 boot out of your ARSE before you piss me off and I decide to get medival on your lame ass?

Link Posted: 9/8/2004 9:05:19 PM EDT
[#24]
At least he is YOUR city chief and not mine......

Link Posted: 9/8/2004 9:14:47 PM EDT
[#25]
BRAVO! BRAVO!!
Well done!!

Quoted:

Wellllllllllllllllllll MR 1 post, why don't you try a little reading comprehension sometime before you start attacking posters who have merely quoted a published opinion piece written by the chief of police in a major US city?

How about you pull my size 12 boot out of your ARSE before you piss me off and I decide to get medival on your lame ass?

Link Posted: 9/8/2004 9:18:01 PM EDT
[#26]
Wow Phil, that was...harsh
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 12:28:05 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'm offended that you would say that.  How's the cigar store beat?

OUCH!
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 5:32:44 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Somebody has a rectal/cranial inversion going on. Reading comprehension is your friend.
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 12:13:42 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

That was not the greatest first post in Afrcom history. Everybody here wants the ban to sunset, but we do keep up with local politics here in Soccer Mom Liberal Land.
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 3:18:49 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

That was not the greatest first post in Afrcom history. Everybody here wants the ban to sunset, but we do keep up with local politics here in Soccer Mom Liberal Land.

His second and only other post was a winner too.  According to him,  the Beretta 92FS is so unreliable that it should only be used at the range.  
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 4:17:21 PM EDT
[#31]
Why do homosexuals fear semi automatic rifles ? Some University should do a study on that.
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 5:36:33 PM EDT
[#32]
Just watched this Asshat arguing for the X AWB on TV Vs. Wayne. What a Jerk, it's like he's trying to get himself to be elected to be the next FOP head goon He went on and on about how all the " Liberal Appointed " Big City Chiefs support the ban !
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 7:02:29 PM EDT
[#33]
I live two blocks from the chief and he can't keep every other car from being stolen around here, and more often than ever people get jumped and beat up by the local thugs, all in the chiefs own back yard.He can't protect shit and he wants US to be undefended. Didn't know till now he's from Kalifornia. BY the way the Gov. of CA just banned the .50 BMG from civilians even though it has never been used in a crime in over 80 years, he's not even a fuckin American and he's taking another piece of OUR heritage, but I am sure you guys already knew that.
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 7:36:59 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
I live two blocks from the chief and he can't keep every other car from being stolen around here, and more often than ever people get jumped and beat up by the local thugs, all in the chiefs own back yard.He can't protect shit and he wants US to be undefended. Didn't know till now he's from Kalifornia. BY the way the Gov. of CA just banned the .50 BMG from civilians even though it has never been used in a crime in over 80 years, he's not even a fuckin American and he's taking another piece of OUR heritage, but I am sure you guys already knew that.

That may not be true anymore .  

Donin Wright may have used a Barrett to fire at firefighters and police in Missouri in Feb 2004.  I don't recall offhand if any of the shots fired were positively identified as being 50 cal.

Marvin Heemeyer did have a Barrett in his bulldozer, when he flattened part of Granby, Colorado.  Did he fire it?

You will however note that on any list of so-called 50 caliber crimes there are very few if any crimes listed that actually involve the firing of the gun.  ie, BobBung was arrested for jaywalking in Seattle and when authorities towed his vehicle they found a small arsenal including a 50 Caliber rilfle 20 round of ammuntion and a military knife  (Swiss army!)
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 7:42:32 PM EDT
[#35]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top