Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/10/2004 9:14:26 PM EDT
Hi all,

I have a few questions for you, and need some advice on the various gun laws there.  I am in California, and my mother is currently living in Seattle.  She just called me to tell me that a serial rapist is working in her neighborhood, and has attacked 3 women so far this week.  One of them was right behind her house, and the other two were a few houses down.  She called me to ask me how she can get a gun.

Here's the problem:  she is a california resident living there, but is not a permanent resident.  Is there any way that she can even buy a gun there?  If not through a dealer, could she buy one privately, through a dealer?  Or, could I bring my gun up there for her to have for a while, and if so, how would I go about it legally?  Are there any problems with that?  I live in CA where they are pretty weird about the gun laws here, which is why I'm a bit paranoid about making sure that I do things legally.

She is, understandably, pretty freaked out, especially since she lives alone.  I would greatly appreciate any help and/or suggestions that anyone could offer

Thank you very much in advance for your help

Tiffany
Link Posted: 5/10/2004 9:58:41 PM EDT
[#1]
I haven't read RCW or USC in a while but I think you have to live there six months before you can purchse a pistol ( I assume you're talking about a handgun here).  If you are talking about longuns, those can be purchased in another state from where you reside.

If she has lived in WA for six months, she can go get a state identification card and use that to purchase a handgun.

Respectfully, if she has neither the training to use the handgun safely or the mindset/willingness to use deadly force then she should invest in some training.  Without it the gun will not be of much use to her.

My .02
Link Posted: 5/10/2004 10:12:10 PM EDT
[#2]
OK she obviously lives in West Seattle.

Have her call over to Wades in Bellevue and talk to I think Cathy? in the range portion, Cathy? can advise her on the legalites and also offer instruction.

(425) 649-5995
Link Posted: 5/10/2004 10:22:53 PM EDT
[#3]
Cathy? is the 'Instructress'.

Somebody dubbed her with that name years ago.  What-his-name, the famous gunwriter...
Link Posted: 5/10/2004 10:33:17 PM EDT
[#4]
i don't believe that a person with a california drivers license can buy a long gun in washington. there are only certain states which a person can be from and buy a firearm, and i don't think california is one of them. i have a list of them at work and can see tomorrow if i don't forget. if she goes and gets a Wa drivers license then that is not a problem. to establish washington residency you have to live here for 90 days, so the amount of time here before you can buy a handgun should only be 90 days also. i agree with turok, if she doesn't know how to use it she should get some training first.  

amazing how people don't realize they need a firearm until it hits close to home.
Link Posted: 5/10/2004 10:47:19 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
OK she obviously lives in West Seattle.

Have her call over to Wades in Bellevue and talk to I think Cathy? in the range portion, Cathy? can advise her on the legalites and also offer instruction.

(425) 649-5995

Cathy is no longer at Wades.

Talk to Max or Jimmy.

90 days is the law for residency i think, I do not know about Face to Face regulations, although they are legal in WA state. (IF I had to guess, I would say face to face mirrors state law for residency, YMMV )

Non Resident CCW permits are also shall issue (you apply they must approve!) although they have 60 days to issue them.

Edited to add: I just called my local PD. Like most PD's with gun laws I disagree on what they think the law is. They say she can legally buy a handgun even if she is a non-resident. I am 99.999% sure you MUST buy handguns in your state of record. You can buy long arms out of state. I am also VERY anal about legal parameters and am very confident in my facts and figures. Almost enough to bet money.

Link Posted: 5/10/2004 10:59:44 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
i don't believe that a person with a california drivers license can buy a long gun in washington.

I am fairly confident that is your company policy. I am also fairly (99.99999%) sure the .fed regulation is anyone can buy longarm anywhere. Handgun is home state only.
Link Posted: 5/11/2004 12:10:18 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:
i don't believe that a person with a california drivers license can buy a long gun in washington.

