Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/8/2003 4:36:28 PM EDT
KING5 is showing a news report with EVIL BLACK RIFLE guys who are 'destroying the environment'...Shooting at abandoned cars, computers, and 'illegaly across streams and ponds'...

Wayne Holden wants to put a .01 cent tax, per shell, on the ballot soonn to pay for the cleanup....

More good news for us....Glad I dont ever go down there...I am sure the publicity will do us NO good...

Link Posted: 6/8/2003 5:43:49 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
KING5 is showing a news report with EVIL BLACK RIFLE guys who are 'destroying the environment'...Shooting at abandoned cars, computers, and 'illegaly across streams and ponds'...

Wayne Holden wants to put a .01 cent tax, per shell, on the ballot soonn to pay for the cleanup....

More good news for us....Glad I dont ever go down there...I am sure the publicity will do us NO good...

LMAO the guy shooting the blackrifle is none other than our superchicken.
Link Posted: 6/8/2003 5:56:22 PM EDT
[#2]
I heard he got videotaped.  Did someone happen to record this, and can encode/host it?
Link Posted: 6/8/2003 5:56:59 PM EDT
[#3]
http://www.king5.com/localnews/stories/NW_060803WABbasintrashed.9ceb58af.html

Link Posted: 6/8/2003 6:13:48 PM EDT
[#4]
So SC was the guy shooting the AR, where they only showed his hand, and the front end of the rifle?

And where does thatindignant asshole get off bothering the shooters?  Were the shooters doing something illegal?

And since when is a creek a "waterway"?
Link Posted: 6/8/2003 6:17:47 PM EDT
[#5]
Yes the guy shooting was sc. I was off to the left but didn't get included in the shot. The camera people who came up to us were fine but didn't make it seem like the story would have such a negative connotation. They said they talked to people shooting some skeet which must've been the people shooting across the creek. When I was up there I saw no signs that said "No shooting allowed".
I'm pretty sure we packed all our trash out with the exception of the spent brass. It would be almost impossible with the amount that is already there.
Link Posted: 6/8/2003 6:54:00 PM EDT
[#6]
Where we shoot up top after the gravel road begins in legal. It is illegal to shoot anywhere before milepost 11. That was from a King County cop who warned me last year for shooting in the wrong place.

It is also illegal to shoot across any road and/ or water. Be it creek, pond, lake, anything. Sultan does need to be cleaned up we all know that. We should get together and do it also.

One thing is Tommy Toughguy would have not come out harassed anyone if Queen5 was not there.
Link Posted: 6/8/2003 6:58:06 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Where we shoot up top after the gravel road begins in legal. It is illegal to shoot anywhere before milepost 11. That was from a King County cop who warned me last year for shooting in the wrong place.

It is also illegal to shoot across any road and/ or water. Be it creek, pond, lake, anything. Sultan does need to be cleaned up we all know that. We should get together and do it also.

One thing is Tommy Toughguy would have not come out harassed anyone if Queen5 was not there.

Oh ok. i got it never mind.
Link Posted: 6/8/2003 7:25:55 PM EDT
[#8]
Lets get on it gentlemen... firemission!

I was greatly offended when I read your the online portion of your broadcast segment titled Illegal shooters leave toxic mess behind.  I object to your use of the term illegal and your labeling of target shooters as vandals.

I noticed that you listed a quote from a camper complaining that “Two of our most favorite trails are just up the street, and they've already been taken from us because of the vandalism of the communication towers, and the garbage, people leaving their refrigerators and abandoning cars," but you don't directly attribute that to target shooters but from the rest of your article you clearly want people to jump to the conclusion that it is target shooters dumping cars and refrigerators.  Nothing supports your implication at all.

Why does Mr. Holden suggest funds dedicating certain areas as target shooting areas?   Did you ask him that?  No, you did not.  Mr. Holden obviously has an agenda he wants to push and blaming target shooters fits that agenda just perfectly.  No he would rather apply a tax to reduce intrusion into what he obviously thinks of as his own little wilderness kingdom.

Why in your one sided segment didn't you actually interview any of the people who you talked into letting you film them, without having enough journalistic integrity to tell them what your story was going to be?

The Sultan Basin is an area that has room for everyone to enjoy and many areas are posted as being off limits to shooting.  I suspect that Mr. Holden is using King 5 to push his own private agenda, whether he is antigun, antiatv, or an extreme environmentalist I don't know.  I'd suggest that if Mr Holden is indeed seeing as much illegal activity as he is implying that he does, he'd best be served by alerting the authorities when he sees it.

[email protected], [email protected], [email protected]
Link Posted: 6/8/2003 8:02:48 PM EDT
[#9]
Sounds good there Phil fire it off.

