Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/17/2004 9:08:59 PM EDT
Went up last weekend and had a good time shooting my brother's AR-15 and my FAL.  Sat around in lawn chairs with the .22 pistols shooting at whatever we could pick out on the range.  Then afterwards on the way down we roled one of the cars.  After we flipped it over and were figuring out what to do with it a couple Forest Service trucks drove by along with a county sherriff.  I guess you have to be 150 yards off the road if you're shooting in a National Forest.

If you drive up that road that goes south from the freeway there is a great big open spot maybe ten miles up or so.  Great shooting spot except for all the trash that is up there.  Anybody know where I'm talking about?

Link Posted: 8/17/2004 9:10:55 PM EDT
[#1]
Wow, how fast was that thing going when it rolled? Did anyone get a ticket?
Link Posted: 8/17/2004 9:20:05 PM EDT
[#2]
1) I trust and hope that everyone's ok.

2) Did a tree jump out in front of you guys or something?  AKA how in the hell do you roll a low CG car on a gravel road?

3) This might top 2wP trying to fly his quad through the woods.  We need more of the story to give a score though.
Link Posted: 8/17/2004 9:50:29 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
3) This might top 2wP trying to fly his quad through the woods.  We need more of the story to give a score though.

Link Posted: 8/18/2004 1:27:58 AM EDT
[#4]
Did any of your guns get hurt?
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 1:41:46 AM EDT
[#5]
Why would you want to flip your car and get the police involved?
Me? I would have stayed on all four wheels and saved myself the hassle.
But hey, that's just me.

BTW, there are these things called "rules" that are posted on the US Forest Service web site that give out all sorts of good information.
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 4:22:10 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 8:31:02 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
From USDA Forest Service FAQ's for Mt. Baker-Snoqualmie:

What are the fishing, hunting, and firearm regulations in the Mt. Baker-Snoqualmie National Forest?

The Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife regulates hunting and fishing activities even on National Forest land. Find the rules and regulations on the Washington State website.

Firearms: Firing a gun is not allowed: a) In or within 150 yards of a residence, building, campsite, developed recreation site, or occupied area b) Across or on a road or body of water c) In any circumstance whereby a person may be injured or property damaged.

You can't shoot on or across a road, but I don't think you need to be 150 yards FROM the road.  At least, that is not how I read it.
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 8:50:27 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Why would you want to flip your car and get the police involved?
Me? I would have stayed on all four wheels and saved myself the hassle.
But hey, that's just me.

BTW, there are these things called "rules" that are posted on the US Forest Service web site that give out all sorts of good information.

I think the plan was to stay on all four wheels.  We didn't call anybody, the driver only got a few little cuts from the drivers window breaking.  The Forest Service just happened along and they called the Sherriff in.  However, they were kind enough to break out the bandaids and patch the driver up.  The Sherriff didn't write a ticket but did make out an accident report.

How it happened: We were tear assing at about 80 mph down the gravel road.  It's a long gradual turn that we were drifting around when the front wheels dug into some unusually deep gravel and diverted us towards an embankment.  He countersteered and got us going in the right direction again, but we were too far over and carrying far too much speed.  From what our friends in the BMW say, we got about 30 ft off the ground and jumped about 100 ft in distance, we then slid an additional 75 ft or so.  I think we completed 3.5 rotations in midair with an additional 2 rotations once we hit the ground.  We both walked away, after our compatriots in the BMW got to us, pulled the driver out of the window and broke open my door by shooting it (you know, like they do in the movies).  

What actually happened: We were doing about 35 down the road and it got a little squirly on us.  Ended up to far over and headed at a roadside obstacle that we were hoping was just some bushes.  Turns out it was a pile of dirt.  Flipped the left side of the car up further than the right.  The nose dug in and dropped it down onto the driver side of the roof the rolled the rest of the way.  He climbed out the broken drivers window, my brother pried open my door and cut the seat belt so I could crawl out.  Too bad I didn't have him go get the camera and take a picture of us hanging there.

