Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/22/2005 6:31:26 PM EDT
I have friends living there and we are considering purchasing a home there also. Is it a "gun friendly" area - SBRs, Select Fire Weapons, etc.???

Thanks for ...
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 11:23:08 AM EDT
[#1]
I have no personal knowledge of the area, but come on...this is PA!  It is world's away from the PRNJ!

Seriously, though, I hope you get some good info.  Here's your first welcome to PA.
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 12:58:16 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
I have no personal knowledge of the area, but come on...this is PA!  It is world's away from the PRNJ!

Seriously, though, I hope you get some good info.  Here's your first welcome to PA.

Thank you - this is like a sanity check. If too many "libs" invade from NJ/NJ - then the quality of local judges and such goes down and "rights" change to priveldges, if you know what I mean.

Thanks.
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 5:38:24 PM EDT
[#3]
          I grew up in Hawley, the town is both in Wayne and Pike County.  Pike County is not too bad.  Like you said many Jersey and New York People move up and LOVE the country, but not the residents or the lifestyle- hunting and shooting.  If you have kids, you want a house in Wallenpaupack School District.   The Football Team sucks but the academic program is very good.  Delaware Valley has too many New York and Jersey problem children.  

Taxes are low compared to NJ.  If you are still planning on working where you do now, drive it during a workday.  The ride along 80 or 84 is easy on Saturdays and Sundays and seems doable, but if don't give yourself an extra hour or more on a weekday, you will be late.  Remember 80 and 84 only have two lanes each way and they fill up quick, add an accident and you might as well turn off you engine and wait.  

Deer are thick in the developments because all of the city folk LOVE the deer-"how can you shoot such graceful creatures?"   They don't want anyone shooting them or let their precious little children see such violence.  Sorry I guess I am a little jaded.  I grew up near 400 acres of some of the best deer habitat only to see a development come up and now the deer over populate the place and bodies of roadkill are everywhere.  Don't get me started on the bear...

I have 80 acres in Northern Wayne County that I use for hunting and shooting.  No Neighbors yet...

It is a great place to grow up.  No jobs once you are grown, but kids should love it as long as you or your wife are willing to drive to town to get the kids involved in things.  Baseball is big in summer and basketball in the winter as well as skiing, tubing and sledding.  

I hope this helps your answer.  By the way CCW is a breeze once you move up full time, but it will do you no good in NJ or NY where you need it.

I would live there but the money is down in the Philly area and my wife is CA native so the weather is a bit extreme for her.

Geiger 1 Sends
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 4:49:00 AM EDT
[#4]
Thank you.

No "school" children here, just me and Mrs.

I have met some of the over breeding in HEMLOCK FARMS where my friends live - sorry looking animals skin and bones in SUMMER.

City people can be so cruel with their limited experience of nature. That is reason I ask about "other toys" and the application for same.

Link Posted: 12/24/2005 5:43:34 PM EDT
[#5]
No Problem.  If want to shoot in your backyard, get away from the developments. Especially Hemlock Farms.   Look for at least 10-15 acres.  Then you may be able to shoot in your yard.  
SBR and Full Auto are legal in PA.he
You can not shoot full auto at the State Ranges.  They are for hunting rifles only.  There is a three-five round limit on rifles and 6 rounds for pistols.  Some of the Game Wardens are real pricks about it too.  Remember they have more power than the Police if they think you are a poacher.  They can travel at will on private property and I have been told they can look in your house, shed or barn without your permission if they think you killed one of the Kings deer without permission.

Time to return to lurker status. Damn two posts in two days!  I might break 100 in a year or two at this rate. Geiger1 Sends
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 4:12:57 PM EDT
[#6]
My family has always had a house on Wallenpaupack so I know the area. One good thing about Pike Co is that a full 1/3 of it is either state gamelands or state forest so it is never gonna be developed. The bad thing is it is one of the fastest growing (population wise) counties in the state. Lots of bedroom communities springing up with people who commute to NYC or north jersy  to work.
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 4:38:31 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
My family has always had a house on Wallenpaupack so I know the area. One good thing about Pike Co is that a full 1/3 of it is either state gamelands or state forest so it is never gonna be developed. The bad thing is it is one of the fastest growing (population wise) counties in the state. Lots of bedroom communities springing up with people who commute to NYC or north jersy  to work.

Ergo my question: could be PRIME area for some level of anti-gun mentality and/or legislation. I guess only a local from Pike would have his finger on this.

Thanks.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top