I am fairly confident that is your company policy. I am also fairly (99.99999%) sure the .fed regulation is anyone can buy longarm anywhere. Handgun is home state only.

i think you are right that fed rules say anyone can buy a long gun anywhere, but most, if not every, state have special laws regarding what non residents can buy long guns in their state.

i know the only non residents that can buy long guns in kentucky are from states contiguous to kentucky ie: tennessee, missouri, ohio, indiana, virginia, w virginia, illinois(w/ FOID). i am almost positive that washington has the same type of law, will do a little diggin and see what i can come up with.
Link Posted: 5/11/2004 12:24:48 AM EDT
[#8]
i found this so far:

RCW 9.41.124
Purchasing by nonresidents.
Residents of a state other than Washington may purchase rifles and shotguns in Washington: PROVIDED, That such residents conform to the applicable provisions of the federal Gun Control Act of 1968, Title IV, Pub. L. 90-351 as administered by the United States secretary of the treasury: AND PROVIDED FURTHER, That such residents are eligible to purchase or possess such weapons in Washington and in the state in which such persons reside.

looks like Wa may not be as restrictive as Ky. i know there are some states i can't sell to at work, although apparently they using wrong info. i will do a little more research into this, and "try" to set them straight at work.
Link Posted: 5/11/2004 1:25:20 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 5/11/2004 7:40:28 AM EDT
[#10]
Rememebr that she's a temporary resident.  In order to get a WA ID (necessary for a handgun) she would have to surrender her CA ID.  The voided mine when I moved here.

Hey Tweak, are you voluntering to take another newbie under your wing?

One more thing, besides the training, she may need some additional guidance to avoid being screwed at the cash register.  I made a few stupid and gullible decisions myself when I started out.
Link Posted: 5/11/2004 7:45:24 AM EDT
[#11]
Thanks for your suggestions.  Yeah, before she moved up to Seattle, I took her to the range quite a bit, although she is also looking for some kind of training once she gets the gun.  She always meant to, and even though I've been talking to her about this for a while, she was just too busy to take care of this.  I'm glad that she is finally seeing that this needs to be taken care of now, I'm just sad that it took a potential threat to her life to do it.

She works as a relocation agent on the sound transit project, and gets threatened sometimes by the people that she relocates.  I understand the anger, but she really tries to help them as much as possible, and get them all the money that she can to help them move.  She has been talking about getting a CCW for a while, this is just stepping things into high gear.

I'll have her call Wades.  Can she legally do a private buy in WA w/out a background?  here in cali, do NOT even think about it!  I really appreciate your help guys, thanks
Link Posted: 5/11/2004 7:48:53 AM EDT
[#12]
so, let me see if I get this straight......might/are some problems in getting a handgun, but she can get a long gun, like a shotgun, right?
Link Posted: 5/11/2004 8:18:57 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
so, let me see if I get this straight......might/are some problems in getting a handgun, but she can get a long gun, like a shotgun, right?

She can legally buy a long gun. Period. Public or Private, and Kooter provided the applicable reg above.

Kooter, while I agre with you they are offbase, I would save my breath, its probably a corporate thing, and you would be pissin up a rope.

Link Posted: 5/11/2004 9:17:43 AM EDT
[#14]
I am sure they are a few here in the Washington forumn that would private sale a handgun to your mom. Oh look I live in Wst Seattle to....
Link Posted: 5/11/2004 9:26:57 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
I am sure they are a few here in the Washington forumn that would private sale a handgun to your mom. Oh look I live in Wst Seattle to....

I just called Bens and they say private sale is legal without residency provided she meets criteria for a gun sale period. Non felon, non crazy, etc.....

Link Posted: 5/11/2004 9:38:45 AM EDT
[#16]
Dont know if this will help but last year my fatherinlaw and I were looking at a beretta 20 ga for him.  He is from Cali, visiting and when he did the background check, the lady on the phone said that since he is from California, he cant purchase a firearm out of state.  He wanted to purchase and the store wanted to sell.  But no dice when going through the check.  BTW: he has a clean record.
Link Posted: 5/11/2004 9:58:03 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
I just called Bens and they say private sale is legal without residency provided she meets criteria for a gun sale period. Non felon, non crazy, etc.....

Never stopped Bigscrun from getting one!
Link Posted: 5/11/2004 9:59:59 AM EDT
[#18]
Thanks guys.  My mom has asked me to come up to help her out with this, so I'll be in Seattle tonight, figuring out what she can and can't do.  I really appreciate all of your help and advice.  She's staying with friends, but she can't stay there forever.  She's a realist who is fully prepared to use force, lethal if necessary, to protect herself.  Thanks again.  Any more suggestions would be welcome
Link Posted: 5/11/2004 10:41:04 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
She can legally buy a long gun. Period. Public or Private, and Kooter provided the applicable reg above.

