Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/5/2003 12:33:13 AM EDT
No, it's not a post about hunting coffee grounds - altho, this is Washington!

What I'm about here is looking for a place to hunt.

Does anyone know of someone that doesn't mind someone hunting their land? or of anywhere that a new guy in the state can find out information on places to hunt?

Preferrably on the west side, but I could arrange the east side - I'm thinking modern, and either Archery or Muzzle loading... for Deer, and maybe Pheasant and next year waterfowl.

Or maybe someone wouldn't mind adding another person to their group?  or "teaming" up?

Thanks
Link Posted: 9/5/2003 9:18:15 PM EDT
[#1]
go to wal-mart and get the Washington Atlas & Gazeteer. it is made by DeLorme. it costs about $18. it has detailed topo maps of the entire state. on page 15 it lists 67 different public hunting areas. it includes how many acres the area is, what is available to hunt there, and what page in the atlas it is listed on. it has been my best tool finding places to hunt. it also shows fishing places, and is generally a good all around map of the state of washington.
Link Posted: 9/5/2003 11:51:04 PM EDT
[#2]
I must say - Iam standing up, jumping up and down, and shouting GREAT GUNS!  AN ANSWER!  

Whew!  Well, that took it outta me...

But really, thanks for the answer - back in the midwest - I knew people... here I'm just a new guy and don't know many people. And those I do know, I can say with certainty that at least half of them don't hunt.

Kooter - you have my thanks!  If you're ever over this way (Northern Kitsap Peninsula) let me know and I'll buy you a beer... if you're old enough

Thanks again
Link Posted: 9/6/2003 9:33:30 AM EDT
[#3]
Hey Jihaz,

Since you proposed teaming up with someone, would you mind if a total newbee tagged along? As I said in my other post I'm interested in getting started, but despite being a competitive rifle shooter, I don't know squat about hunting.  I asked at the local gunstore, but NONE of the employees knew anything either!  It was funny.   They knew everything about the firearms aspect, but were totally stumped when I asked, "OK, let's suppose I shoot a deer.  Then what do I do?"

I would understand if you didn't want someone with zero experience around to potentially screw something up.
Link Posted: 9/6/2003 11:38:52 AM EDT
[#4]
next time you are near olympia, go to the olympic national forest headquarters. it is off of hwy 101. i think the exit is 104. they have a map of capitol forest that they sell for $2.16. it is a pretty decent map showing logging roads, hiking trails, campgrounds.... stuff like that. that is what i am using to find a place to hunt. and if that fails my uncle has 77 acres down near Lyle that i can hunt i don't want to go down there because it is such a long drive. i think capitol forest should be about as good a place as anywhere else, and it is only 20 minutes from my house.

Link Posted: 9/8/2003 8:12:05 PM EDT
[#5]
I just found out that there's several public game areas stocked with pheasant near where I live.  I also read that I don't absolutely need a dog to hunt pheasant.  Is that true?
Link Posted: 9/8/2003 11:37:23 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 9/13/2003 10:38:29 AM EDT
[#7]
FishKepr;  I'll IM you today or tomorrow and maybe we can work something out... we'll have to see...  As for Pheasant, I don't believe you need a dog for that, but there may be restrictions on hunting the areas where they release (stock) the birds.  See:

www.wa.gov/wdfw/huntcorn.htm

For more info - They have a downloadable (.pdf) copy of the Big Game pamphlet (and all the others, too) - I'll add more if I find it.

Kooter,  Thanks for the info - I hardly ever get down that way, unless I ahve a reason to go - but we keep toying with the idea of looking for a place near Belfair, so I might just head down there this next week (I know Belfair isn't really that close, but it's closer than Kingston)

1GUN...From reading the "pamphlet" the Weyerhouser property looks like most of it has it's own "seasons" and you need to contact them about when they are open for hunting.  I could be wrong about that, that damn pamphlet thing is not really very organized nor clear on some things...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top