It may say TX below my name but I grew up in Marysville and boy do I know how much cleanup some spots in the woods need. Your dead on about the garbage. It gets dumped by lazy ass people that aren't shooters.

How about a $10 tax on every couch, or refrigerator sold to assist in the cleanup.

mzzlebrk
Link Posted: 6/8/2003 8:47:26 PM EDT
[#10]
I knew those azzwholes were up to no good.  I didn't see the news article but by the sounds of it, it went just like we accused them of when the M_FRs showed up there.  Someone should post the skinny, in more of a word for word format so I can read it.  

Anyway, they are lucky we are all such nice people or else they would not have made it out of there without any extra holes!
Link Posted: 6/8/2003 11:04:51 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Well THAT'S interesting.  Last time I was out there (admittedly well over a year ago), it was "anything past mile 8" (I assume we're speaking of the Sportmans Basin area).  There were a couple good pits at miles 4 and 6 that were closed a number of years ago.

And just what the hell is a King County Cop doing in Snohomish??
Link Posted: 6/8/2003 11:16:51 PM EDT
[#12]
Illegal shooters leave toxic mess behind

06/08/2003

By ERIC WILKINSON / KING 5 News

SULTAN, Wash. - Vandals, especially target shooters, are trashing woodlands and waterways, commandeering camp sites and blasting apart countless trees, shooting up everything from paint cans to chemical-laden computers.

Hundreds of thousands of shell casings are left behind, along with a trail of environmental degradation.

KING
A woman illegally fires a gun across a creek in Sultan. “Every 30 feet there's a spur road that goes back into hell hole,” says Wade Holden, one of a dedicated few fighting to get these areas all across the state cleaned up.

"The sad part is, even if you do clean it up, two days later it's the same way again. It's out of control, I don't know how else to describe it,” says Holden.

Holden spends his days confronting people, including two who were firing their guns illegally across a creek in Sultan.

KING
Hundreds of thousands of shell casings are left behind. “It’s guys like you that are ruining it for everybody,” Holden told the men.

“I totally disagree,” replied one man.

Volunteers are working with Holden to clean up the sites, and they are disgusted by what they see.

In the meantime, those trying to enjoy the outdoors responsibly are left with fewer and fewer options. With camp sites and trails closed by the county.

Multimedia

KING 5's Eric Wilkinson reports
“Two of our most favorite trails are just up the street, and they’ve already been taken from us because of the vandalism of the communication towers, and the garbage, people leaving their refrigerators and abandoning cars," said camper Shane Sailors.

Holden is hoping to get a one cent per shell tax put on a ballot sometime soon with money going to education and clean up campaigns.
Link Posted: 6/9/2003 6:43:11 AM EDT
[#13]
The king County cop out there, lives out there. He was just cheecking out shots (mine) in the area of milepost 5.
Link Posted: 6/9/2003 9:32:37 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
The king County cop out there, lives out there. He was just cheecking out shots (mine) in the area of milepost 5.

first of all.(you are correct)...........

1. Sultan basin is in SNOHOMISH CO.

2. King Co. Cops have to get the help from SNOHOMISH CO. Dep's. it is not in King Co. juristiction.

3. Anything north of milepost 11 is a legal shooting area. (if you were found at milepost 5, you should not have been there)

4. I honestly hope none of you guys were shooting across the stream. ( I dont think any of you did)

5. We have a group of people that have cleaned those ranges twice a year for at least the last 5 years that I know of. I have taken Truck loads out!.

since this is my home turf, Im pissed!, In fact Im FUCKING LIVID!(have been for a while) and I dont mind one bit if they close it down to ALL SHOOTERS,(I still have several places to shoot, on private property) When I go, I have shown the guys from here where it is cool to shoot, we pack out our trash.Im sure you all did (for the most part) It seems to be the out of town assholes that screw it up about 90% of the time.(shooters) For you that were on T.V. DONT EVER TRUST THE MEDIA,(how does it feel to be a TOOL?) How in the hell do you guys think they got the info?, My guess it that they have there little snoops check this very board and other's, The Show was this weekend, and they could not get in, some dumbass says that we are going shooting after the show up on the basin rd. (who knows, I sure as hell dont) The AWB is also up for grabs, Dont give them any AMMO!.

Im glad I was not there!, This makes me sick!

BTW, the trail with the communications towers that was closed down...Well It is about 15 miles southwest of sultan basin rd, on the other side of the river!.

Well at this point the damage is done, no use worrying about it now, We have all lived with the title just because of the rifles we shoot, but hey look at the bright side, when they take out guns, they will have to blame the shitbags that dump the trash, and the scumbags in the 4X4's that cant seem to stay on the road.

