BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/18/2008 6:13:24 PM EDT
A guy told me today that there was a really good range just off of Rt 60

Anyone know the name?
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 7:56:27 PM EDT
[#1]
Greater Pittsburgh Gun Club.

Its actually more off 22-30 near the construction of the new toll road, which bodes well for the future.  If you're coming from pittsburgh, get off onto 22-30 right before Robinson, and follow that out past imperial.  I want to say its one exit farther than that.  Directions past that i can show you, but not tell you.

$6 all day shooting for non-members.  Private pistol bays, indoor (barn) pistol, skeet, trap, 400yard rifle.   I make the drive from Monroeville.  My friend drives in from uniontown.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 4:28:37 PM EDT
[#2]
Is it back open again?
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 6:13:35 PM EDT
[#3]
Thats not the place.

I just located it on MSN/maps/aerial/ birds eye (you could probably find it on Google earth but MSN has the angled 360 degree higher definition angled close ups with their birds eye view)

What a place

100, 200, 300, 400, 500 yards ranges, 3 skeet and two trap and lots of indoor and under roof facilities.

It is just off of RT 60. At the 168 exit make a left and then a quick left on Mill st which appears to dead end into it.

I may try to get there tomorrow and check it out.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 6:18:43 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 7:40:56 PM EDT
[#5]
I went to Greater pitt last week and the gates were closed.  Are they closed again?  Also what is the name of this rage off 60 that you speak of? Very interested.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 4:26:01 AM EDT
[#6]
I did not get a chance to go there yesterday.  Maybe this week.

I don't know the name yet.
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 4:24:07 PM EDT
[#7]
Very interested as well!
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 6:05:27 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Very interested as well!

Did you see the birdseye view on MSN?

What is strange is the place seems so big and well laid out and I never heard anyone even talk about it before the other day.
Link Posted: 7/23/2008 4:04:00 AM EDT
[#9]
Greater Pitt is done. The owner got busted again...it was open till last week and got raided. Dumbass......it was a great place to shoot.

I live close to mill st in Aliquippa. The only club I know of is Bucktails, and they only have a 300yd range.
Link Posted: 7/23/2008 4:52:54 AM EDT
[#10]
What did they get raided for this time?
Link Posted: 7/23/2008 5:01:19 AM EDT
[#11]
Five hundred yard range:  You can move the pic to see it all

link

Trap/ Skeet/ Clubhouse ect.

Link2

I am going to try to get there today.

The place is just a few miles south of New Castle
Link Posted: 7/23/2008 8:02:39 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Five hundred yard range:  You can move the pic to see it all

link

Trap/ Skeet/ Clubhouse ect.

Link2

I am going to try to get there today.

The place is just a few miles south of New Castle

damn...nice

please get us some info on the club....I'd have some interest in the 500yd range...just got an M1A1 national match.

heres the info on gretaer pitt

http://www.observer-reporter.com/OR/Story/07-10-Canonsburg-brief-MUST-RUN

Multiple charges

Agents from the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms, assisted by McDonald police, arrested Joseph Donald "Tex" Freund, 56, owner of Greater Pittsburgh Gun Club, 920 King Road, Robinson Township, Allegheny County, and charged him with possession of a firearm and ammunition by a convicted felon on Wednesday.

Freund was taken by ATF agents for arraignment before a federal magistrate in Allegheny County, and was placed in Allegheny County Jail.

McDonald police also arrested Timothy Staub, 27, manager of the gun club, and his wife, Kimberly Staub, 27, after drugs reportedly were found at the business. The two were charged with possession, possession with intent to deliver and paraphernalia.

McDonald police Chief Mark Dorsey said the pair also were charged with endangering the welfare of children and recklessly endangering another person because they admitted to smoking drugs while their 1- and 2-year-old children were in the club where the Staubs and Freund live.

Timothy and Kimberly Staub were scheduled to be arraigned by video before District Justice Larry Hopkins at midnight Wednesday.

Mt. Pleasant Township and state police assisted in the arrests.
Link Posted: 7/23/2008 9:25:19 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

heres the info on gretaer pitt

http://www.observer-reporter.com/OR/Story/07-10-Canonsburg-brief-MUST-RUN

Multiple charges

Agents from the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms, assisted by McDonald police, arrested Joseph Donald "Tex" Freund, 56, owner of Greater Pittsburgh Gun Club, 920 King Road, Robinson Township, Allegheny County, and charged him with possession of a firearm and ammunition by a convicted felon on Wednesday.

Freund was taken by ATF agents for arraignment before a federal magistrate in Allegheny County, and was placed in Allegheny County Jail.

McDonald police also arrested Timothy Staub, 27, manager of the gun club, and his wife, Kimberly Staub, 27, after drugs reportedly were found at the business. The two were charged with possession, possession with intent to deliver and paraphernalia.

McDonald police Chief Mark Dorsey said the pair also were charged with endangering the welfare of children and recklessly endangering another person because they admitted to smoking drugs while their 1- and 2-year-old children were in the club where the Staubs and Freund live.

