proposal that would
require gun owners to report a lost or stolen firearm
within a 72-hour period or face fines and possible imprisonment.  This law not
only violatesPennsylvanias state preemption laws, but it
makes innocent law-abiding victims into
criminals
.  A vote by the City Council is expected on Tuesday, June

––––––––––––––––

SEE THE LINK FOR Full Story and CONTACT INFO FOR COUNCIL MEMBERS..
NRA Lancaster Info
Even if you don't live there - you can email or call.  

Link Posted: 6/10/2009 4:51:45 PM EDT
[#1]
I may be off base but why wouldn't you want to report a lost/stolen firearm? We continually take handguns and long guns off of shitbags across the border in NY (mainly Binghamton and Elmira) and some of them, had they been reported, would have found their way home. Especially the Remington Rand 1911A1 with the pre production serial number valued at 15K +, it's a manhole cover now despite our best efforts to find out who it was stolen from.
Link Posted: 6/10/2009 5:46:36 PM EDT
[#2]
I have always agreed with that, and by the way if you don't know one has been stolen something is really wrong! But the argument is if we give into that, they will just want more next time.
Link Posted: 6/10/2009 8:11:12 PM EDT
[#3]
I agree with reporting ANYTHING stolen.

The problem is that some of these proposed laws require reporting within [a certain time frame] of when the gun was actually stolen and NOT when the owner realized it.
Link Posted: 6/11/2009 2:58:37 AM EDT
[#4]
All I said is if you don't know one is missing something is wrong. There is no way one of mine could be gone without me knowing, unless I was on vacation. Even with that we have an alarm system mainly because of the guns.
Link Posted: 6/11/2009 4:19:17 AM EDT
[#5]
Your spare tire is stolen from the trunk of your car...

How long before you notice?

Sorry, too long you have to pay a $1,000 fine – you are the criminal here, thank God we caught you!

So if the City can pick and choose which State laws it wants to follow and which to ignore, do you have the same option?
Link Posted: 6/11/2009 5:18:26 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
All I said is if you don't know one is missing something is wrong. There is no way one of mine could be gone without me knowing, unless I was on vacation. Even with that we have an alarm system mainly because of the guns.

I had a friend who was robbed. They only took a few valuable, out of sight items -jewelry and other small items. It took him a week or two to realize that he had been robbed. He was just figuring that his stuff had just been moved or misplaced until he really started thinking about it. Then it was too late because any prints had surely been covered up by his and his families prints. Not all crooks are complete fools.

Unless you inventory all your stuff every 24, 48, 72 hrs then you are MORE likely subject to becoming a convicted criminal than the thieves because they (the po po with their non-existant registries) know who you are and where you live.

Link Posted: 6/11/2009 7:37:34 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I had a friend who was robbed. They only took a few valuable, out of sight items -jewelry and other small items. It took him a week or two to realize that he had been robbed. He was just figuring that his stuff had just been moved or misplaced until he really started thinking about it. Then it was too late because any prints had surely been covered up by his and his families prints. Not all crooks are complete fools.

Unless you inventory all your stuff every 24, 48, 72 hrs then you are MORE likely subject to becoming a convicted criminal than the thieves because they (the po po with their non-existant registries) know who you are and where you live.

Good point!

I do hope your friend gets his jewelry back
Link Posted: 6/11/2009 9:13:07 AM EDT
[#8]
The way the law is written will determine the validity of your concerns. I'm fairly positive it will be "within X hrs of dicovery of the firearm being lost or stolen". Is here anyway and many know how fucked our laws can be to decipher.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 6:49:55 AM EDT
[#9]
The problem is, is there is no legal penalty for trying to pass a law that violates current state or federal law. The charge should be intentionally violating current constitutional law. The penalty should be a loss of freedom and fines at least double of that, that the proposed law would impose upon violaters of said proposed law.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 10:04:25 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
The problem is, is there is no legal penalty for trying to pass a law that violates current state or federal law. The charge should be intentionally violating current constitutional law. The penalty should be a loss of freedom and fines at least double of that, that the proposed law would impose upon violaters of said proposed law.

Is this a form of anarchy?

They should lead by example. That is by following the law. This is just one more example of how the legislative and judicial systems are broken. YMMV

Link Posted: 6/15/2009 11:03:04 AM EDT
[#11]
Did this "vote" ever happen last week?  Any results?  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top