Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/16/2009 6:35:22 PM EDT
The wife and I will be headed to western ohio for a wedding this weekend, and there is a chance her uncle will take us to the range. Are there any restrictions for traveling in Ohio with handguns and people from PA?   Thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 4:25:03 PM EDT
[#1]
So no one travels from PA to Ohio is a handgun?
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 4:11:56 AM EDT
[#2]
I suspect that no one is replying because they are not sure of Ohio law.  I’m not a lawyer, nor do I play one on TV, but what I do know is that Ohio is not a gun friendly state.  They have only in the past five years, adopted a concealed carry permit system after the Ohio supreme court ruled that the state was violating the state constitution by preventing individuals from carrying.  While Ohio does recognize some carry permits from other states, Pennsylvania IS NOT one of them.  If you do not have a permit from another state that IS recognized by Ohio, I would recommend that you keep the handgun and ammunition in separate containers, and ensure neither are accessible by the driver or passengers (i.e. locked in the trunk).  Do not keep ammunition loaded in magazine(s), as I believe Ohio law considers this a loaded weapon.  

As I indicated at the top, I am no expert on Ohio gun law, but these are the practices that are universally accepted for right of free passage, and the practices I have followed when traveling to / through Ohio.  You might do better posting this in the Ohio forum, where people are more familiar with the laws of their state.

Regards,

Matthew
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 5:42:19 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for the reply Matthew. We left them at home this time figuring there would not be a lot of time for range fun on this trip. I'll look into it furthur for our next trip out.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top