Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/5/2010 5:28:00 AM EDT
I am in town visiting family. Is there a nice, big gun store with a large selection?  I won't be shooting so all I am looking for is a good selection to browse and maybe buy ammo and accessories.

Thanks guys!
Link Posted: 7/5/2010 8:41:04 AM EDT
[#1]
ACE Sporting goods has the best selection and largest inventory.

ACE Sporting goods website
Link Posted: 7/5/2010 9:58:04 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
ACE Sporting goods has the best selection and largest inventory.

ACE Sporting goods website

Yep. I would have to concur.
Link Posted: 7/6/2010 5:40:25 AM EDT
[#3]
Excellent, thanks guys, I will check it out.
Link Posted: 7/9/2010 6:33:38 PM EDT
[#4]
Yea I looked at a SCAR at Ace's that was listed at 2700.....its been there for awhile, I asked the guy what kind of price they can do on it...He looked at me and said 2700. Great store as far as firearms but some of the guys working there tend to be a bit full of themselves
Link Posted: 7/9/2010 6:57:31 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Yea I looked at a SCAR at Ace's that was listed at 2700.....its been there for awhile, I asked the guy what kind of price they can do on it...He looked at me and said 2700. Great store as far as firearms but some of the guys working there tend to be a bit full of themselves

I must admit, I last two times I was in there, I got kind of a distasteful attitude from a couple of the employees. They seemed very easy going with me initially, then take a turn for the worse. I asked one guy if I, or he if they preferred, could remove the slide of a CZ 75 Phantom. I wanted to see if it looked like a Kadet upper would fit on one. The guy was stand-offish and a little less pleasant from that point on.

Still, they do have the best selection of any gun store I've been to in Western PA.
Link Posted: 7/9/2010 7:37:11 PM EDT
[#6]
No use for Ace, folks, I got screwed good back in '07 on an AR Bushie they said was new.  It was NOT.  Then refused to do anything at all to
clear up some resultant problems.  Bushie got me back on track....Ace has lost me for freekin' ever!  I'll get my AR stuff out of the garbage can
before going back there. Bigger is not always better!
Link Posted: 7/11/2010 11:29:02 AM EDT
[#7]
Ace has a big selection, but most of the people there dont know that much. Theres one guy there that I like.

I live about 20 mins away from it so i go there often, just for something to do when I dont shoot. Went there last weekend and the SCAR was still 2700 and im pretty sure their ACR was 2200? I dont remember.

I wish they had a better selection of gun accessories instead of just cheap UTG stuff, they have some OK stuff but only in a little glass display.. pennsylvania seems like its getting out of "fudd country" and more into the tactical carbine! 'bout time
Link Posted: 7/12/2010 8:05:36 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Ace has a big selection, but most of the people there dont know that much. Theres one guy there that I like.

I live about 20 mins away from it so i go there often, just for something to do when I dont shoot. Went there last weekend and the SCAR was still 2700 and im pretty sure their ACR was 2200? I dont remember.
I wish they had a better selection of gun accessories instead of just cheap UTG stuff, they have some OK stuff but only in a little glass display.. pennsylvania seems like its getting out of "fudd country" and more into the tactical carbine! 'bout time

just an FYI the SCARs and the ACRs have been selling well there. i was going to put them on the FOAC Gun Bash, but the week i went to work it out with George, they were both sold, he was able to get them back in since then and will have them for us to run at the FOAC Gun Bash along with a Barret .50 cal M82
Link Posted: 7/13/2010 3:01:51 AM EDT
[#9]
I agree that ACE has the probably one of the largest selections in the area but I believe that Cabela`s and Gander Mtn. has a alrger selection of some items. But WITHOUT A DOUBT ACE HAS THE WORST SERVICE IN THE TRI-STATE AREA.  I live 7 miles from them and will gladly drive 4 times that in another direction instead of going there. They plain suck, their prices are usually high(except reloading stuff), they won`t give any price breaks to their own mothers and almost every time I have had the misfortune of having no alternative but to go there I have had to damn near tackle one of the arrogant staff to get waited on. Just my humble opinion.
Link Posted: 7/13/2010 5:32:10 PM EDT
[#10]
Ace does have the selection but that about all they have. Customer service is horrible at its best and their prices can get a little carried away. I do most of my buying at Orndoffs sporting goods in Graysville. Mr. Orndoff can get you just about any gun you want within 3-5 days and his prices are pretty low.
Link Posted: 7/13/2010 7:55:38 PM EDT
[#11]
I do most of my business in Rochester, Beaver County, at John Browns Armory.  Good selection, but he doesn't have a lot of room where he is, although he's working on moving to a bigger location (It should rival the size of Ace).  He has a good selection of stuff, but where he is, there's no room to display it all.  Usually pretty fair on his prices, and while my recommendation comes just from this posting, because nobody here knows me, it's a good place to do business.
Link Posted: 7/14/2010 1:38:12 PM EDT
[#12]
i like sportsman supply in butler.  lots of guns and they have primers
Link Posted: 7/14/2010 4:40:17 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
i like sportsman supply in butler.  lots of guns and they have primers

