Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/14/2013 9:27:00 AM EDT
Trying to finish up some projects that I started- one of which being a Savage FV-SR. I have most of the parts necessary, but I'm a bit leery about bedding the action/barrel to a new stock. Has anyone done this before? I'm tempted just to take it to a smith, but I'm trying to conserve money. Any thoughts or help would be greatly appreciated.
Link Posted: 12/14/2013 10:51:25 AM EDT
[#1]
I did my FN SPR using brownells' acra glas gel kit.   It was not difficult at all.  

I remember finding a couple videos online that explained it and followed those once I understood what was to be accomplished.  

If you are the slightest bit handy you can definitely tackle this yourself.  

--Fargo007
Link Posted: 12/14/2013 11:24:27 AM EDT
[#2]
There are a couple how to's in the precision rifle forum that will help with this.
Link Posted: 12/15/2013 12:58:09 AM EDT
[#3]
Ok I guess I'll research it a little further to see if I feel comfortable doing it. Thanks for the advice.
Link Posted: 12/15/2013 5:10:43 AM EDT
[#4]
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oOo-_Ss7aIs

That basically lines the process up.  

I used the regular action screws on mine with no issue.   You don't want to crank it down bad ass tight on the compound or you will squeeze it all away.   Just lightly, until it's sitting in about the right position.

I also did a skim-bed on my bottom metal as a separate step which came out great too.  

Two things:

1 - Release agent is your friend!  Don't skimp on that and use it wherever the action will have contact with the compound.  

2 - Watch out for mechanical locks.   If the goo rises up and creeps over top of any parts of the action it will "lock" it into the stock.   This is usually a symptom of using waaaay too much compound.  

Let us know how it turns out!

--Fargo007
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top