Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/8/2005 2:27:50 PM EDT
My range got closed down.  Says it's temporary but it's indefinate.  Some fucktard managed to launch a round over the huge backstop on sunday and it hit a tree next to someones house while the guy was outside with his kids.  Police report was filed, I no longer have a range to go to.

Here's what i'm looking for optimally:
-Ability to draw from holster (instant DQ if i can't)
-Ability to shoot on the move (even if only when it's not busy, i come on weekdays during working hours)
-Ability to engage multiple targets (even if only when not busy)
-No bullshit rules (magazine limits, cap on rate of fire, ammo brand restrictions) or no one around to enforce said rules.
-Philadelphia area (gas is expensive, try and keep it within 45 minutes)
-Inexpensive Membership (not much more than $100-150 for the year...was paying $20 a year)

I understand that finding another range where i can legitimately train around philly is probably hopeless. Humor me. I don't care if it's a grassy field with a dirt mound at one end and the only reason you can do the above things is because no one is ever around. That's what i used to have and I was content.
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 4:50:18 PM EDT
[#1]
we are looking for the exact same range with the exact same specifications
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 6:35:41 PM EDT
[#2]
Unless things have changed in PA try Fantasy Land.
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 6:47:34 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Unless things have changed in PA try Fantasy Land.

No shit mike, welcome back.
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 5:47:43 AM EDT
[#4]
Not sure about the moving stuff but you can try Water&Wings.  They are in Quackertown, and have ranges out to 500 meters.  Hopefully that is not the one that was closed down.  
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 6:54:55 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Not sure about the moving stuff but you can try Water&Wings.  They are in Quackertown, and have ranges out to 500 meters.  Hopefully that is not the one that was closed down.  

yeah, I think thats going to be your best bet to hit most of your needs

What range did you used to go to?  I didn't know a range like you mentioned existed in the Philly area.
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 1:20:04 PM EDT
[#6]
Somebody has to know somewhere that allows shooting while moving, drawing from holster, multiple targets ect...

There has to some public land somewhere where you can shoot

Somebody please help us out!

clubsoda, if you find somewhere please let me know and if I find something I will let you know
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 4:27:54 PM EDT
[#7]
check out the other topic..."lets try this again, "........
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 6:05:33 PM EDT
[#8]
little place called swamp creek RGC.  Just an open field with a big backstop that kinda wraps around past the 25 yard line so you can get up close and have a good 120 degree field of fire.  The guys there are the sportsman variety.  Come to sight in their deer rifles on the weekends or bust some clays.  We come on weekday mornings so no one's around to bother us.

Been to water and wings before.  They got really expensive recently.  Movement is also kind of a critical part of my training.
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 11:00:29 PM EDT
[#9]
Langhorne Rod and Gun

www.lrgc.org/

They offer everything you listed except the drawing and movement requirements. HOWEVER most of the times when I go I'm the only person there. So then I do whatever I want. If you go alot on weekdays during the day you will probabley be the only one there most of the time.

Membership is $150 a year plus a one time $150 initiation fee. Must do 8 hours a year of work at the club also.

Club is about 15 miles north of Philly.

Pistol/22 covered range out to 50 yds. Rifle out to 200 yds.
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 9:59:57 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
little place called swamp creek RGC.  Just an open field with a big backstop that kinda wraps around past the 25 yard line so you can get up close and have a good 120 degree field of fire.  The guys there are the sportsman variety.  Come to sight in their deer rifles on the weekends or bust some clays.  We come on weekday mornings so no one's around to bother us.

Been to water and wings before.  They got really expensive recently.  Movement is also kind of a critical part of my training.

why can't you go to swamp creek?  That's the kind of place I have been looking for
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 11:14:56 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

why can't you go to swamp creek?  That's the kind of place I have been looking for

Because that's the place that just got shut down due to afforementioned fucktard.
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 4:36:54 PM EDT
[#12]

Because that's the place that just got shut down due to afforementioned fucktard.

how did I know you were going to say that?
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 5:29:59 PM EDT
[#13]
Swamp creek has had problems in the past with their range fan and neighboring properties.   I am surprised it too this long to get shut down really.  That range is about 3 miles from my shop and I have seen that area develop so fast over the last 10 years that it makes me sick.  The intersection that the range property is near is going to be developed in a BIG way over the next couple years.  That is going to put pressure on the facility even more.  I have never been a member there as I belong to other clubs that cater more to national match course shooting, but I am still sad to see it in trouble none the less.

