Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/21/2006 12:55:22 PM EDT
Sorry about this but I posted the same questions a while ago and you guys recommended two to call. At the time I was in Asia and figured that I would retrieve the info upon my return. Well, I'm back and the tread is gone....

One of the guys was Dave Donnelly (sp) in Quakertown - I have already sent him two emails last week though AR15.com but he has never replied so I guess he is not interested.

Who was the other guy? Thinking that he may have been in Chester...? Some guy who works out of his basement...?

All I need is some 922r. parts replaced in mine (trigger group, gas tube, etc.) and I want to get a US made Slant Muzzle Break installed which would need the barrel treaded, I think.

Thanks guys!

Dave
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 4:55:06 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 6:34:09 PM EDT
[#2]
How you do that?

Thank you sir!
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 12:34:24 PM EDT
[#3]
phillyd2 let me know how you make out I'm looking to have SAR 1 barrel threaded 14x1LH too. I did the G2 FCG myself it wasn't hard. I might do the barrel myself too but the place that sells the kits has not got back to me after two e-mails sent to them. There is a guy (WJM) on the EE that rents the kits out but I wanna do it when I wanna do it and not be rushed into to doing it. Here is a link that will help with the FCG www.gunsnet.net/Linx310/index.shtml
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 12:49:46 PM EDT
[#4]
Philly Dave is better to call I sent you his contact info and leave a message. I have done that twice and he called me back both times
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 12:51:42 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 3:41:40 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
phillyd2 let me know how you make out I'm looking to have SAR 1 barrel threaded 14x1LH too. I did the G2 FCG myself it wasn't hard. I might do the barrel myself too but the place that sells the kits has not got back to me after two e-mails sent to them. There is a guy (WJM) on the EE that rents the kits out but I wanna do it when I wanna do it and not be rushed into to doing it. Here is a link that will help with the FCG www.gunsnet.net/Linx310/index.shtml

I guess I can attempt the trigger but I hear the Shepard's hook can be a real pain. But other than the barrel treading, which I will not even try - I'm leery of replacing the Gas Tube since to remove the old one I need to tap out a pin. We are now getting into areas that require real tools

I just got the wood back from a friend who did a great job on the original Hungarian Blond Stock.

For the muzzle break I'm going with Global Trades but they are out of stock for another 3 weeks or so.

Click Here

Now if I can just get my damn backordered ammo to ship!

Any way, I'll keep you posted.
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 4:39:21 PM EDT
[#7]
Yeah my SAR is in a parts box. I cut my front sight off with a dremel. I was able to tap the pins out of my gas block and remove that too. I ordered a new gas block with bayonet lug from K-Var but the dam pin holes weren't drilled. I got a new front sight block and pins coming from Global Trades. I should of just sent it out and had this work done. I don't think theres any smiths in the area that have experiance with AK type rifles.

I got a Arsenal SA-M5S (5.56) AK to get around the 7.62 shortage. I also got a Saiga 12 that I had to send back to RAA cause the barrel was too short. Hopefuly I will get that back soon and have it converted.

I was up Targetmaster Sunday to see if they were able to thread a barrel and get some ammo but that place is such a joke I couldn't get to talk to the one guy they had working or buy my ammo.
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 5:15:36 PM EDT
[#8]
The exact reason I would rather just send it out and have a expert do it all. I know for a fact that if I had one to play with (read screw up!) then I could learn and would be good to go on my second one. Trouble is I only have one!!!

I have a Hungarian FEG post ban AK-47 with a stamped receiver. Then I bought a FEG SA-85 Hungarian parts kit for the original wood. Putting them together I should have a near perfect Hungarian with original receiver, stamped FEG and Made in Hungary. This route is more expensive but rather do this instead of putting a USA receiver on some Hungarian parts.

I ordered a Tapco Compliance Kit (US Made Trigger Group & Gas Tube) that I need installed. I also want to put on the US made Treaded Slant Muzzle Brake (which I still need to buy). To install the Muzzle Brake the end of the barrel will need to be Treaded so I want to make sure whoever does the work knows what he is doing and has worked on AK's before. I hear too that the Trigger Group can be a bitch in install for first timers like me.

So, just want to find one guy to do the work perfectly the first time.
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 6:01:12 AM EDT
[#9]
Well you could do the fire control group yourself, you can't screw anything up and you will save a few bucks. It took me about a half hour, I had a little trouble getting the shepards crook to stay in place when I was putting the trigger pin in.

The gas piston would be tough getting out without doing any damage to the bolt and you will need  a drill press to install the new US gas piston. There is directions on Red Star Arms web site if your interested. You could buy or rent the barrel threading kit and try it on the kit barrel first and if you get it right you could do your barrel. Evryone says it real easy and the guy who rents them gives you his cell number in case you have any problems.

Your best bet is to send it off to someone who builds AK's like Ohio Rapid Fire, InRange, Tromix, they all have web sites. There are other guys out there too but I know those two guys are known for doing good work.  I don't think there is anyone local that builds AK's but I could be wrong. If you find someone local let me know my SAR still might be lying in a box in pieces.
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 3:20:27 PM EDT
[#10]
Did I mention that I need to call a electrician to change a light bulb? Not quite that but damn close

Dave Donley finally got back to me and declined the work. No other locals have returned my calls so I contacted Troy at Insight based on good recommendations here and on the various AK boards. He is not too busy these days and will do everything in just a few weeks for just a few bucks.

I'm sure I could have figured out a few of the items and had a great offer of help with treading the barrel (lost his original email - long story...) and would rather have given the business to a local guy...but, I feel much better having one expert doing everything right the first time. I'm a happy puppy today!

For your SAR, check out the guys recommended to me at:

Click Here

You may have better luck with them then me.

Dave
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 5:46:03 PM EDT
[#11]
The other guy is Paul Eichenberg.  He is is Chester county.  610-269-0870
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 4:43:32 AM EDT
[#12]
Thats cool glad you found someone to do the work for you.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 7:01:34 AM EDT
[#13]
Guys, I have offered to help you all out as I have just about all the tools you need to do just about anything on an AK.  I build all my own and have treaded my SAR-1 and WASR-10 using my die and TAT.

It would take about 5 minutes to thread the barrel but you will also need the retainer plunger and spring to hold the muzzle break from turning.
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 4:39:52 AM EDT
[#14]
E-Mail sent
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top