Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/24/2006 7:54:19 PM EDT
I am getting transferred to Pittsburgh for about 5 months and moving up on Wednesday.  I was planning on bringing up my Bushmaster AR, Remington 870, Remington 700, HK USP and HK P2000.  Are there any laws that I should worry about before I make the move? I am assuming that all of those are OK (but coming from MD, one never knows....).  I don't plan on getting a CCW (I don't think I'm a good enough shot to CCW yet).  Does PA have any laws concerning firearms on rented property?
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 9:25:46 PM EDT
[#1]
Laws in which PA is more stringent than federal requirements:

All handgun sales require a background check, even between two state residents.
Carriage of loaded weapons in an automobile is prohibited without a CCW.   Carriage of a loaded long-arm is illegal in an automobile under any circumstances (game laws).

If you live on the property, its considered your residence for the purposes of keeping and bearing arms, just like a hotel room, trailer, or campsite.   That means you can load, and carry to your heart's content.

Oh yeah...and one more thing.  Carrying a concealed weapon is about a lot more than hitting a target.   You might find it easier to get the lisence first, and then take some courses specifically guaranteed towards CCW.  Many of these courses require that you have a CCW or proof of no criminal history.   So you might as well get it.  In PA, it's like, $20.  

Welcome to Pittsburgh!  Now repeat after me:

"Yinz"
"Nebby"
"Go Stillers!"
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 6:55:40 AM EDT
[#2]
You may like it here enough to stay.
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 8:42:00 AM EDT
[#3]
Another thing I forgot to ask--

Are there any good places to shoot rifle in the area?

Can anyone recommend a good FFL who does transfers for a reasonable fee?
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 10:03:35 AM EDT
[#4]
What part of Pgh. are you moving to? There are quite a few ranges around. I recommend Gunrunners of PA for your transfers, he is a member here also.
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 1:36:21 PM EDT
[#5]
Here in PA, whether you own some guns or not - if you show-up to work late, you better bring the boss a large coffee!
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 8:52:52 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Here in PA, whether you own some guns or not - if you show-up to work late, you better bring the boss a large coffee!

?????
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 9:13:09 PM EDT
[#7]
where about you moving too.  pitt or around pitt
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 2:21:27 PM EDT
[#8]
I work Downtown on the edge of the Strip District if  you  need any help with anything downtown shoot me  a pm. It's nice  i have maps of all the city neighborhoods and can help you find pretty much anything......
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 2:24:11 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
I work Downtown on the edge of the Strip District if  you  need any help with anything downtown shoot me  a pm. It's nice  i have maps of all the city neighborhoods and can help you find pretty much anything......

He will also need maps of what neighborhoods to stay away from.......
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 7:15:04 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
where about you moving too.  pitt or around pitt

Squirrel Hill, commuting to West Mifflin
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 4:58:15 AM EDT
[#11]
i'm a zone 4 (squirell hill station) popo.  just give me your guns for safe keepin.  at the least give me your address, i'll drive by a 2,3,4,5,6am with lights and siern to make sure your safe.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 2:34:51 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
i'm a zone 4 (squirell hill station) popo.  just give me your guns for safe keepin.  at the least give me your address, i'll drive by a 2,3,4,5,6am with lights and siern to make sure your safe.

The impression I got was that Squirrel Hill was a good area. Was I wrong?
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 6:25:13 PM EDT
[#13]
it's a good area.  hope you like jewish people, squirrel hill has a huge jewish population.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 6:31:03 PM EDT
[#14]

i'll drive by a 2,3,4,5,6am with lights and siern to make sure your safe.

LOL!  Funniest thing I've seen all week.  Make sure to stop outside his place and shine your spotlight in his windows.  Checking for break-in attempts, can't be too thorough, right?  

You'll love Pittsburgh.  Great city.  I'm just east of the 'Burgh in Monroeville.

We'll have to try to do a Pittsburgh-area get together.

OH - IMPORTANT!

"Who dey?"

"WE DAY!"
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 8:11:00 AM EDT
[#15]
I moved here from Maryland in 1999....the only laws that are worse here are the TAX LAWS!
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 4:17:48 PM EDT
[#16]
In other words:

Start stocking up on "Banned in Maryland Magazines"!

If you don't own a C-Mag before the month is over it had better be for a reason other than financial.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 4:50:36 PM EDT
[#17]
Welcome to PA even if is a short stay.
Enjoying the weather????????

Yes I'm the 9supercomp formally from MD.

Give me a shout some time. I'm about an hour or so East of ya.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 4:00:06 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
it's a good area.  hope you like jewish people, squirrel hill has a huge jewish population.

Be careful. Eating with Jews leads to drinking with the Irish!

Nlorth Hills. IM me or check out the MSC sked on this forum.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 7:23:26 PM EDT
[#19]
noth hills as well, and i go to Pitt so im usually in your area four days a week
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 10:18:22 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Be careful. Eating with Jews leads to drinking with the Irish!

You can drink with the Irish but you can't drink like the Irish.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top