Primers and powder are about the only things I ever go in there for anymore. They have a whole pack of idiots working there. I once watched an employee fucking around pointing a revolver with a laser sight attached at some customer across the room.

ETA: They can also be quite incompetent. The last time (and it will be the last time) I tried to use them for an FFL transfer, I walked in with a paper printed out of every bit of info they could possibly need to make it easy. Three days later, the guy (seller) said he still hadn't received the FFL. I never did tell Sportsmans I was going elsewhere. I went to Logan's Gun Gallery in North Washington and asked him to do it. The seller received the FFL that night. I checked back with the seller a week later after the deal was done, Sportsmans never did send their FFL.

ETA2: There are two guys in there that I don't mind dealing with. One is Curt, though I had kind of an irritating encounter last time I dealt with him, but I give him a pass because it wasn't entirely his fault. The other guy I don't know his name, but he used to be the guy one of my friends and I really couldn't stand. He used to be the most rude, ignorant prick to deal with, for years. Then something happened last year, he must have snapped. Suddenly he's the nicest, most reasonable guy to deal with out of all of them. The first couple times I dealt with him and his new image, I thought I stepped into the twilight zone or something.
Link Posted: 7/15/2010 9:07:24 AM EDT
[#14]
A kind of out-of-the-way place that I really enjoy going to is the Shooter's Bench in Russellton. Not huge by any means, but a nice little collection and nice prices. I used them to order a gun from Sig and had a really good overall experience. Also bought a used gun from them and got a great deal.
Link Posted: 7/15/2010 4:45:15 PM EDT
[#15]
Ace also has the biggest assholes working there. I tried to make that place a regular stop but every time I go there I leave pissed off at the people that work there. Getting one of them to spend more than one minute helping you is not possible. They want you to say "I'll take that one" fill out the papers and be on your way. I hate Ace and will never go back there.
Link Posted: 7/17/2010 8:18:27 AM EDT
[#16]
Sorry folks, but ACE is the Roggio Arsenal of gun shops, but I can confirm that John Brown's in Roch. is not bad. Not perfect, but not bad.
Link Posted: 7/17/2010 10:58:03 AM EDT
[#17]
Well 2700 is very high for a SCAR at this point they have started comming down in price and if you search around you can get one for well under 2700. I just bought a blemished SCAR for under 1900. So Ace can suck it with there high prices and not willing to work with there customers
Link Posted: 7/17/2010 2:17:22 PM EDT
[#18]
It's a little out of town but I like The Shooter's Place...

http://yellowpages.thepittsburghchannel.com/shooters+place.9.48360596p.home.html
Link Posted: 7/18/2010 6:59:09 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Sorry folks, but ACE is the Roggio Arsenal of gun shops, but I can confirm that John Brown's in Roch. is not bad. Not perfect, but not bad.

+1

My buddy bought an EAA Witness in 10mm at a gunshow (way back during the expomart days) and they told him they would ship him an extra magazine.  He gave them his address, but it never came.   VERYfair price, even made it worth just one mag.  Still, follow-through is key.
Link Posted: 7/19/2010 5:46:55 PM EDT
[#20]
For a general gunshop I like Johnson's in Norvelt. A bit out of the way (south of Greensburg, near the county fairgrounds). Over the years they have taken a chunk of my money. Good people to deal with.
Link Posted: 7/19/2010 6:57:06 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

For a general gunshop I like Johnson's in Norvelt. A bit out of the way (south of Greensburg, near the county fairgrounds). Over the years they have taken a chunk of my money. Good people to deal with.

I live very near there, buy almost every gun there. I'm in there about three time per week, sometimes more. IMO they are the best in western PA. Large selection too.
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 2:45:09 AM EDT
[#22]
ACE sucks.....did I already say that???? sorry
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top