John
Seneca Arms Co
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 7:03:39 PM EDT
[#14]
any range that gets closed is sad. and all this developing sucks. i hate it.
if it was up to the builders they would just pave and build on every inch of fn soil.
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 9:04:20 PM EDT
[#15]
I am a member at Homlsburg fish and game; we have some rules like that, but no one around to enforce em.  I like it a lot over there, and we are looking for new members all the time.  We are in between the police academy and the water works on State Rd.  I usually go during the work day and have the entire place to myself, very enjoyable.  The address is 5100 Pennypack St. Philadelphia PA.  Send me an email or something.
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 11:16:07 PM EDT
[#16]
I'll have to check out holmsburg.  Sounds familliar...i think my drivers education instructor in high school was a member there.  Former cop.  Nice guy.

Good location too.  I'm in chester so about 30-40 minutes up 95, my shooting buddy is in Northern Liberties so even closer for him.

No one there on weekdays is good
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 12:33:07 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
I am a member at Homlsburg fish and game; we have some rules like that, but no one around to enforce em.  I like it a lot over there, and we are looking for new members all the time.  We are in between the police academy and the water works on State Rd.  I usually go during the work day and have the entire place to myself, very enjoyable.  The address is 5100 Pennypack St. Philadelphia PA.  Send me an email or something.

Do you draw from a holster and CQB drills when you go there?
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 1:30:49 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Do you draw from a holster and CQB drills when you go there?

If no one is there, who can stop you?  If that's exactly what you do when you get there we can start a little underground tactical shooter club.
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 8:38:18 PM EDT
[#19]
There are some old retired guys there sometimes during the day, and the prison guards train there as well, so I assume you can shoot from the holster.  And since it is next door to the police academy, and bomb squad, there is noise coming from there all the time so it shouldn’t arouse suspension.  I personally shoot a lot of skeet/trap and rifle.  There probably is some rules about certain types of shooting, but for instance there is a one shot load limit on the rifle range apparently, but I have not been told other wise when I unload my 30 rd AR-15 mag.  I have a Para ord 1911 and I would be interested in learning some tactical shooting.  There is good poker there  on Wednesday nights as well.
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 9:44:33 PM EDT
[#20]
can you bring me in as a guest to see the place?  I'm free tuesdays and thursdays.  I'll bring my stuff.  Bring your carry piece and a holster.  we'll go over some stuff and see if we arouse any suspicion.

Just need to know if the pistol range has lanes or is open.  that's a big factor with latteral movement.
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 7:51:54 AM EDT
[#21]
so they shut down your range huh.

well you're always welcome at my place, but its a bit of a drive.

ps, clubsoda I got a new gun, you and Aaron are gonna have to come out and do a little blastin.
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 9:05:30 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
so they shut down your range huh.

well you're always welcome at my place, but its a bit of a drive.

ps, clubsoda I got a new gun, you and Aaron are gonna have to come out and do a little blastin.

any  chance that invitation would be welcomed to myself as well?
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 9:06:58 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
can you bring me in as a guest to see the place?  I'm free tuesdays and thursdays.  I'll bring my stuff.  Bring your carry piece and a holster.  we'll go over some stuff and see if we arouse any suspicion.

Just need to know if the pistol range has lanes or is open.  that's a big factor with latteral movement.

I'd be more than happy to check it out with you guys, I can usally get free when ever I need to
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 9:16:52 AM EDT
[#24]
sure come on out and shoot.
me and club have shot together a bit.

I have to tell you though, I live in centre county so its QUITE a bit of a drive
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 12:36:12 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

I have to tell you though, I live in centre county so its QUITE a bit of a drive

at this point I'm willing to drive as far as I have to, just let me know when

I really appreciate it!!!
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 1:01:52 PM EDT
[#26]
Everything you want and then some is located here www.pmsconline.com.

Except it is in Pittsburgh
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 2:05:06 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

fslflint has the perfect place to shoot.  He lives 4 miles from his mailbox up a dirt andgravel road.  Shale pit in the valley about a mile away.  No neighbors close enough to matter.  Worth the 3.5 hour drive.  you can shoot about 500 yards over the valley.  ATV ride is almost as fun as the shooting.

