Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/28/2010 10:05:49 AM EDT
Local PD wont sign off, so I called the sheriffs office and they say it will take them 4 weeks to sign and return them, WTF? I need this to go into Gemtech for the deadline and doesnt look like it will happen unless I go with a trust. Can I go to the state police?
Link Posted: 5/28/2010 11:08:12 AM EDT
[#1]
Where are you located?
Link Posted: 5/28/2010 11:57:42 AM EDT
[#2]
York
Link Posted: 5/28/2010 12:01:01 PM EDT
[#3]
You can try the State Police.  Also try the DA's office, or a Common Pleas judge in your county.
Link Posted: 5/28/2010 6:05:46 PM EDT
[#4]
State Police are not permitted by Dept. regulations to sign off.
Link Posted: 5/28/2010 8:01:24 PM EDT
[#5]
Go the trust route.

I did mine throught these guys. It took maybe a week and a half  to complete.

http://www.princelaw.com/PracticeAreas/Firearms-LawGun-Trusts.asp
Link Posted: 5/28/2010 8:53:58 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Go the trust route.

+1 to this...

Joshua Prince is my trusted attorney and the only guy I will call for legal advice/issues. He is sharp as a tack and absolutely FANTASTIC to deal with.
Link Posted: 5/29/2010 4:48:03 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Go the trust route.

+1 to this...

Joshua Prince is my trusted attorney and the only guy I will call for legal advice/issues. He is sharp as a tack and absolutely FANTASTIC to deal with.

I called yesterday afternoon and my app. is set for Wendnesday at 4 p.m.
Link Posted: 5/29/2010 7:43:23 PM EDT
[#8]
What township? I had the same problem with Lower Windsor. I have had excellent results with the York County sheriff but they do take some time.

What are you getting?

Can you just pay for the item at the shop and receive the rebate after the stamp comes back?
Link Posted: 5/30/2010 4:56:00 PM EDT
[#9]

Huh.

Last year I just dropped off my Form 4 and came back for it a couple of weeks later.

Things must be busy down there.
Link Posted: 5/30/2010 6:59:58 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Go the trust route.

Just curious but how much do they charge?I want to turn my Vector V-53 & Vector Uzi into SBR's.
Link Posted: 5/31/2010 11:39:32 AM EDT
[#11]
I'd love to tell you but I don't think they like having their prices posted in public.

With that being said, they're pretty reasonable but definitely not as cheap as quicken. you get what you pay for though.

Shoot them an email. They are really easy to deal with!
Link Posted: 6/2/2010 7:37:20 PM EDT
[#12]
I live in York county. And work a few miles from the sheriffs office. The sheriff was a real ass, had no clue what he was talking about. Joshua Prince called on time today, and the ball is rolling, lets just hope I get this in on time. I feel this is the best way to go since I plan on many more NFA goodies. I decided to start out with two suppressors and as soon as the trust is set up up I see a SBR in the making. I would recommend stay away from the quicken route, heard nothing but bad stories about it and I don't want to loose my toys and end up in jail.
Link Posted: 6/3/2010 8:25:03 AM EDT
[#13]
I'm ignorant of how the whole trust thing works. does it cover multiple firearms? What is involved in going through the local LEO instead, is it a gun by gun apply and wait? Not like I'm just waiting to charge out and buy something, but someday I'd like to.
Link Posted: 6/3/2010 4:33:25 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I'm ignorant of how the whole trust thing works. does it cover multiple firearms? What is involved in going through the local LEO instead, is it a gun by gun apply and wait? Not like I'm just waiting to charge out and buy something, but someday I'd like to.

By going the trust route you take out the need for a CLEO sign off and having the photo and finger print cards. But you don't own the item. The item is owned by the trust. The process is still the same, the background check can still take as long either way, but the trusts "seem" to have less hang ups and get pushed threw faster. Not always though. All items have to be sent in, to answer you "gun by gun apply and wait". Each item has its own set of forms. The trust doesn't change that. Its just an entity that the item is transfered to instead of it being transfered to you personally.
Link Posted: 6/4/2010 8:06:34 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:

By going the trust route you take out the need for a CLEO sign off and having the photo and finger print cards. But you don't own the item. The item is owned by the trust. The process is still the same, the background check can still take as long either way, but the trusts "seem" to have less hang ups and get pushed threw faster. Not always though. All items have to be sent in, to answer you "gun by gun apply and wait". Each item has its own set of forms. The trust doesn't change that. Its just an entity that the item is transferred to instead of it being transferred to you personally.

Thank you for the quick reply. What would happen in the event of the death of the person setting up the trust? Is the trust itself transferable?
Link Posted: 6/4/2010 8:57:53 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

By going the trust route you take out the need for a CLEO sign off and having the photo and finger print cards. But you don't own the item. The item is owned by the trust. The process is still the same, the background check can still take as long either way, but the trusts "seem" to have less hang ups and get pushed threw faster. Not always though. All items have to be sent in, to answer you "gun by gun apply and wait". Each item has its own set of forms. The trust doesn't change that. Its just an entity that the item is transferred to instead of it being transferred to you personally.

Thank you for the quick reply. What would happen in the event of the death of the person setting up the trust? Is the trust itself transferable?

all you want to know.

http://blog.princelaw.com/2009/1/12/gun-nfa-trust-frequently-asked-questions

Link Posted: 6/4/2010 1:59:52 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

When you set them up you have the trustee and the grantor. So you'll have to name someone in the trust that will take care of it if you(the grantor) die or become unable to take care of the trust. The link to the prince site answers most of the questions you might have on it.
Link Posted: 6/4/2010 4:04:46 PM EDT
[#18]
Sweet, thanks guys!
Link Posted: 6/4/2010 7:45:14 PM EDT
[#19]
No love for corporations?
Link Posted: 6/5/2010 9:02:20 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
No love for corporations?

You can do the corp, but there are on going fees that you have to deal with if you go that way. Have to file taxes for it, etc. If you had one set up to run a business with to start with, then wouldn't be a bad choice. But then again, the corp owns the items, and depending on what business you are in, if the corp could ever be sued for something, you'd stand to loose the NFA items owned by the corp. I have a restaurant, and wouldn't want to risk someone slipping and falling in the bath room, and sueing me for it and having to sell the MG's to settle it. Not saying it would likely happen, but it could.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top