Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/14/2021 8:58:35 AM EDT
We are planning to hit up Sesame Place and the Franklin Institute.  We are staying at a hotel downtown.  Now I'm worried that all these major cities are going to start peacefully protesting thanks to the glocktaze incident.  What areas should we avoid?  And are the trains a safe way to travel from the airport to the downtown hotels?  Normally I'd take a cab but we've got two 1.5yo kids in tow and getting a cab with two car seats is very unlikely.  Thanks.
Link Posted: 4/14/2021 5:02:06 PM EDT
[#1]
It's been a long time since my kids were that age but...

Franklin Institute - I haven't been down to that area in over a year so take this as "dated" info.  You'll live but be vigilant, like you would in any city with moderate to high crime.  Depending on where your hotel is, same thing.  I don't know about the trains, I never used them inside the city proper.  I'd Uber or rent a car, personally.  (totally understand the car seat issue, though)  The museum has a parking garage, if you go that route.

How are you planning to get to Sesame Place from Center City?  SP is in a suburban area, right between higher and lower wealth areas, with nothing extraordinary to be worried about re: safety.  I think it's still early enough in the season that SP won't be the mad jungle it is in the summer.  At peak times, the park itself can get overrun with typical trashy theme park types.  

If you're going to have access to a car, or consider renting one, also check out Dutch Wonderland in Lancaster.  Depending on the age of your kids, it's great.
Link Posted: 4/14/2021 5:16:41 PM EDT
[#2]
Don't do it, and look out for BLM!  

Just kidding.  Be safe, and have fun!
Link Posted: 4/15/2021 3:44:00 PM EDT
[#3]
Watch for the potholes

https://i.redd.it/qcqqeqeid7t61.jpg

Yes, this is in Philadelphia proper.

https://www.instagram.com/cones_of_philadelphia/?igshid=8dxg4shwn1py

Enjoy your trip.  It should drizzle a bit both days.
Link Posted: 4/16/2021 1:16:43 PM EDT
[#4]
Stay away from Kensington Ave. I'm sure it ain't the only bad area.

A QUICK WALK THROUGH KENSINGTON AVE PHILADELPHIA
Link Posted: 4/16/2021 4:08:48 PM EDT
[#5]
Check out the Please Touch Museum, it is close to the Franklin Institute and geared towards kids. Also, a walk over to Rittenhouse Square would be pleasant for all parties and it is a very posh and nice area. Enjoy your trip...

Link Posted: 4/20/2021 5:29:14 AM EDT
[#6]
The Liberty Bell is a great thing to check out.. You don't really know just how much the bell meant to so many people before you see the exhibits.
I guess your kiddos won't appreciate it too much, but while in the area you should check it out. It's actually quite a moving experience.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top