Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/23/2006 4:03:29 PM EDT
I'm taking the girlfriend to the Northeast in April.  The main reason is to take her to a couple of Yankee games (she grew up in New Jersey).  However, I want to get down to Philadelphia, mainly to tour the USS New Jersey in Camden, NJ.  I feel like I should at least stop by Independence Hall.  Any good tips on that?  How about what else to see in the eastern half of the state.  I know about "Amish Country" but is it worth seeing?  What else should I really go see?  I'm a reasonably well-travelled Texan but I've not been up there much.  
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 4:42:59 PM EDT
[#1]
Really I guess it mainly depends on what kind of visits you want to make....ie: Historical, Romantic, Fun, Depressing, etc etc.

Lots of Battlefields in PA
Lots of Romantic Places

Wanna see Jimmy Stewarts mansion/museum/damn near anything else you can imagine about him? Yup we got that too.

Distance you are willing to travel will affect choices as well.
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 6:25:50 AM EDT
[#2]
Valley Forge and the Brandywine battlefield are fairly close to Philly. Longwood Gardens is close to Brandywine,It's a Dupont estate with gardens ,fountains and light/water displays.
Gettysburg is a must see but will be a couple hour drive, but well worth it IMO
YMMV
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 7:49:32 AM EDT
[#3]
If you like unusual things, check out the Mutter Museum, and the Bodyworlds exhibit at the Franklin Institute
www.collphyphil.org/muttpg1.shtml
sln.fi.edu/bodyworlds/
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 4:00:48 PM EDT
[#4]
If you like history even a little bit, Philly is great way to spent a day. Much to see about when our country started. The park rangers at Indy Hall, Liberty Bell, Betsy Ross house, etc. are very knowledgeable and will will your head with great info. The new Constitution Center is a must see and is actually very moving. Most main attractions are within a stones throw to each other.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 3:17:56 AM EDT
[#5]
The ZIPPO Factory!

www.zippo.com/main.aspx?referral=&referralURL=

Really , they have a museum/visitor center.

Link Posted: 1/27/2006 6:01:50 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I know about "Amish Country" but is it worth seeing?  

Not really--unless you like being the quintessential tourist. It's very pretty farmland but the "see the Amish" tourist stuff is pure shit.

If, however, you do get up this way, make it a point to stop in at Country Knives. No bargains to be had there but it's a fun store to browse if you like things with sharp edges.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 11:39:36 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I know about "Amish Country" but is it worth seeing?  

Not really--unless you like being the quintessential tourist. It's very pretty farmland but the "see the Amish" tourist stuff is pure shit.

If, however, you do get up this way, make it a point to stop in at Country Knives. No bargains to be had there but it's a fun store to browse if you like things with sharp edges.

Thanks.  I may pass through, if anything.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 3:56:53 AM EDT
[#8]
Ride the  duck.  It is an amphibious tour bus. It goes through philadelphia streets and then down the river.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 7:16:23 AM EDT
[#9]
Don't forget about Hershey Park...

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm...

Chocolate !
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 4:20:49 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Don't forget about Hershey Park...

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm...

Chocolate !

You forgot the Link!
Hershey Park

Which, by the way, is just down the road from road from where I work.

In fact; it's a longer drive to go home from where I work than it is to go to Hershey Park!
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 2:33:33 AM EDT
[#11]
Will you be staying in Philadelphia?  

Gary
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top