Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/10/2007 1:54:04 PM EDT
My mom was thinking about getting a sigma for hp, and i was wondering if there is a way i can take it to the range by myself or does she have to be with me. i am only 18. thanks
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 4:39:53 PM EDT
[#1]
She doesn't have to be with you. You just need to be transporting it correctly. I think a lot of the LE community doesn't really know what exactly the law is anyway, but make sure you do.
When I was 18, I remember trying to find out the same legal questions. I called several LE offices and I would get slightly varying answers from all of them. But basically keep your ammo away from the pistol in seperate compartments in the vehicle. I was told once or twice the gun had to be in a locked container, also heard it didn't matter just so it was seperated and not acceptable.
Bottom line, do your best to find out what you need to do, and better yet, never get pulled over and it's a non-issue.
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 4:48:48 PM EDT
[#2]
The handgun MUST be unloaded.

The handun and ammo MUST be seperate containers, or at least one must in a container (pistol in a case, ammo sitting next to the case is fine).

NOTHING has to be locked.

NOTHING has to be out of the reach of the driver.
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 5:31:53 PM EDT
[#3]
ok but you guys are sure its ok to even be in my possession though? I always thought it was a strict 21 only kinda thing.
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 7:24:39 PM EDT
[#4]
Its 21yoa to buy a handgun.

Its 21yoa to carry with a permit.

As long as you are going to or from the range (and a few other places) and the handgun/ammo is carried as I described, you are legal.
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 9:00:35 AM EDT
[#5]
hey cool thanks alot man
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 10:23:04 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Its 21yoa to buy a handgun.

Its 21yoa to buy handgun ammo.

Its 21yoa to carry with a permit.

As long as you are going directly to or from the range (and a few other places) and the handgun/ammo is carried as I described, you are legal.
Needed additions.

So your mother better be the one with the gun & ammo.
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 11:14:52 AM EDT
[#7]
smith what do you mean she better be the one with it? i though they just said that i can by myself bring the gun and ammo the range and back. she was going to buy it like i said and the ammo i guess to, but i don't know if i can drag her out of the house as much as i would like to take it to the range.
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 11:20:13 AM EDT
[#8]
The additions are correct.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top