Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/19/2006 8:52:51 AM EDT
I have a question about PA gunlaws and maybe someone can help from PA. I was looking to buy a 14.5 with a attached FS upper and I know all about the NFA stuff and I already know it is federally legal to have a pinned and welded 1.5in FS with a 14.5 barrel = 16 legal but is that correct in PA?

In resarching the state law it states

"Firearm." Any pistol or revolver with a barrel
length less than 15 inches, any shotgun with a
barrel length less than 18 inches or any rifle with
a barrel length less than 16 inches, or any pistol,
revolver, rifle or shotgun with an overall length of
less than 26 inches. The barrel length of a firearm
shall be determined by measuring from the
muzzle of the barrel to the face of the closed
action, bolt or cylinder, whichever is applicable.

a M4 type carbine meets the requirments of the length but not barrel to the muzzle (that would be without the FS) some are saying if its pinned then the FS is the new length because you cant remove it but the definition clearly states the MUZZLE.

If that is the case then even a pinned barrel is still illegal in PA even if BATF says it ok.. Is that the right interpretation?? his
Link Posted: 12/19/2006 7:07:13 AM EDT
[#1]
Well, I think you would need the legally accepted definition of muzzle to answer that question.
Link Posted: 12/19/2006 7:16:03 AM EDT
[#2]
I've never heard of it being an issue in PA, and I know folks that even have the 11.5 with a permanent 5.5 fh

Federal law should prevail
Link Posted: 12/19/2006 7:19:18 AM EDT
[#3]
No problems that I am aware or.

As long as the muzzle device is permanently attached and brings the overall length to 16" or more.
Link Posted: 12/19/2006 7:37:54 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
"Firearm." Any pistol or revolver with a barrel
length less than 15 inches
, any shotgun with a
barrel length less than 18 inches or any rifle with
a barrel length less than 16 inches, or any pistol,
revolver, rifle or shotgun with an overall length of
less than 26 inches. The barrel length of a firearm
shall be determined by measuring from the
muzzle of the barrel to the face of the closed
action, bolt or cylinder, whichever is applicable.

If I was you, I'd be more worried about your pistols as I'm sure its safe to bet none of them have 15" barrels!
Link Posted: 12/19/2006 8:06:42 AM EDT
[#5]
ha ... yes i know that and I have a colt officers model with a for sure less than 15in barrel h
I know.... the law makes no sense to me.... does any gun law????
Link Posted: 12/19/2006 7:42:25 AM EDT
[#6]
16 overall is all that is needed in pa.
Link Posted: 12/19/2006 10:58:12 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I know.... the law makes no sense to me.... does any gun law????
Except for Firearm Laws concerning minors, felons and the mentally disabled, Not Really.
Link Posted: 12/20/2006 6:24:01 AM EDT
[#8]
You're confusing PA's definition of "firearm" with what is legal.  16 rifle bbl is OK. As long as the flash hider is permanently attached the barrel can be less than 16" as long as the fh brings it up tp 16".
Link Posted: 12/31/2006 3:36:02 AM EDT
[#9]
As long as it's pinned and welded there shouldn't be an issue. I have a Bushy 14.5 with a 1.5 FS that permanently attached.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top