Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/13/2008 8:30:35 PM EDT
Looks like I might be in Altoona for 2-3 days in the next few weeks and was wondering if there's anything to do there. I've been there before but the city seems kinda dead or stagnant? So PA'ers  enlighten me.
Link Posted: 7/14/2008 12:58:18 PM EDT
[#1]
Ok, I'll try to take a stab here. If you like to drink, well, there are plenty of bars here. Drinking is one of the major pastimes for this town, heheeh. Depending on how old you are, and what kind of music/crowd you like to hang with, I can narrow down the many choices of bars you may wish to hang out at, and, some of these bars have very good food. We also have a nice microbrewery/restaurant (Marzoni's), that has great food, and great beer. Are you going to be staying in a hotel here? they will have the requisite guides to help with food and drink. Are you a rail fan? We have a nice railroad museum. We have one of the best minor league ball parks, and it is a blast to hang at, and the ticket prices are insanely cheap. And of course, the beer and food at the park is the best part! We have a large shopping mall, so you are covered there too, AND, we have three Starbucks! We have a few shooting ranges, and other cultural sites within short driving distance if you are into that sort of thing, to include some state/national historical parks, guided tours in caves, and if you want to take a 45 minute drive down to State College, your choices for places to drink, eat, and the women are much, much, better. I'm on the road for the next few weeks, so I won't be much help, but, hopefully some other members will chime in, a few other members live here in town, or the local area. We have a few decent gun shops also. If you have any specific questions, feel free to ask, I will try to get you more accurate info or at least steer you in the right direction!  
Link Posted: 7/14/2008 2:52:08 PM EDT
[#2]
^^^^^

What he said.  I'll be back in that area on leave from the 22nd to the 2st of August.  If you want do bring some firearms and do some shooting look me up.

CMS
Link Posted: 7/16/2008 6:54:20 PM EDT
[#3]
GLHX pretty much covered it. Bars and pizza places. I would suggest going to a Altoona Curve game. Great minor league atmosphere.
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 11:54:30 AM EDT
[#4]
You may want to check out East Coast Guns Sales a few miles down the road
in Duncansville.  I think there are several other small shops in that area.

http://www.eastcoastgunsales.com
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 2:49:44 PM EDT
[#5]
Hey, if you like to flyfish then you are in luck.  The early morning Trico hatch on Spring Creek in State College is worth the 45 minute drive from Altoona.  On your way back to Altoona stop and fish the George Harvey stretch of Spruce Creek (Jimmy Carter's Presidential helicopter was a common sight along the stream during his term in office).  Stop at the Spruce Creek Tavern and order their french fries, they are great.  Then fish the Little Juniata in the afternoon with terrestrial patterns.  

Take Care!
Dave
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top