One more question....If someone from the Media comes up to you, and you are shooting a Evil Black Rifle, Even if they say they were doig a story about trap shooters shooting across a stream, why in the hell would you let them tape you?, What good could they possibly be up to?.( I would LOVE to hear your reply to this one!)

Just call me paranoid, but I would have packed up and left on the spot the min they started rolling tape.

maybe we should get ahold of this holden guy and offer our services for a weekend?, If he turns us down he looks dumb, and If he takes us up on the offer It only looks good?

And SuperChicken, Im going to change my sig line in your honor!

Link Posted: 6/9/2003 4:04:18 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 6/10/2003 12:04:15 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:
and the scumbags in the 4X4's that cant seem to stay on the road.

The word hypocrite comes to mind.

Hey GR, If the shoe dont fit, then you dont have anything to worry about!, If you saw this place you would be pissed too. there are designated trails all over the place, but there is always some jerkwad that has to try and go through some place that is not ment to be torn up. As for the Hypocrite title, I dont do it. I have been with the sheriffs office Search and Rescue Team for 10 years, and have been out in the Basin area more times than any other spot, mostly in the winter, and mostly where no one in a veh should have ever been. Around this area there are designated shooting area's and there are designated off road trails, Dont shoot in the areas that are not ment to be shot up, And the trails are there for 4X4's, Dont tear up the area around the trails.
Link Posted: 6/10/2003 6:04:12 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 6/10/2003 9:43:54 AM EDT
[#18]
If this turns out like I hear it turns out at other places, "Friends of the Trail" will soon have their "NO SHOOTING" signs up.

(Liberal reporter X) said this was about the trash. He even said that what really stood out to him was the contractors who do remodeling and take old sinks, etc up there to dump. He of course, didn't mention that in the story. Wrong target.

If the PD would crack down on littering, this wouldn't be as big a problem. It's apparent that not all shooters really give a crap about cleaning up after themselves. They should be arrested like any other litterbug.
Link Posted: 6/10/2003 10:29:45 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
If this turns out like I hear it turns out at other places, "Friends of the Trail" will soon have their "NO SHOOTING" signs up.

(Liberal reporter X) said this was about the trash. He even said that what really stood out to him was the contractors who do remodeling and take old sinks, etc up there to dump. He of course, didn't mention that in the story. Wrong target.

If the PD would crack down on littering, this wouldn't be as big a problem. It's apparent that not all shooters really give a crap about cleaning up after themselves. They should be arrested like any other litterbug.

You have that right!

The prob. is that once you get past the paved road the sheriffs office does not take jurustiction unless it is something really crazy, the area belongs to the DNR (state), once you leave the paved road the only time you will see a Deputy is if he is on his way to a Search and Rescue, or he is pulling Offduty Overtime as Security at Spada Lake (our main source of water), otherwise the city of Everett has jurisdiction of the lake. Now where You guys were shooting it only 1 of 2 spots that are off the paved roads, Yes it is a mess and it is the worst of all of them, the other is that little hill that is south of where you were shooting by about 100 yards. (these places are both the worst as far as mess), BUT all of the other ranges out there are on the paved roads, and Yup, the L.E. (Sheriffs) office in the area should be cracking skulls on Dumping,But here is the catch. In Washington state if you want to report a "Dumping", and it is not in progress it goes to the dept. of health. 99.9% of all law enforcement agency's dont want anything to do with it unless it is in progress and they can see it as it is going on.  The Friends of the trail tried putting up signs 2 or 3 years ago, they did end up as targets, But the thing that sucked, the Fire Crews from the DNR were the ones helping them put up the signs! (that is a big NO NO!) But when you get a fire crew that is only on for the summer fire season, you get a bunch of College kids that take the jobs, You also get all of the Tree hugging freaks that dont have a real job, to take these jobs, and it is funny how it turns out to be the same type of people that are with Friends of the trail...
Link Posted: 6/12/2003 10:01:12 PM EDT
[#20]

It's not just the shooters. Last summer I was up in one of the pits (Not sure which one... You needed to drive up a jeep trail to get to it) and while shooting two guys with a truck full of tires roared up the road behind us. About 15 minutes later they come back down the trail with their heads down and an empty bed.

That shit pisses me off.

Chris
Link Posted: 6/13/2003 2:38:59 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

It's not just the shooters. Last summer I was up in one of the pits (Not sure which one... You needed to drive up a jeep trail to get to it) and while shooting two guys with a truck full of tires roared up the road behind us. About 15 minutes later they come back down the trail with their heads down and an empty bed.

That shit pisses me off.

Chris

Did you shoot off 31 warning shots?
Link Posted: 6/13/2003 3:06:32 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

That shit pisses me off.

Chris

Did you shoot off 31 warning shots?

while running around butt assed naked no less?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top