Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/12/2006 1:13:50 PM EDT
Me and a friend are considering joining    http://www.mifflincosportsmens.com

Anyone been there? What do you think of the range and folks that run the place?

Thanks guys,

Shawn
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 2:31:33 PM EDT
[#1]

I'm having major issues with trying to load that website.

I'm dying to shoot my FAL and Winchester Model 70 at 600+ ranges.
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 3:29:50 PM EDT
[#2]
The page loads fine for me. The range is in Lewistown PA & costs $30 a year.

But I wanted to try to find someone that has been there before I make the trip. I live in MD and it sucks for long distance shooting.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 1:49:06 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 4:50:14 PM EDT
[#4]
This is my local club (although I'm not as active as I'd like to be).

No full auto allowed. The justification was that folks had abused full auto in the past and blew up the backstops, etc. I don't think anyone has pushed the issue since it was enacted.

Pretty casual atmosphere. No mag limits, rounds per minute, or other BS. But it's a BIG time lever and bolt action crowd so don't be suprised by nasty looks or smart comments if trying to bump dump a Beta mag.

If you go during the middle of a weekday, there's a good chance you'll be the only one there. If you go on the weekend before deer season, you'll wait in line for a shooting position.

The club is located in a hollow at the base of a mountain, on a gated dirt road. You get the combination to the gate when you purchase your membership (available at the 2 local sporting goods shops).

Very nice trap/skeet setup if you're into that kind of thing. Pop machine and outhouse for amenities.

Any specific questions, just ask.

Sam B.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 5:54:14 PM EDT
[#5]
Sam you say it is a gated range? I emailed the membership guy asking about checking the place out and got no reply. Been about a week now.

If I go tomorrow I guess there is no way to get in to check it out???? Please let me know as I don't want to make a wasted trip.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 7:13:19 PM EDT
[#6]
I emailed them too.

I want to see if they're interested letting me host a Rally Point  event out there.  I could put some  pretty cool stuff together at that club.

I'll let you know if I hear anything.

Link Posted: 3/20/2006 3:04:42 PM EDT
[#7]
Well I am a member of the range as of today. I must say it is a really nice range with a great layout.

If you live anywhere near this range you must check it out.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 2:51:07 PM EDT
[#8]
I haven't gotten any responses from them.

Altramagnus- Can you find out if it is possible to rent out that place for a day?  They haven't responded to any of my emails as of yet.

I'd like to hold something there in last summer.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 3:29:56 PM EDT
[#9]
I'll try my best to find out but when I was there no one else was. If I was you I would look to see if there is maybe a number to call them.
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 1:11:45 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 5:00:59 PM EDT
[#11]
SamB,

1000 yd range about 4 hours from me that I can use a potential 365 days a year-sign me up!
I think it's the closest 1000 yd range to me that isn't govt/military controlled.
A couple of questions for you.

It looks like a 10pt range- 5 right & 5 left (long range) am I correct?
To change the targets beyond 200 yd they suggest using your 4wd (car/truck or ATV) ?

How difficult is it to get an out of state pistol permit & CCW in that county?

Link Posted: 4/4/2006 2:26:28 PM EDT
[#12]
I have pics of the rifle range, I will post them after I eat tonight. Should give you a good idea of the setup.

Shawn
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 2:30:06 PM EDT
[#13]
Well I didn't wanna wait that long so here is the pic.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v102/altramagnus/range004.jpg

This is a shot of the left side which has the 1000 yrd targets. As you can see on the right side has out to about 500 or 600yrds.
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 4:50:03 PM EDT
[#14]
Looks like a nice range and a good place to spend a day shooting- 500, 600, 1000yds!!! All for just $30 year!
It's a trip for me, but where else can I go for that kind of distance.

I want to bring my handguns, so I'm going to try and get a non-resident permit for them. I hope it won't be a problem obtaining one.
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 5:03:31 PM EDT
[#15]
I know what you mean about a drive, takes me 3 hours to get there.

My bud just applied for a non-resident CCW permit so I will keep you posted on that. From what I hear though it is a piece of cake and only costs 20$.

Shawn
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top