Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/9/2013 4:33:20 PM EDT
Hi everyone!

Fiance and I are saving up to move out of CT in the next 2 years or so, and so far PA is at the top of our list

I'm interested in getting a non-resident permit since we plan to visit often prior to committing to a move, and then obviously to look at properties.

We would most likely be looking in Bucks County. Anyone have a good email or phone number for a CLEO out there? I assume it would be best to go through one in Bucks County considering that's where we'd likely move to?

The link to the Sheriff's site I found at PAFOA.org's site seems to be bad....

Also - What's the lead time on permits? I know CT takes a good 3-5 months from application to reception.

Any help would be most appreciated.
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 4:02:52 AM EDT
[#1]
Lead time on permits is a max of 45 days.

Now the bad part.

Due to a recent surge of out of state (NY+NJ) hood rats, drug dealers and such seeking non res PA permits . CLEO'S in the eastern part of PA will NOT issue to Non PA folks.

Start calling county CLEO'S till you find one that will issue you one.
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 4:48:27 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Now the bad part.

Due to a recent surge of out of state (NY+NJ) hood rats, drug dealers and such seeking non res PA permits . CLEO'S in the eastern part of PA will NOT issue to Non PA folks.

View Quote

I obtained mine in pike county before the cut off.

I asked the lady why. She opens up the draw and three rows of denied permits due to arrest etc. The Pike Co sheriff contacted several NYS sheriff to assist in having NYS permits revoked  due to arrest etc. basically were told to pound salt from what i was told. I think it was kinda of amazing if true that NYS wouldn't revoke the permit due to the famous UNSAFE act but in NYS it wouldn't surprise me if they did nothing.

If i was the sheriff in pike i would tell the people to come and pick up there permit and arrest them for false information on the application since it clearly states in the paperwork you fill out. So I really wonder if that was the real answer or just the answer they were  giving out to people.

Try Berks county I hear they are still issuing permits.

My wife has to get hers still she couldn't get over in time for the cut off. I hope to be out of this hell whole of NYS in 18 months.
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 6:23:57 AM EDT
[#3]
Maybe get the Utah permit?  It is reciprocal in PA as a non-resident permit AFAIK.

http://www.usacarry.com/concealed_carry_permit_reciprocity_maps.html

--Fargo007
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 7:06:24 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Now the bad part.

View Quote

I have a CT permit - does that change the situation?
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 7:27:51 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Maybe get the Utah permit?  It is reciprocal in PA as a non-resident permit AFAIK.

http://www.usacarry.com/concealed_carry_permit_reciprocity_maps.html

--Fargo007
View Quote

Sounds like the best idea to me since you aren't sure yet where you'll be moving to.
Once you're a PA resident process time for a permit can go pretty quick.
My Sheriff mails them, I always get my new one within a week.
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 7:29:50 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

I asked the lady why. She opens up the draw and three rows of denied permits due to arrest etc. The Pike Co sheriff contacted several NYS sheriff to assist in having NYS permits revoked  due to arrest etc. basically were told to pound salt from what i was told. I think it was kinda of amazing if true that NYS wouldn't revoke the permit due to the famous UNSAFE act but in NYS it wouldn't surprise me if they did nothing.

If i was the sheriff in pike i would tell the people to come and pick up there permit and arrest them for false information on the application since it clearly states in the paperwork you fill out. So I really wonder if that was the real answer or just the answer they were  giving out to people.

My wife has to get hers still she couldn't get over in time for the cut off. I hope to be out of this hell whole of NYS in 18 months.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Now the bad part.

I can understand not wanting to fill up the county jail with out of state people. I probably wouldn't pursue it either.
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 1:42:18 PM EDT
[#7]
Got to ask why Bucks county ?. It can be mighty pricy.
What kind work do you guys do ?
2 years is a long time away.
Look at the cost of living in PA, it is so much lower then CT
You can move sooner.
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 7:53:59 PM EDT
[#8]
nevermind. didn't read above posts.
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 10:31:08 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Got to ask why Bucks county ?. It can be mighty pricy.
What kind work do you guys do ?
2 years is a long time away.
Look at the cost of living in PA, it is so much lower then CT
You can move sooner.
View Quote

I'm a Windows Engineer for a large financial firm based in NYC. I work from home and have my own office at our space in CT (for which I'm also the office manager).

Fiance does Events in NYC.

We have to live close to a metro area w/ the work we do. My company has an office in Mid-NJ that I would be commuting to after I transferred there. Most of my department is actually based in NJ, so it makes sense anyway.

Fiance would need to work in either NYC or Philly.

Bucks is the perfect compromise b/c its in near both.

Our budget is $500k, but I am seeing houses I like in the $400k range. These are houses that would be in the $750k to $1m range in CT.

Even in Bucks, your taxes are HALF of what we pay in CT.
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 10:32:26 AM EDT
[#10]
BTW - I talked to Bucks Co Sheriff's Deputy. They will issue to me since I have a CT pistol permit. Probably going down next week to handle.

Anyone want to meet up for lunch?
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 12:42:49 AM EDT
[#11]
Ya may be better off looking in Northampton county.
Great bus commuter express bus to NYC

Much less $ for homes

Because of the road network it may even be an easyer trip for you to central NJ

Link Posted: 12/14/2013 8:56:00 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Hi everyone!

Fiance and I are saving up to move out of CT in the next 2 years or so, and so far PA is at the top of our list

I'm interested in getting a non-resident permit since we plan to visit often prior to committing to a move, and then obviously to look at properties.

We would most likely be looking in Bucks County. Anyone have a good email or phone number for a CLEO out there? I assume it would be best to go through one in Bucks County considering that's where we'd likely move to?

The link to the Sheriff's site I found at PAFOA.org's site seems to be bad....

Also - What's the lead time on permits? I know CT takes a good 3-5 months from application to reception.

Any help would be most appreciated.
View Quote

Congratulations on making the choice to move to the greatest state in the nation.
Im a Philadelphia native, currently living in Michigan unfortunately. I am doing everything that I can to get back to PA.
Anyways, Bucks county is a lovely place, I higly recommend it. It is like paradise to me.
a LTCF takes about 15 minutes to get if you are a resident.
good luck and stay safe!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top