Edit: The only guns that were in the car were a .22 bolt rifle and a .22 pistol, and no, the guns were fine.
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 9:36:00 AM EDT
[#9]
I think I will take the part about tear assing at 80 MPH from the first story and then add the details from the " What really happened" in the second part. and that is more than likely what really happened.  ( at least after 10 years or running car accidents w/ the fire dept.)and im glad to hear the guns are O.K.

Now please stay out of my area, we have too many people that tearass and screw it up for everyone else as it is...
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 11:23:31 AM EDT
[#10]
It wasn't very spectacular, we were going about 30, maybe 35, in my estimation.  The role was more of a up and over kind of deal.  The car ended up maybe 20 ft from the embankment.  So other than getting to look up at the ground it wasn't that cool.  Still would have been nice to have it on video though.
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 11:46:33 AM EDT
[#11]
As long as no one got hurt that is all that really counts in the end....

Now go get a truck!
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 12:15:38 PM EDT
[#12]
If it had rolled off the road, you could have used it as a target.
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 4:15:24 PM EDT
[#13]
What kind of car rolled?   Could you drive it away after flipping it back over?  Did you save your beer through the roll????
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 4:28:11 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Now go get a truck!

yeah because trucks don't roll over easier than cars do!

Link Posted: 8/18/2004 4:33:55 PM EDT
[#15]
You should edit out the details of that shooting spot, it's one of my favorites!  Don't let them take it from us... =)
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 1:20:52 PM EDT
[#16]
Next time we're thinking of borrowing my dad's van and trailer and cleaning it up.  That spot is like a dump.  Not as bad as #38 though.  It was a Volkswagen Scirocco that roled, we blew out a tire and bent a control arm.  And I have been thinking of getting a truck, but there's no way I'm getting rid of my Jetta.
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 5:31:01 PM EDT
[#17]
that reminds me of Erex up there. He almost went over the edge in his car fuckin around up there.
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 10:14:36 PM EDT
[#18]
Awesome, about how far of a drive, say, from Bellevue?
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 11:44:56 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Now go get a truck!

I'll look into it...
Link Posted: 8/20/2004 4:59:15 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

I would guess about 40 minutes, but I'm not paying much attention to time.  I'm in Bellevue too.
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 6:52:45 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
If it had rolled off the road, you could have used it as a target.

Make that rolled 150 yards off the road.
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 9:32:51 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I would guess about 40 minutes, but I'm not paying much attention to time.  I'm in Bellevue too.

Exit 47 is about 37 miles from the I-90/I-405 interchange.  Just past Issaquah, the speed limit is 70.  I would figure 40 to 50 minutes, depending on traffic.
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 11:48:32 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Now go get a truck!

Depends, maybe the bumper got stuck on a berm that a truck would have rolled over.  Either way, what the hell????? Kids these days!
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 1:31:44 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
Went up last weekend and had a good time shooting my brother's AR-15 and my FAL.  Sat around in lawn chairs with the .22 pistols shooting at whatever we could pick out on the range.  Then afterwards on the way down we roled one of the cars.  After we flipped it over and were figuring out what to do with it a couple Forest Service trucks drove by along with a county sherriff.  I guess you have to be 150 yards off the road if you're shooting in a National Forest.

If you drive up that road that goes south from the freeway there is a great big open spot maybe ten miles up or so.  Great shooting spot except for all the trash that is up there.  Anybody know where I'm talking about?

Btw, was this an actual shooting range, or just an open field where you shot at?
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 7:36:41 AM EDT
[#25]

Those are about as good pictures as I have of the place, I should take one from further back just to show what it looks like.

If you go up there, please pack out the stuff you bring up, at least the big pieces of trash.

Don't leave any cars sitting around:

or they turn into this:
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 8:58:46 AM EDT
[#26]
I contemplated shooting my car but it would've looked REALLY bad had the Park Rangers saw that.  "Lets roll the car then shoot it!"  Hey! Great idea.

Next time any one goes up to exit 47 or anywhere for that matter, please pick your trash up.  Thats why we lose a lot of great shooting spots.

-Rob
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 4:09:44 PM EDT
[#27]
awesome pics.  Now i'll know exactly what to look for when i search for it.  Btw, i have a set of those Ultimate 10 too.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top