So, zach, what did you get?
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 2:06:58 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

fslflint has the perfect place to shoot.  He lives 4 miles from his mailbox up a dirt andgravel road.  Shale pit in the valley about a mile away.  No neighbors close enough to matter.  Worth the 3.5 hour drive.  you can shoot about 500 yards over the valley.  ATV ride is almost as fun as the shooting.

So, zach, what did you get?

if you want to go over there together one of these days let me know
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 5:21:19 PM EDT
[#29]
i'll see what gas prices do in the next month or so.
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 5:21:30 AM EDT
[#30]
saturday and sunday afternoon is open for me.
where club is talking about is actually my parents house, but its never a problem to just go up and shoot. the shale pit is fun because it has about 220 degrees worth of backstops.

club, I think I told you about the shotgun I got. but heres a photochop picture, it gives you a basic idea anyways. I'll try to get some real pictures of it in the next couple days but I might have to wait until I get the new stock on it.

img.villagephotos.com/p/2005-1/935941/finnishedshotty.JPG
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 7:30:57 PM EDT
[#31]
nice shotty.
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 1:04:49 PM EDT
[#32]
Still looking for a range.  Holmsburg was disappointing for the same reason most ranges around here are disappointing.  We seriously need a tactical shooting range around here.  We should all become members at an area club then sieze control through sheer numbers and vote a change to all the rules.  If the bullseye shooters don't like it they can leave. (god knows there's enough other places for them to shoot)

Holmsburg said no to these:
-Ability to draw from holster
-Ability to shoot on the move (even if only when it's not busy, i come on weekdays during working hours)

They didn't totally ban this stuff, they allow the prison guards to do CQB stuff but they don't allow the regular membership to do it despite my extensive training, instructor certs and $1,000,000 NRA instructor liability insurance.  This kinda pisses me off.

Further BS rules:
-Lead bullets only on indoor range (no glocks).

Any LPRGC members around able to give me info on their range?
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 2:08:18 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
 If the bullseye shooters don't like it they can leave. (god knows there's enough other places for them to shoot)

Well I am one of those "bullseye shooters".  Not with a pistol, but NRA highpower and that is a decimal target none the less.  Do me a favor, when you try your take over  one of our local ranges, with all your extensive training and all, stay away from my clubs.  It is the spray and pray horses ass types that shut our clubs down.

BTW, I actually have a list of shooting credentials.
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 5:49:33 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
Still looking for a range.  Holmsburg was disappointing for the same reason most ranges around here are disappointing.  We seriously need a tactical shooting range around here.  We should all become members at an area club then sieze control through sheer numbers and vote a change to all the rules.  If the bullseye shooters don't like it they can leave. (god knows there's enough other places for them to shoot)

Holmsburg said no to these:
-Ability to draw from holster

They didn't totally ban this stuff, they allow the prison guards to do CQB stuff but they don't allow the regular membership to do it despite my extensive training, instructor certs and $1,000,000 NRA instructor liability insurance.  This kinda pisses me off.

Further BS rules:
-Lead bullets only on indoor range (no glocks).

Any LPRGC members around able to give me info on their range?

I am not a member at LPRGC but I do shoot IDPA there.  I was going to join there so I asked around to other members what it was like there.  For the most part you can not draw and move.  If you take all 3 of their tyraining classes whiuch are always booked up and pretty hard to get into then you are allowed to draw from a holster.

This info is not first hand knowledge but it is from members there that I trust
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 9:51:02 PM EDT
[#35]
I think I have enough certs for them to waive their class requirement unless they want me to, well, teach it.

Ask your friends if there's anything to stop you from setting up some IDPA targets on their IDPA range while no one is around.
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 5:17:37 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
I think I have enough certs for them to waive their class requirement unless they want me to, well, teach it.

Ask your friends if there's anything to stop you from setting up some IDPA targets on their IDPA range while no one is around.

I have an IDPA match their this Sat, I'm pretty sure I am going to go to it and I will ask them then

ETA:  I just realized that the IDPA match for this month was this past saturday and I missed it for some reason I thought it was this upcoming Sat.  I will ask at the next match but it wont be for almost another month..
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top