Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/19/2004 10:12:41 AM EDT
Hey I noticed this issue on the AZ Homietown Forum. Where the Library posted a sign "No Weapons Allowed".

My question: When you walk to town concealing a weapon and decide to visit the library what are you suppose to do with it... I often walk to town and I am wondering where I am suppose to put this hunk of metal when I go to the Post Office and Public Library? I have heard some places have lock boxes but not here. Were these laws made thinking that everyone has a glove box handy? I would think the person taking the bus, biking and walking might have more of a need to carry???

Any ideas?

MT

After you give me your ideas I will post what the Chief O'Police says...
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 11:00:47 AM EDT
[#1]
C/C and keep your trap shut!...

If you know you are going somewhere where you should not be packing.....Dont pack.
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 11:34:27 AM EDT
[#2]
I guess must have the day's agenda and events planned out when one straps on a weapon?

I rarely pack a weapon but when I do why should it limit me from being able to complete my everyday tasks?

MT
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 11:53:37 AM EDT
[#3]
Is there really that many places that you go in a day that you may not pack?...

I have packed everyday for years, I have never had a prob.

Are you trying to get us to say that everyone should provide you with a lockbox or something?...

If you are " Walking to town" then you have to live with what you are doing, But most people will just lock it in the car/truck.....

Otherwise as posted above...

Keep your trap shut and go about your business.
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 12:11:28 PM EDT
[#4]
Well it doesn't seem to concern many so I will leave it at that.

MT
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 12:55:59 PM EDT
[#5]
Seriously, I don't ever remember seeing a no firearms sign with the exception of bars and taverns which is a state law.
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 2:24:29 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Seriously, I don't ever remember seeing a no firearms sign with the exception of bars and taverns which is a state law.

Add court and gunshows and you have my complete list.

Link Posted: 8/19/2004 2:40:40 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Well it doesn't seem to concern many so I will leave it at that.

MT

Of course it doesn't concern us because the library, a public library such as the brand new one in dowtown Seattle, cannot by law prohibit you from carrying your pistol with your valid CPL.  They can put a sign up but it will have no legal standing.

If you are talking abotu a College campus library than be specific as to which one concerns you and I can address it.

As for the post office, you're screwed, they can and have posted them as of limits and it's a legal posting.

I'll refer you to RCW 9.41.300 for further notice of places that the legal carrying of a concealed pistol is prohibited.

Link Posted: 8/19/2004 4:51:05 PM EDT
[#8]
I don't see how it matters which college campus library you're speaking about.  Doesn't the school firearm ban extend to call schools regardless of public/private/ or school grade level?
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 5:11:15 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
I don't see how it matters which college campus library you're speaking about.  Doesn't the school firearm ban extend to call schools regardless of public/private/ or school grade level?

If you are talking about RCW 9.41.280 that only addresses public or private elementary or secondary schools, grounds, or area of facilities while being used exclusively by public or private schools.  It does not cover Colleges.

However a check of WAC (Washington Administrative Code) will show that every state university, community college campus, and vocational technical school has enacted some type of prohibition against carrying firearms, the wording of the exact regualtion varys from school to school.
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 10:13:07 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

If you are talking about RCW 9.41.280 that only addresses public or private elementary or secondary schools, grounds, or area of facilities while being used exclusively by public or private schools.  It does not cover Colleges.

However a check of WAC (Washington Administrative Code) will show that every state university, community college campus, and vocational technical school has enacted some type of prohibition against carrying firearms, the wording of the exact regualtion varys from school to school.

Interesting.  
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 10:30:23 PM EDT
[#11]
This is just a small town public library. I think I know the answer I will get...

The Chief will tell me to leave what ever I want with him until I leave town....

MT
Link Posted: 8/20/2004 5:32:10 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
This is just a small town public library. I think I know the answer I will get...

The Chief will tell me to leave what ever I want with him until I leave town....

MT

WTF?

1) How is the chief going to know you are carrying concelead?

2) The public library cannot prohibit you from carrying concealed using your valid CPL.  UNless your town has done something silly like putting the libarry together with a post office, federal court, bar, etc.

Link Posted: 8/20/2004 12:20:15 PM EDT
[#13]
So what you are saying is....the Public Library cannot keep me from carrying a concealed weapon on their property?

My point is that there are so many places hanging up "No Weapons Allowed" signs that when you travel by bus, bike or walk with a weapon concealed you very little choice in breaking a law. And if they laws that people don't follow, by not disarming, then why have the law in the first place?

MT

(I know the Chief fairly well, it is a small town..)
Link Posted: 8/20/2004 12:32:44 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
So what you are saying is....the Public Library cannot keep me from carrying a concealed weapon on their property?

My point is that there are so many places hanging up "No Weapons Allowed" signs that when you travel by bus, bike or walk with a weapon concealed you very little choice in breaking a law. And if they laws that people don't follow, by not disarming, then why have the law in the first place?

MT

Fuck 'em.  We're the ones with the guns!!!

ETA:  I am not a lawyer nor do I play one on TV.  This is not, in any way, to be construed as professional legal advice....
Link Posted: 8/20/2004 2:44:30 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

MT

I'm saying exactly that.  The public library cannot keep you from carrying concealed.

Other places, well now that's a totally different story.  Private property is indeed private property and they can put up a no weapons/no guns allowed sign and it will carry some legal weight.  

Let's say for example your local mom and pop video rental store puts up a no guns allowed sign on their door and via their X-ray (because it's concealed and you didn't do anything that could be considered brandishing) vision mom and pop notice that you have a gun in their store so they call Barney Fife in to bust your head over it.  My understanding (as I don't seem to have a hard factual reference right at my fingertips at this moment) is that all Barney can do is have you leave mom and pops private property.  

State law tells you where you aren't legally allowed to carry RCW 9.41.300 (jails, courts, mental health facilities, "bars") RCW 9.41.280 ((elementary and secondary schools) with some rigid exceptions) RCW 70.108.150 (outdoor music festivals).  Federal law tells us no carrying in federal facilities.  
Link Posted: 8/20/2004 2:51:35 PM EDT
[#16]
I'll pipe in here just to add that in some areas of the country (not all sure about your place, though) the library is considered a government building and here in Indiana, I believe, that there are restrictions on carrying in a government building.  In my library we have a policy stating that no weapons are allowed, however, I have yet to have this be an issue and I know for certain that there are people who have carried concealed in our building.  Generally, if you don't make an issue out of it, we won't make an issue out of it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top