Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/13/2013 11:34:46 PM EDT
Hello all,

I'm looking at building an AR15 pistol. I know how lowers work (not a rifle or pistol until built) - however, I have a question regarding the PA State Police.

If I intend on building an AR15 pistol, what steps do I have to take to avoid running afoul of the PSP? When I purchased the "firearm" - it was neither a pistol nor a rifle. I "build" it into one or the other. Since Pennsylvania has a registry of all handguns, how do I go about building an AR15 pistol? Can I legally build a pistol and have it not be in the D/B?

Thanks!
J-Pat
Link Posted: 12/14/2013 8:41:08 AM EDT
[#1]
Yeah the data base they claim not to have is illegal by PA state law so don't worry about that. Just buy a stripped lower and build it the way you want it. I am not a lawyer but that is my honest opinion on the subject.
Link Posted: 12/15/2013 1:15:35 AM EDT
[#2]
I called the State Troopers Firearms division.
As long as you don't sell it your GTG. If and when you sell it you must go through an FFL
OK
That being said.
I have been strongly warned by a friend that an AR pistol may be a load of trouble with LEOs
Be certain to save all recipts.
Take date stamped pictures as you build. So you can prove in court that it is a pistol and not a short barrel rifle.

Here I sit with a virgin lower receiver, a lower parts kit and a pistol buffrer assmebly.I really wanted an AR pistol but.
I fear it may be more trouble than it's worth to me.
Link Posted: 12/15/2013 5:10:02 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
As long as you don't sell it your GTG. If and when you sell it you must go through an FFL
OK
That being said.
I have been strongly warned by a friend that an AR pistol may be a load of trouble with LEOs
Take date stamped pictures as you build. So you can prove in court that it is a pistol and not a short barrel rifle.

Here I sit with a virgin lower receiver, a lower parts kit and a pistol buffrer assmebly.I really wanted an AR pistol but.
View Quote

No offense, but your friend is an idiot.  Build your pistol.  Just make sure it doesn't have a stock or a vertical front grip.
Link Posted: 12/15/2013 5:10:11 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
OK
That being said.

View Quote

Don't worry much about this, AR pistols are very common, and LEOs are familiar with the law in regards to them. It is worth it if you want one, so go ahead and make yours.
Its not a bad idea to carry a few ATF letters that relate to your build in your pistol grip, stock, etc just in case, but its not a requirement.
PA does not have registration either, so just build it and enjoy.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top