Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/26/2006 7:18:00 PM EDT
I have a question:  state laws usually make one a resident after 30-90 days (or after one can present various utility bills).  How does this work for the purposes of firearms tranfers?

I've moved back, and I have a FL driver's lisence and CCW.  I also have a PA CCW (given me as a resident, and not yet expired).  I'm holding off getting a PA's driver's lisence until my FL car registration expires.

So, my question is, can I legally buy firearms in this state after living here for 30 days, privately or otherwise?

Link Posted: 1/27/2006 3:23:07 AM EDT
[#1]
IIRC, PA requires that you obtain a PA license within 30 days of your new residency...allowing your PA reg to expire is probably not an option.  Although, it would take a hard-nosed SOB having a bad day to give you shit about it.

Sorry I can't help you on the transfer.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 4:34:36 PM EDT
[#2]
You gonna stay here a while ?
That white stuff is snow in case you forgot.

Yup - supposed to get your PA DL within 30 days.
You need to show more proof of ID and residency nowadays. ( Fatherland Homeland Security idea)

www.dmv.state.pa.us/new_residents/driver_license.shtml

Go get it - takes 15 minutes not counting the line.

With your PA DL in Hand , you may now purchase any Pistol , rifle, or shotgun
your little heart desires.

Concerning the PA Carry License you still have.

Before your 5 years are up , make sure there will be no "difficulty" getting your renewal.
Probably should tell the Sherrif if you "changed counties"
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 4:35:58 PM EDT
[#3]
I think transfer goes by the date on your DL. 90 days if I am correct.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 4:43:37 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I think transfer goes by the date on your DL. 90 days if I am correct.

The Issue date on the DL    DOES NOT Equal/Prove your Date of Residency

Also there is no Federal Law on period of Residency for CITIZENS (only for Aliens)

Dont ask Dont tell
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 5:40:48 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks.  Looks like the website says 60 days, not 30.  I guess it'll be 'till then though.   Once I get my PA DL do I need to register my car right off as well?

Also....are you saying that I can't work an FFL transfer until 90 days after the day on my DL?
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 5:59:17 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Thanks.  Looks like the website says 60 days, not 30.  I guess it'll be 'till then though.   Once I get my PA DL do I need to register my car right off as well?

Also....are you saying that I can't work an FFL transfer until 90 days after the day on my DL?

=================
HOW TO REGISTER AND TITLE YOUR VEHICLE IN PA -

www.dmv.state.pa.us/new_residents/motor_vehicle.shtml
=======================

HOW TO BUY A GUN IN PA.

DAY 1 - Get PA Drivers License

Day 2 - Go to Gunshop and buy Gun

I moved from NY to PA -  Trust me
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 4:06:38 AM EDT
[#7]
Shoot I didn't even wait a day.
Changed my DL in the morning and right after lunch bought two handguns without any delay.
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 9:15:22 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Shoot I didn't even wait a day.
Changed my DL in the morning and right after lunch bought two handguns without any delay.

You have it right. A few weeks ago a guy came into my gun shop and did the same thing. New DL in morning, moved here from VA, walked out with new Glock in the afternoon. Check went through okay and haven't heard anything from PSP since so he is good to go.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 12:01:27 AM EDT
[#9]
I'm a non-resident living in PA for much of the year.  You are in the clear for longguns after 90 days I believe.  FFL told me I would need a "PA state-issued ID" for pistols so I would be curious as to whether a CCW covered that.  Hell, you're in a state database somewhere.  

But in your case, getting a PA DL would be best, no?

- BG
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top