To expound on that a little further, she can legally buy any long gun in Washington that she could legally buy in California. So that means no ARs, AKs, etc or whatever else has been outlawed in the land of fruits and nuts. I would think a typical shotgun should be no problem.

BUT, regarding private sales, I thought that Federal regulations forbid them between residents of different states. To be legal they need to go through a FFL on a 4473.
Link Posted: 5/11/2004 2:30:28 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 5/11/2004 3:37:19 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

To expound on that a little further, she can legally buy any long gun in Washington that she could legally buy in California. So that means no ARs, AKs, etc or whatever else has been outlawed in the land of fruits and nuts. I would think a typical shotgun should be no problem.

BUT, regarding private sales, I thought that Federal regulations forbid them between residents of different states. To be legal they need to go through a FFL on a 4473.

My personal belief you are 110% correct.
Link Posted: 5/11/2004 5:43:21 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 5/11/2004 10:10:55 PM EDT
[#23]
On the good news size, the 11pm news indicates that the police know exactly who the teenager doing these attacks is.
Link Posted: 5/11/2004 10:18:08 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

This is 110% Correct CavVet....

No residency No hanggun....Legally speaking....Doesn't mean she couldn't bring one of "her" own from California to have while she is here...

Link Posted: 5/12/2004 5:34:37 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
On the good news size, the 11pm news indicates that the police know exactly who the teenager doing these attacks is.

As of this morning the little puke is in custody.  Still, never let your guard down.  There is sure to be another asshole right behind him to take his place.

BTW, he is from, guess where...KOMMIEFORNIA!!  Why don't you guys keep your nut cases to yourself!
Link Posted: 5/12/2004 10:52:33 AM EDT
[#26]
Heyyyyyyyyy

Don't blame all Californians for the actions of a few......

So, update.  I'm here in sunny Seattle, and took my mom to the range yesterday, and I have a call in to Cathy about instructing my mom in all the things that she needs to know.  She got a state ID card today, so we are in the process of getting her armed and prepared.

We were both relieved to hear that the little *&^() got caught, but my mom has learned an important lesson.  She is still fully commited to arming herself and preparing herself, she understands now when I say that it is better to have and not need than to need and not have.
Link Posted: 5/12/2004 11:06:06 AM EDT
[#27]
Well since you are here..... how about some beers? Do I need to ask, 2WP?, Phil? Cav?
Link Posted: 5/12/2004 12:10:38 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
Well since you are here..... how about some beers? Do I need to ask, 2WP?, Phil? Cav?

I could be in. Depends on if/when I need to get Mrs whiskey tonight.
Link Posted: 5/12/2004 1:59:56 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

And you didn't include me?  After I gave you your sigline....
Link Posted: 5/12/2004 3:03:57 PM EDT
[#30]
Maybe...when?  where?
Link Posted: 5/12/2004 3:45:39 PM EDT
[#31]
Actually I have a better idea. Friday night, Kell's Irish pub in Post Alley Downtown Seattle I was there last Friday and it kicked ASS. Any takers?
Link Posted: 5/12/2004 5:27:55 PM EDT
[#32]
Two questions:

How come the Washington State board is so civil to a female poster?
Why do 99.9% of all Washington State posts end up being about 2whiskeyP and drinking?
Link Posted: 5/12/2004 5:59:17 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 5/12/2004 6:04:34 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 5/12/2004 6:25:15 PM EDT
[#35]
oh the truth in those statements.....
Link Posted: 5/13/2004 12:15:04 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Link Posted: 5/13/2004 1:42:46 AM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 5/13/2004 1:53:39 PM EDT
[#38]
Hey guys, thanks for all the help, I couldn't really get to the internet yesterday, so I missed the invites, thanks!  I'm leaving to go back to California on Friday morning and have to get my mom finally squared away tonight, so I won't be able to meet y'all, but I will definately look you up next time I'm in town, which should be in the next month or so.  

CavVet, thanks for all your help!!!!

Talk to y'all soon!

Link Posted: 5/13/2004 3:06:55 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
Two questions:

How come the Washington State board is so civil to a female poster?

Because unlike the rest of the internet we actually know real life women that don't have to be inflated and alot of them would bust a cap in yo'ass if you mouthed of to them.

Link Posted: 5/13/2004 10:25:47 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
CavVet, thanks for all your help!!!!

Pleasure was all mine...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top