Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/11/2006 2:09:25 PM EDT
There was a negligent discharge today were they check your weapon and put a wire tie through the action. Nobody got perforated.

Did anybody else hear it? Or know any details. I was not far from the area were it happened. This makes for a strong argument to just leave holstered guns alone.
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 4:23:05 PM EDT
[#1]
I've never seen them use a clearing barrel or anything, just a couple of guys at the table fumbling with unfamiliar weapons.
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 4:36:54 PM EDT
[#2]
yea.................
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 9:49:12 PM EDT
[#3]
Mine firearm (s) is/are always cleared by me before going into the building.

I always hand the table help an unloaded pistol with the slide already locked back.
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 7:57:18 AM EDT
[#4]
This is what I heard today, the story is a little sketchy. A guy bought a Glock and when he was leaving the show he put a loaded mag in it. The security guy or someone cut the safety tie off of it for the guy and it slam fired when the slide came forward. No finger on the trigger, a real slam fire. The Glock was immediately returned to the selling dealer.

This is what I heard, I was not there when it happened.
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 9:42:38 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
This is what I heard today, the story is a little sketchy. A guy bought a Glock and when he was leaving the show he put a loaded mag in it. The security guy or someone cut the safety tie off of it for the guy and it slam fired when the slide came forward. No finger on the trigger, a real slam fire. The Glock was immediately returned to the selling dealer.

This is what I heard, I was not there when it happened.

I call BS on the slam fire.  The guy probably had his finger on the trigger and gave the same old "it just went off" story.

Regardless, it does make me uncomfortable handing off to the guy to unload and clear my gun.  This one time the guy gave my buddy a lecture about how it was "dangerous" carrying with one in the chamber and "only SWAT teams should do that".  That tells me i'm handing off to someone who doesn't know jack shit about gun handling.

The most dangerous time to handle a gun is loading and unloading.  That means every show people are getting 2 chances to fuck up and put a hole in something as opposed to zero if they'd just leave us be.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 12:50:53 PM EDT
[#6]
Part of the problem of having folks clear guns.

If they just let you CCW...........
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 2:28:25 PM EDT
[#7]
Glocks cannot slam-fire.
The firing pin is in a relaxed position at all times, except when the trigger is being pulled. You can't slam or drop a Glock hard enough to make it go off. The firing pin just doesn't weigh enough.

The only way to make it fire is by pulling the trigger...  

Common misconception about Glocks is that there is an internal hammer that is "Cocked and locked" just ready to fall on the firing pin.
In actuality, it's no different than a DAO revolver. Just simpler, and without a hammer to strike the firing pin.
To explain it in simple terms...
When the trigger is pulled, it is "Charging" the spring loaded firing pin and "Releasing" it all in one motion of the trigger.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 3:31:39 PM EDT
[#8]
I suspect there is more to this story.....  It is my understanding that this type of failure is mechanically impossible with a Glock.  

Gary
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 6:23:06 PM EDT
[#9]
One more point to call BS on.  Purchased guns at the show are not zip tied.  At least the Sig I bought on Saturday or the Glock I bought last year.  

I would also question the training of the guys doing the gun checks.  I pulled out my gun and the guy is directly accross the table from me.  I put my gun on the table but made sure to point the muzzle to the side but how many loaded guns do you think he hqad pointed at him.  I would guess many.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 5:24:50 AM EDT
[#10]
BS BS BS BS

not only would it be REALY hard for the glock to slam fire but if it had slam fired it probably would have emptied the whole mag. if the fireing pin is locked forward (somehow)  then its just like an open bolt only not really. the trigger mechanism wouls have had to not catch the sear for it to slam fire, which would tell me the trigger mech or the sear was seriously FUBAR. not that glocks are infalable gods of guns but a design that simple is pretty hard to "slam fire" and pretty easy for a moron to put in a mag, release the slide and "drop the sear on an empty chamber". and BOOOOOMM, it slam fires
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 5:37:05 AM EDT
[#11]
I'd love to know what really happened here.  I've got to jump on the wagon and call bs so far.  Any first hand updates???  btw, no zip ties on the xd my friend bought on Friday night either.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 9:49:34 AM EDT
[#12]
The story about the ND being on a newly purchased gun is BS.  I've bought guns at the VF gun show before and none has been zip tied, nor have I ever seen a dealer put a zip tie on a gun he sold.  Plus it's hard (I won't say impossible) for a Glock to slam fire.

As I heard the story it was one of the guys who is in charge of ensuring guns that come into the show are clear.  He attempted to clear the gun and fouled up.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 5:14:58 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
The story about the ND being on a newly purchased gun is BS.  I've bought guns at the VF gun show before and none has been zip tied, nor have I ever seen a dealer put a zip tie on a gun he sold.  Plus it's hard (I won't say impossible) for a Glock to slam fire.

As I heard the story it was one of the guys who is in charge of ensuring guns that come into the show are clear.  He attempted to clear the gun and fouled up.

This sounds like the most plausible explanation.
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 5:10:58 AM EDT
[#14]
I unload my own.

NOT gonna hand some Yahoo my loaded piece Nope , not gonna happen
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 8:44:25 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

I always hand the table help an unloaded pistol with the slide already locked back.

+1 I do that in my car to minimize the posibilities, or they should just leave them alone after all it's defeating the whole idea of right to carry, if the gun community does not want loaded guns on their turf what does that say for the anti gun lobby, I think it's mostly insurance policy though
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 5:34:09 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1 I do that in my car to minimize the posibilities, or they should just leave them alone after all it's defeating the whole idea of right to carry, if the gun community does not want loaded guns on their turf what does that say for the anti gun lobby, I think it's mostly insurance policy though

You'd end up with a dozen yahoo's fitting their locked and loaded firearms into new holsters and accessories.  300 people show up at the show, you're bound to have a handfull of complete morons that want to wave their guns around ... cause they were in the military ... you know ... NASA's elete door gunner squad.
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 7:55:52 PM EDT
[#17]
Yea I hear ya I can certainly understand the risk with that, trying new holsters fany packs shoulder rigs

I guess one guy at the door handeling the unloading is less risk of 300 loaded guns with perhaps half of them being careless or even a few, I still say do it in the car.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top