Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/28/2009 11:04:24 AM EDT
Any decent outdoor ranges near Southampton that don't require you to jump through hoops? Hoping for a place that I can just show up at when I can, pay the fee & shoot.
Link Posted: 10/29/2009 12:57:49 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

Any decent outdoor ranges near Southampton that don't require you to jump through hoops? Hoping for a place that I can just show up at when I can, pay the fee & shoot.

Google Wicen Farms. $15 to shoot all day, plus $5 the first time you go for a badge ($5 each for a rifle/pistol/shotgun badge).

Link Posted: 10/29/2009 2:55:46 PM EDT
[#2]
Keep an eye out for our practical rifle shoot at LRGC.  LRGC Web Site
Link Posted: 10/29/2009 4:01:10 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Google Wicen Farms. $15 to shoot all day, plus $5 the first time you go for a badge ($5 each for a rifle/pistol/shotgun badge).

Wicen's makes you jump through the hoops to shoot.  Don't bother.  You will have to go through a half hour of training and gun handling safety.  I guess that is good for people who have NEVER shot before but for experienced shooters, Wicen's is not "plug and play".
Link Posted: 10/30/2009 4:54:26 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Wicen's makes you jump through the hoops to shoot.  Don't bother.  You will have to go through a half hour of training and gun handling safety.  I guess that is good for people who have NEVER shot before but for experienced shooters, Wicen's is not "plug and play".

It's hardly "jumping through hoops"...You get on the firing line and shoot just like you normally would, and as long as you follow established safety procedures and range rules and don't act like an idiot, you're signed off in 10 minutes and never have to do it again. It's about as "plug and play" as outdoor ranges anywhere get.

If you consider the 10-15 minutes to get a range badge "jumping through hoops", then I'm curious about what ranges in the area you shoot at. Wicen's Farm is convenient for those of us without the time to attend membership meetings, range cleanups and work parties, and without paying annual membership dues.

Link Posted: 10/30/2009 1:29:39 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

It's hardly "jumping through hoops"...You get on the firing line and shoot just like you normally would, and as long as you follow established safety procedures and range rules and don't act like an idiot, you're signed off in 10 minutes and never have to do it again. It's about as "plug and play" as outdoor ranges anywhere get.

If you consider the 10-15 minutes to get a range badge "jumping through hoops", then I'm curious about what ranges in the area you shoot at. Wicen's Farm is convenient for those of us without the time to attend membership meetings, range cleanups and work parties, and without paying annual membership dues.

I suppose I have been misinformed.  My humble appolgies.

I heard it was a real PIA and decided never to go there.  Myabe I should give them a try.  Thanks for the information KCR121

Link Posted: 11/3/2009 1:32:14 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Wicen's is the only thing you are going to find in the area that is public.

Everyone is going to have their own opinion and experience with every available range.  The owners of Wicens are good people and they support our sport all over the area.  I have seen Joe shooting in events at LRGC multiple times.  I have shot at Wicens with good experiences and one bad.  The bad was about two years ago right in the middle of a media storm they were going through and some changes to the rules to make the club a safer place to shoot.  Now that I think about it, bad may not be the right word to use.  I showed up with limited time to shoot and I was trying to finish sighting in a scope.  I'm and experienced shooter and I expected to get right on the line like I had all the other times I was there.  I did not know about the new (at the time) safety review.  After waiting for a range officer to sit with me, and then showing that I know how to safely handle my gun, I ran out of time and I was not able to complete sighting in the scope.  I truely do believe Wicens is a good range run by good people, but it may not be the venue for everyone.

I joind a local club because it was cheaper for me yearly then paying a fee every time I wanted to shoot and the match fees are generally discounted for club members.  Also, Wicen's longest distance is 100 yards and I was looking to start shooting longer distances.

There are a few clubs in the area, but I believe Langhorne Rod and Gun Club is by far the best options available and it's only about 15-20 minutes from Southampton depending on your exact location.  The club has a short range (10, 25, and 50 yard berms), a long range (50, 100, and 200 yard berms), a trap field, and lots or archery tragets.  As a member you have full use of the club within the posted rules and open range times (9am to legal sunset).  The club also host a number of different shooting events that are well organized and generally open to the public.  A few to mention are: action pistol, practical rifle, precision rifle, trap, sporting clays, 3D archery, etc.....

If you would like to see what LRGC has to offer send me a PM.  I also live in Southampton and I would be more then happy to take you as a guest some time.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top