Timothy and Kimberly Staub were scheduled to be arraigned by video before District Justice Larry Hopkins at midnight Wednesday.

Mt. Pleasant Township and state police assisted in the arrests.

Oh for Pete's sake!  

Link Posted: 7/23/2008 10:43:17 AM EDT
[#14]
Wow.  Then it deserves to be closed.  I wonder if it will go up for sale and how much?  It would be nice if someone to buy it and fix it up.

Here is the location that I found,  Looks nice but too far for me.
N Mill St @40.937433, -80.378113
Link Posted: 7/23/2008 10:45:53 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Wow.  Then it deserves to be closed.  I wonder if it will go up for sale and how much?  It would be nice if someone to buy it and fix it up.

A friend of mine is looking into it. He heard its going up for sheriffs sale...not sure how true that is.
Link Posted: 7/23/2008 10:54:45 AM EDT
[#16]
That would be nice to get it on the cheap.  But I bet some developer would scoop it up.
Link Posted: 7/23/2008 2:19:54 PM EDT
[#17]
I stopped there this afternoon.  Very easy to get to - about 2 minutes from the 168 exit on Rt 60

Really nice place.  Nice people running it.

It is the Lawrence County Sportsman's Association

The whole place is only a year or two old and they have over a million dollars invested in their facilities. Over 260 acres.

Ranges are up to 600 yards long in 100 yd increments with a 50yd and a pistol.

Under roof benches that you can pull your car right up to

22 cal golf and silhouette targets

For shot guns they have 3 skeet, two trap, full remote sporting, 5 stand and pyramid.

I signed myself and wife up on the spot, it is about the best that I have seen in our part of the country.

Here is a link to their web site..

Link
Link Posted: 7/30/2008 10:01:31 AM EDT
[#18]
www.mcdonaldsportsmen.com/
600 yard rifle range
6 pistol bays
indoor pistol
trap and skeet
archery
Link Posted: 7/30/2008 6:23:10 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
I stopped there this afternoon.  Very easy to get to - about 2 minutes from the 168 exit on Rt 60

The whole place is only a year or two old and they have over a million dollars invested in their facilities. Over 260 acres.

For shot guns they have 3 skeet, two trap, full remote sporting, 5 stand and pyramid.

I signed myself and wife up on the spot, it is about the best that I have seen in our part of the country.

Link

Thanks for the heads up.  I live in Lawrence County and didn't know this place existed.  I knew about Castlewood Rod & Gun Club, but it's almost impossible to get in there.
Link Posted: 7/31/2008 7:02:37 PM EDT
[#20]
McDonald sounds nice but I think they want too much of your time.  But if ther are it then I might have to settle because I am getting sick of the round rule at Wexford game lands.
Link Posted: 8/5/2008 8:56:22 AM EDT
[#21]
I think the price at McD is 150 per year for inactive members and 40 per year for active.

Active member is a person that makes 10 meetings and has 10 workdays in a year.  A workday is 4 hours.

It is a sweet range with about 400 acres to which members can hunt on.
Link Posted: 8/5/2008 9:20:05 AM EDT
[#22]
tag
Link Posted: 8/17/2008 8:48:46 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Link

Thanks for the heads up.  I live in Lawrence County and didn't know this place existed.  I knew about Castlewood Rod & Gun Club, but it's almost impossible to get in there.

Finally had a chance to stop in today.  Signed up for a membership.  Facilities look amzing.
Link Posted: 9/18/2008 12:52:57 PM EDT
[#24]
Bringing it up again becasue I still need a place and Wexford is killing me.
Link Posted: 9/18/2008 4:07:05 PM EDT
[#25]
Join this place it is just north of Wexford.

I went to one of their meetings a few weeks ago.  I met a bunch of really nice people who care a lot about their club.

They read their financial report.  They are very very healthy.

Link Posted: 9/19/2008 7:13:46 PM EDT
[#26]
How much farther is it from Wexford?  I live in Pittsburgh 15226.  Just looking and weighing my options.
Link Posted: 9/20/2008 5:09:45 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
How much farther is it from Wexford?  I live in Pittsburgh 15226.  Just looking and weighing my options.

About 50miles according to google maps.

Use the following coordinates:
N 40.92114° W 80.37439°

Then put in your address.  
Basically jump on Turnpike towards OHIO.  
Get on Toll 60 North.  
Exit 40 Moravia on Route 168. (About a couple miles off 60).
Link Posted: 9/20/2008 9:15:44 AM EDT
[#28]
50 Miles is a little far.  

What is the average distance that everyone drives to go to the range?
Link Posted: 9/20/2008 5:30:02 PM EDT
[#29]
I could drive about 4 miles if i would get around to joining Pitcairn-Monroeville sportsman's club.   Maybe i'm just used to how Greater Pittsburgh was open to the public, but it just drives me a little nuts to have to pay a $100+ membership fee, and yet still pay per hour.
I'd pay $10 per session if i could avoid the annual fee.
Link Posted: 9/25/2008 6:06:02 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
50 Miles is a little far.  

What is the average distance that everyone drives to go to the range?

I'm probably about 20 miles from there.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top