Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/24/2003 3:39:24 AM EDT
I saw 3 Huey (I thought they retired the sweet old things!) with the + on the side around 1500 hrs, flying in a straight formation headed south, leaving Seattle going over King County Airport and still going South...

Who is still flying these things? Why are they over Seattle?? Who shot J.R.???
Link Posted: 12/24/2003 3:48:43 AM EDT
[#1]
I have no idea, but I think they made a couple passes because I saw them over my area...  probably following I-405. This was later in the evening. So that's what hueys sound like, eh? I knew they weren't News helicopters, but that's about all I knew. :)
Link Posted: 12/24/2003 5:46:14 AM EDT
[#2]
I saw them too.  Damn those things are loud.  I heard 'em long before I saw 'em.  It was kinda cool to say the least.
Link Posted: 12/24/2003 12:12:40 PM EDT
[#3]
Our .mil post was tucked in a saddle between a few mountains, and we could hear them a ways away, they do beat the air up a LOT, but are cool as hell to ride in....

Damnit, I have some great memories...
Link Posted: 12/24/2003 1:08:49 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I saw 3 Huey (I thought they retired the sweet old things!) with the + on the side around 1500 hrs, flying in a straight formation headed south, leaving Seattle going over King County Airport and still going South...

Hey Cav, Merry Christmas and all that jazz.

The Huey's are on duty with MAST right now out of Ft. Lewis as they took their shiny new Blackhawks to Iraq. We have had a few of them show up on search and rescue missions this summer.

Also, King County Sheriff's Office has 3 Huey's. Only two of them fly and the other is a parts bird (I am told they actually have even more Huey's stored somewhere else). Anyhow, one is painted in a dull lime green for SAR work and the other is OD for SWAT work, etc. They have the Sheriff's star on the doors and the SAR bird has RESCUE painted on the side doors. No + on them though.

Snohomish County also has three or four painted Orange for SAR. So you may see Huey's around the area still.
Link Posted: 12/24/2003 1:21:40 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

He DH, Merry Christmas, Happy New Year, Hello, Love you long time and all that jazz, hip-hop & R&B 2u2!!!

Read about your car. Sorry man.

The Huey's are on duty with MAST right now out of Ft. Lewis as they took their shiny new Blackhawks to Iraq. We have had a few of them show up on search and rescue missions this summer.

MAST? Monitoring All Self Thinkers?

Also, King County Sheriff's Office has 3 Huey's. Only two of them fly and the other is a parts bird (I am told they actually have even more Huey's stored somewhere else). Anyhow, one is painted in a dull lime green for SAR work and the other is OD for SWAT work, etc. They have the Sheriff's star on the doors and the SAR bird has RESCUE painted on the side doors. No + on them though.

They can be seen at King Co Airport. I understand the same thing. What I saw yesterday was none of the above, these are traditional .gov OD painted with the red MEDVAC cross on a white square area on the lower rear sides.

Snohomish County also has three or four painted Orange for SAR. So you may see Huey's around the area still.

[tinfoilon]I dont like seeing them in conjunction with Terror Alerts, and I disregard any symbol of MEDVAC and consider the platform. In all my years I have never seen a convoy of MEDVACS. One goes out to do blah blah blah...Really sent a red flag up in my mind...

Ok, the red flag is always up in my mind!
Link Posted: 12/24/2003 2:36:14 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Hey!....you are right about MAST and I could not tell you anymore about King Co. Guardian, But I have 10 years with Sno Co. Sar and I will say that we have 13 hueys, 2 ready and the rest are for parts, King co pulls from Sno Co. and so does someplace in eastern washington...One is Orange (Air1) and Air2 is now a gay looking teal/gold...the 500 took a hard landing (read Crash) and is still out of svc pending repairs, I used to be a Flight Medic, the last time I was on a Huey in the Military was in Texas, all others were blackhawks.... Im thinking 66th aviation out of Ft Lewis (natl guard) Last time I made a MAST request (about a Month and a half ago) we got a UH-60, I would also say that it is quite possible (but not likely) that the Navy still has a few of the Hueys around as Air Ambulances.
Link Posted: 12/24/2003 10:42:44 PM EDT
[#7]
Thurston County Sheriff keeps a few out by the Olympia airport.  I don't remember seeing them airborne so I don't know if they're airworthy.
Link Posted: 12/25/2003 3:40:43 AM EDT
[#8]
No Navy Hueys in Washington State.
Whidbey has 3 UH-3H SAR birds (not for long if the brass has their way).
You won't see a Navy UH-1H SAR asset (or otherwise) until you hit Lemoore or Fallon.
The only place I have seen H-1's in Washington were with the 36th Rescue Squadron at Fairchild.
I liked flying into Fairchild or Spokane, cause we went to eat at the Longhorn. MmMMmMmmMmmm GOOD!

Quoted:
I would also say that it is quite possible (but not likely) that the Navy still has a few of the Hueys around as Air Ambulances.

Link Posted: 12/26/2003 10:19:32 PM EDT
[#9]
The Hueys fly so low by my house that I wave at the Chopper Jocks.
I love that sound those old birds have, instant WOODY.
Many memories flying around Ft. Benning in them, also rappelling from them is a fricking blast.
Later,
RedMan*
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top