Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/1/2006 11:23:12 AM EDT
I'll be in Philly next weekend, what are some recommended things to see and do?  Any restaurant recommendations?
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 7:56:38 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 3:05:41 AM EDT
[#2]
If price is no object, I'd go to one of the Steven Starr restaurants.  Here is a link to his site.............

Starr Site

I've been to many and with the exception of Morimoto's, had great food and great service.  For romance I'd pick Budakon or Tangerine.  For a power dinner, the Striped Bass. His latest, Alma de Cuba is a great spot if you are dining with friends.

Either way...avoid the temptation to go to the Old Original Bookbinders like ever other tourist.

Regards,
Gary
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 7:52:40 AM EDT
[#3]
Gary hit most of the high points for food.

Alma de Cuba has great mohitos.  If you go, definitely try one.  The cerviche is pretty good as well.

Morimoto's is good Japanese/Asian type food.  The booths change color every so often.  You get used to it.  Only been there once though.

Went to the Striped Bass a few weeks ago. Excellent food, but (as usual with higher end places) not enough of it.    I miss their beluga caviar; they don't offer that any more.

They just converted the "old" Bookbinders (the original location) to an Applebees!  

Link Posted: 4/3/2006 8:39:56 AM EDT
[#4]
I was at the Stripped Bass back in February on a Saturday evening.  I was amazed at the number of middle aged guys  (like me) with young chippies on there arms.  My wife noticed me noticing the combinations and said the following profundity  " Yes you too could have a mid-twenty something girlfriend, but then after alimony and child-support, you could no longer afford to eat here."  

Ain't married life grand!

Gary
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 5:55:08 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I'll be in Philly next weekend, what are some recommended things to see and do?  Any restaurant recommendations?

Born and raised in Philly, I'd say skip the expen$ive restaurants, grab a cheesesteak and a TastyKake, buy lots of ammo and help clean up the streets in the ghettos (aka most of the city)
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 1:44:18 AM EDT
[#6]
Steven Starr is an asshole, and his restaurants blow.

Everything he does is a ripoff of something you could actually get cheaper in NYC.

How do I know? Because I'm a professional Chef born and raised downtown- I had to sue his lame ass for consulting fees he owed me for giving him a menu cribbed from another Manhattan place.

If you really want to know what Philly is about culinarily speaking, stay away from Center City- you'll just get ripped off. Got to an outlying 'hood for some real food- real Mexican, Vietnamese (Philly had the oldest- and until recently largest- Viet community in the US), and Chinese- not to mention all manner of South and Central American cuisines. This is the stuff Steve Starr is cribbing from for his ripoff places anyway- why not go the source?

Budakan = Asia De Cuba

Continental = Global

Morimoto = Nobu

Alma De Cuba = Postrio

And so on...

And so on...

He rips these places off right down to the decor- take it from me, a guy who does this for a living going on 30 years.

Save your money and ask the Mexican guy who carries your bags where he eats after work. You'll graze like a viking for 10 bucks, and get a real picture of Philly.
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 7:42:15 AM EDT
[#7]
I hope you collected what was due you.  I hate to see a fellow AR15er get the shaft. The way I look at it, I get out maybe five to six times a year between the job, kids, volunteer work etc.  The "food" is only part of the equation.  It is impracticle for me to travel to NYC.  My wife loves chic high end resturants.  As for me, the mexican guy's suggestion would be fine, but, that wouldn't sell well with the wife unit.  

If you go to a Starr resturant, prepare to spend between $150-$200 a couple.  While I can not speak for other cities or his "ethics", if you go to Phila and have limited time and have a wife unit who likes chic trendy spots with good food, good service and high prices, the Starr resturants fit the bill.

Enjoy and tell us where you wind up.

Regards,
Gary
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 12:45:07 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 6:52:25 PM EDT
[#9]
I really liked visiting Philadelphia, an interesting city with rich history and a neat downtown area.  I also liked seeing different areas of the city.  I had PHỞ at a good Vietnamese restaurant, reserved my own pizza dough at Tacconellis in Port Richmond, walked by all the touristy restaurants on Walnut Street in Center City, had brews in an Irish pub down by the river, sampled various good food at the Reading Terminal Market, and bought Kielbasa in the Bridesburg / Fishtown areas.  I never got around to having a Cheesesteak.  I saw the art museum of Rocky fame, the boathouses, Independence Hall, the new National Constitution Center, the U.S. Mint, Ben Franklin & Betsy Ross stuff, the old ships, and all the neat statues and sculptures all over the place.  I really liked the chess pieces in the downtown square.
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 3:17:30 AM EDT
[#10]
Glad you had fun!

Regards,
Gary
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top