Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/14/2003 12:10:49 PM EDT

Is WSI no more now or is the range still open?  What other options are out there as far as indoor handgun shooting?  There is always Wade's but they don't exactly have the best safety record ya know?

I'm also curious about places to shoot rifles.  I frequently shoot at the sultan recreational basin, but where do you guys go for some distance.  I'm curious about either official ranges or spots that people go that have at the very least 200 yards, preferably 500+.

I live in Northern Seattle BTW...
Link Posted: 11/14/2003 8:33:51 PM EDT
[#1]
Yeah, the WSI thingy blows big time.  Wade's is OK, but some yahoo was blowing of 5.56 in the public bay and the front desk didn't seem to give a shit.

Issaquash Sportsmens Club is a nice little range, but only goes out to 100 yds.  No rapid fire, but Laura the current range master is pretty easy going and won't get on your case if your following good judgement.

Kenmore Gun Range is an excellent facility--but they're range-nazi attitudes are legendary...just ask anyone on this board.  Load one/shoot one is a real pain in the ass if you're trying to establish any kind of group.  However, this may not be the case for members.  I've been living in the Canyon Park area of Bothell almost a year now and haven't gotten off my lazy butt yet to check out the story over there.  Rumor has it they will be/have built a "defensive" pistol section which allows more flexibility for double taps et al.  Not sure if this is a members-only feature, but if they're going through with it they are (finally) recognizing the large market for this type of shooting.
Link Posted: 11/14/2003 8:58:25 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Yeah, the WSI thingy blows big time.  Wade's is OK, but some yahoo was blowing of 5.56 in the public bay and the front desk didn't seem to give a shit.

I got up the money and bought a life membership at Wades, and that allows me the privelidge to shoot whatever I have (except my .50BMG) whether in teh members bay or in the public bays should the members bays be reserved.

I have never witnessed any reckless action go unnoticed. I have seen people ordered to place the weapon on the deck and asked to leave.

I dont know who was watching what or if any unsafe actions were reported by you or anyone else, but I have never in all my visits witnessed any of the above noticed reckless type activities.

Link Posted: 11/23/2003 3:08:54 AM EDT
[#3]

Sam's up in Everett seems decent.  Went there a couple times.  They have rifle bays too.  

Also went up to the Plantation range in Bellingham... not that far a drive from Seattle, and its decent and outdoors.

Have looked at the interlake sporting association.
Anyone a member?  Got an opinion?
http://www.interlakesporting.org/

They require you to get "PIC" training before you become a member... what's a "Person In Charge" mean?

Don
Link Posted: 11/23/2003 9:23:31 AM EDT
[#4]
SuperChicken and I are members at Snoqualmie Valley Rifle Club. 200yrd Rifle range plus pistol.
http://www.svrifle.com/
Link Posted: 11/24/2003 5:36:59 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
They require you to get "PIC" training before you become a member... what's a "Person In Charge" mean?

Don

This sounds like prepping you for the ability to play surrogate range master--not a bad proposition, as it assures that there is always someone to keep an eye on safety measures, calling cease fire when needed, etc.

CavVet, as nice a facility as Wade's is, IMHO centerfire rifle has no place in an indoor range if not in the members/separate bay.  I personally don't have a problem with it myself, but from the perspective of newbies, it's too disconcerting to be coming in for the first time shooting (perhaps an effort to unharness anti feelings) and have someone next to you firing, say, a DSA carbine.

Again, just MO.  The way WSI had it set up was nice and it worked out very well.  If I brought a rifle in spur of the moment and the training bay was taken, I just had to live with not calling in ahead and go to pistol.

FWIW--apparently at WSI someone had a semi-auto M2 cranking away in there once...Katie, the gal that used to work there, told me how that entire room was filled with smoke by the time they were done--wish I'd been there to witness THAT!
Link Posted: 11/24/2003 6:06:13 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
CavVet, as nice a facility as Wade's is, IMHO centerfire rifle has no place in an indoor range if not in the members/separate bay.  I personally don't have a problem with it myself, but from the perspective of newbies, it's too disconcerting to be coming in for the first time shooting (perhaps an effort to unharness anti feelings) and have someone next to you firing, say, a DSA carbine.

While I completely understand your position, you also have to understand mine. I am an avid shooter, and what I get off on is taking first time shooters out to shoot. Wades is a business, what they are doing is selling a service, the ability to shoot guns indoors legally in a metro area.

I bought a membership, and they also rent out an area to certain groups, so I am allowed the privelidge to do what I do and they do what they do. The AlphabetBoys need range time, as do I.

I fire centerfire indoors for two reasons usually. Function  or Firsttimers. If I have a problem, it goes to the range  so my weekend big shoots arent ruined by a non functioning weapon. All my firsttimers end up on my AR. Hell, usually I drag half the range over to the evil wench. I dont have to drag hard, as they have all peeked to see what it is, all I have to do is offer and they jump on it.

In fact, as I write this I will submit proof of the opposite from our last outing. 2WP and myself went to Wades. Members bay reserved (AGAIN), off to lane one. I needed to test some SS109Spanish I had bought, 100 rounds planned. Guy (husband) and girl (friend) shooting, female(wife) outside observing. I asked them why she wasnt shooting, shes scared. Let me try, (both)"Good Luck".

I went out (she was scared and somewhat anxious when I went out), within 10 minutes brought her inside. She was a good shot and had a lot of fun. They always do. Its technique.

She didnt shoot the AR, but the husband AND the other female friend did.

He asked played 20 questions and will no doubt end up here and with an evil one. He is hooked.

I think it attracts, not scares them off. The old, "Gee, I can do that too"?

Sorry, mho.That scary gun dog dont hunt.I would suggest you take one and lay out the bait and watch them come a runnin.
Link Posted: 11/24/2003 6:45:22 AM EDT
[#7]
Yeah , what kind of jag would shoot an AR at Wade's ?

wait , I've done it .....

t
Link Posted: 11/24/2003 8:34:41 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

While I completely understand your position, you also have to understand mine. I am an avid shooter, and what I get off on is taking first time shooters out to shoot. Wades is a business, what they are doing is selling a service, the ability to shoot guns indoors legally in a metro area.

Your first paragraph (plus reading about the "strengthening the assault weapon ban" article under the news section and getting pissed off) brings up an excellent point, CavVet.  I might have to consider a membership.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top