Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/20/2005 8:02:32 PM EDT
I was just wondering what the PA handgun laws are.  I'm 19, own 2 shotguns and 1 AR15 and I always thought that you had to be 21 to purchase a handgun and get a CCW permit in PA.  A couple days ago someone IMed me and said you can own a handgun at 18 just as long as it is gifted to you or you purchase it from a private seller.  I was just wondering if someone could help me out because I tried reading the actual PA gun laws but I don't speak lawyer and I want a handgun.  
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 6:47:30 AM EDT
[#1]
You cannot CCW until 21.  You can do the following:

You can have it gifted to you.  
Get a sportsman's carry permit at 16 which will allow you to carry a pistol while fishing.
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 12:24:35 PM EDT
[#2]
i'm 20 and own 5 handguns.  All of them were "Gifts" from dad for various occasions.  Happy birthday, happy hanukkah, happy 17th of june

About the sportsmans carry permit, only 18+, not 16 and only while engaged in certain activities.

I suggest you have your dad buy it for you then go out and get training because before you know it, you'll be elegible for the permit.
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 5:58:56 PM EDT
[#3]
At 18 you can sign-up for the ACT 235 Lethal Weapon training course through the State Police.  Get licensed as an armed guard and carry then.  The Act 120 police training may also be 18 but I'm not sure.
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 8:24:29 PM EDT
[#4]
So I could go to the range, go fishing, and keep it in my trunk when I'm driving but can't carry it around in public?
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 8:39:04 PM EDT
[#5]
you could only have it in your trunk if you were enroute or returning from shooting, fishing, etc.  even then it would have to be unloaded with the ammunition stored seperately in the trunk.
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 8:49:26 PM EDT
[#6]
Thats what I do anyway with my rfiles; keep them unloaded in the trunk and the ammo in one of those fireproof hand held safe things.  Cops in Bucks county are dicks, especially when you're young like I am.  

One more question, can I (legally) buy a used handgun from someone in another state or does it have to be gifted to me?  
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 9:29:19 PM EDT
[#7]
FTF is same state only.  In PA it has to go through an FFL.  Although you can legally do it, most FFL's won't do it because they are ignorant of the law.

If you get caught with a loaded rifle in your trunk the worst you can get is a fine (summary offense of the 4th or 5th degree under title 34).  Handguns are classified differently, however, under title 18 and can carry a 3rd degree felony charge for having a loaded handgun in your vehicle without a permit.
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 9:13:15 AM EDT
[#8]
I really need to get my CCW.  I'm gonna head down to sherriffs office and get the infos tomorrow.

How long does it take for those papers to go through usually?
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 1:47:27 PM EDT
[#9]
my father had his ready to be picked up 8 days after he applied.  Un less you're in philly, it goes pretty quick.
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 4:35:10 PM EDT
[#10]
You can not CCW until you are 21.

Act 235 only allows you to carry a weapon while going directly to or from work and while working. You can not carry for any other reason.

You can be Act 120 certified at the age of 18, however you still can not legally buy a handgun until you are 21.

You can be 18 years of age and "own" a handgun because it was either gifted to you, or passed on to you.

All handgun sales must go through a FFL.

§6111. Sale or transfer of firearms.
(c) Duty of other persons.—Any person who is not a licensed importer, manufacturer or dealer and who desires to sell or transfer a firearm to another unlicensed person shall do so only upon the place of business of a licensed importer, manufacturer, dealer or county sheriff’s office, the latter of whom shall follow the procedure set forth in this section as if he were the seller of the firearm. The provisions of this section shall not apply to transfers between spouses or to transfers between a parent and child or to transfers between grandparent and grandchild.  
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 5:16:28 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
I really need to get my CCW.  I'm gonna head down to sherriffs office and get the infos tomorrow.

it all depends on what county you live in, it could take anywhere from 15minutes to a few weeks.

If you live in philly it should take about 2 weeks
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 7:00:14 PM EDT
[#12]
I've heared some people in philly say it takes longer than the mandatory 45 day maximum.  If you bring it up their response is "sue us"
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 8:08:11 PM EDT
[#13]
I guess I'm just going to have to wait another year and a few months until I turn 21 to buy a 1911 because my Dad isn't down with me owning any more guns.  
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 4:45:43 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
I've heared some people in philly say it takes longer than the mandatory 45 day maximum.  If you bring it up their response is "sue us"

a while ago it was taking more than 45 days but for the past year they have been taking about 2 weeks.
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 5:13:52 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
I guess I'm just going to have to wait another year and a few months until I turn 21 to buy a 1911 because my Dad isn't down with me owning any more guns.  

That is also the Fed's stance as well.

You have to be at least 21 in order to buy handguns or its ammo.

Sorry about that.
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 8:35:14 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

a while ago it was taking more than 45 days but for the past year they have been taking about 2 weeks.

well, guess someone took them up on the offer to sue.
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 10:09:49 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

it all depends on what county you live in, it could take anywhere from 15minutes to a few weeks.

If you live in philly it should take about 2 weeks

My stay in the courthouse (Beaver County) was about 40 minutes and that includes getting searched by a Deputy (metal detector went off for some reason) trying to find the right office, filling the form out, waiting for the background check, getting my picture taken, printing the license up and then handing it to me.
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 2:23:24 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

well, guess someone took them up on the offer to sue.

This is the first I am hearing about them being sued for it, what's the story?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top