Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/2/2006 4:52:22 PM EDT
Anyone have experience getting SBR signatures in Mont county? Who is the CLEO? Will they sign or did you need to go to DA or Judge?

thanks
jj
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 7:41:04 AM EDT
[#1]
The sheriff won't sign - who is your local PD?
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 7:43:13 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
The sheriff won't sign - who is your local PD?

Horsham - if CLEO for montgomery county won't sign, anyone have any suggestions
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 6:27:40 PM EDT
[#3]
articles of incorporation?

I'd say call horsham PD and ask.   You could try lower moreland PD, the chief is a realy nice guy.

Link Posted: 1/3/2006 6:49:29 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
articles of incorporation?

I'd say call horsham PD and ask.   You could try lower moreland PD, the chief is a realy nice guy.

I'm lucky in that I have an s-corp  for my consulting business, I'd prefer to not tie the assest to the corp, then again it appears that it may be the path of least resistance. I can hear my accountant now "this has what to do with computer consulting"
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 8:40:42 AM EDT
[#5]
Ask your local PD.   Most people would steer you towards getting a local signoff (unless local LE is handled by the state police, which would be a dead end) before going to the sheriff, in any case.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 9:36:51 PM EDT
[#6]
I asked Upper Morelands chief, and he said he would. I thought you had to get it from your local chief?
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 8:33:18 AM EDT
[#7]
The CLEO provision of the 1934 NFA law is honestly rendered irrelevent with the advent of NCIC and other such computer data bases.  Remember the original intent was to keep full auto weapons out of the hands of mobsters.  Prior to 1934 a full auto Thompson or BAR could be purchaced at your local hardware store.

The CLEO sign off was instituted to insure no known criminals would have access to these weapons.  In those days, who better to know who the criminals were than the CLEO? The CLEO must have juristication over you in your residence.  Here are some obvious examples of what constitutes a CLEO in the eyes of ATF:

1. Your Local Chief of Police
2. Your County Sherrif
3. Your County DA
4. Your County Common Please Judge <note District Justices do not hear felony cases and thus don't count>
5.  Your State Police Barracks Commander

I think ATF would take a dim view of an applicant submitting an application where the CLEO did not have juristication over where the applicant resided.  It would be wise to consult an attorney specializing in NFA procedures.  We have someone local named Phil Kline who would be happy to help.  

Sadly, a local Chief can not be compelled to sign a Form 4. He need not give a reason and is protected oddly enough by the 10th ammendment of the US Constitution in his refusal to sign.  Sadly, if you read the sign off statement carefully, it would seem to require the CLEO to have a bonafide reason NOT to sign.  The statement speaks to the fact that the CLEO must have a reason to believe the applicant will use the weapon in a manner OTHER than the lawful purpose stated in the application.

Remember also that the $200 tax stamp was a cost prohibative fee for all but the wealthest folks back in 1934.  If the tax stamp costs were indexed for inflation, the current cost of the stamp would be $2750.80 (2003 dollars).  Bet there wouldn't be too many short barreled rifles floating around at that price.

Also remember that prior to 1986, a DIAS would sell for $50.00.  A full blown M16A1 for a little over the cost of an AR15.  It is only recently that weve seen MG prices simply sky rocket to unaffordable prices.

Oh well enough from me....

Carry On,
Gary

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top