Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/22/2006 4:53:00 AM EDT
I live in the KOP area and located a nice pistol to trade for. I am eager to get the ball rolling but these is a catch, my dealer wants the hadgun to go from FFL to FFL and not from the person to my FFL. What is the legal way of doing things here as I just moved from NY. Is there an FFL around these parts that won't give me shit about this? If anyone can help, please chime in. I need an FFL who can help me out.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 12:56:09 PM EDT
[#1]
I had no problem doing that out here in Lancaster at Trop Gun. I suggest you contact Dave Donley at Donely (sp) Guns in Quakertown. I used him for a face to face transfer and he is a member on here.
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 1:06:53 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 1:38:46 PM EDT
[#3]
Headhunter, I'd like to know who YOU talked to at Trop's. Last December I wanted to transfer an AR I traded for through them, the guy sending it used to have his own FFL and showed on ATF's website where it's legal.

When I called Trop's to set it up they put a guy named Moe on the phone who told me they only take dealer-to-dealer transfers on gun no matter what. I told him it was legal and offered to bring in the info downloaded from the ATF site. His reply was "We know it's legal, we don't care." Needless to say the conversation was terminated at that point.

By the way, I talked to an ATF inspector yesterday regarding this issue and in his words "You can ship any gun anywhere you want as long as you ship it to an FFL on the receiving end."  
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 4:27:44 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
By the way, I talked to an ATF inspector yesterday regarding this issue and in his words "You can ship any gun anywhere you want as long as you ship it to an FFL on the receiving end."  

Not that the ATF knows, reads, or obeys the law.   Its' techinically legal to mail a gun to yourself, but good luck finding any shipper that will accept a handgun if they know what it is.
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 4:38:51 AM EDT
[#5]
Actually the guy I talked to was recommended by one of the shops I go to sometimes, I had called the regional ATF office and was told it was only FFL/FFL, then called another shop and was told the same, the last call I made was to a guy who's been around for a number of years and told me I could send it myself.

When I told him about the previous calls he gave me the number for the ATF inspectors who audit his shop. We were both thinking the same thing, that the phone call to the regional office might have gotten me whoever was close, maybe not a firearms agent. The ATF website states pretty much the same thing, you can mail to an FFL yourself.

Before anybody starts thinking I have implicit trust in the Fed at any level, after 8 years in the military and dealing with them for other things I take it all with a big grain of sand.    
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top