Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/4/2005 1:47:35 PM EDT
Picked up this news from The Morning Call. I didn't receive a  renewal notice, but kept track of it and renewed at 60 days. The good news ? New permit arrived in 8 days!!  

Gun permit notices may be late
Renewal delay caused by computer failure, says sheriff.

By Hal Marcovitz
Of The Morning Call

Gun owners in Bucks County would do well to check their permits — they may have expired.

Sheriff Edward J. Donnelly said Monday that renewal notices have been mailed out late to some of Bucks County's 5,000 gun permit holders. Donnelly said the problem was caused by a computer breakdown.

The sheriff said he believes that no more than a few dozen renewal notices went out late, but an official from a Lower Bucks gun club said he thinks the problem may be more widespread.

Andrew E. Barniskis, legislative chairman for the Falls Township Rifle and Pistol Association, said he became aware of the late renewal notices more than a year ago and brought the problem to Donnelly's attention. Donnelly assured him the problem would be fixed, Barniskis said, but in June his own renewal notice failed to arrive on time.

''That's when I decided to make an issue out of it,'' said Barniskis. ''I didn't get my renewal notice and that's a violation of the law.''

According to Barniskis, the sheriff's office is obligated under law to send out renewal notices to gun owners 60 days prior to the expiration of their permits to carry concealed weapons. Under law, gun permits must be renewed every five years.

Once a gun owner receives a renewal notice, he must complete the application and physically bring it to the sheriff's office in the Bucks County Courthouse in Doylestown or to a county satellite office along with his driver's license. The photograph is photocopied from the driver's license and placed on the new permit. The fee for the renewal is $19.

Barniskis said a gun owner who carries a firearm with an expired permit is subject to prosecution. In addition, Barniskis said, a conviction makes a person ineligible to obtain a gun permit.

''It's a serious thing,'' said Barniskis. ''You lose the right to carry a gun.''

Donnelly insisted the problem cropped up only two months ago when a computer in his office failed. Donnelly said he has plans to obtain a new computer and expects the renewal notices to be sent out automatically in a few weeks. In the meantime, he said, staff members have been issuing the renewals by hand.

''The computer broke down,'' said Donnelly. ''Did we miss some people? I'm sure we did.''

Donnelly said that if gun owners are truly responsible, they should be keeping an eye on their permits and know when they are due to expire and take steps to renew them on their own if they fail to receive notices from his office.

First Assistant District Attorney David Zellis said a person who carries a gun without a valid permit faces a penalty of up to five years in prison and a $10,000 fine, although the law permits a grace period of six months after the permit expires. He added that the failure of the sheriff to send out the renewal notice is no defense.

''Just because they didn't get the renewal doesn't mean they aren't responsible for actively renewing their licenses,'' Zellis said.

Barniskis said $1.50 of the $19 fee for the permit is dedicated to the cost of sending out the renewal. Therefore, Barniskis said, Donnelly has a responsibility to refund $1.50 to every gun owner who did not receive a renewal.

''People who paid a total of $19 and didn't get their renewal notice didn't get what they paid for and they are entitled to a refund,'' said Barniskis.

Donnelly said he has no intentions to offer refunds.

''If you got your permit five years ago, you should know when to renew,'' said the sheriff.

Link Posted: 8/4/2005 2:24:06 PM EDT
[#1]

Donnelly said he has no intentions to offer refunds.

''If you got your permit five years ago, you should know when to renew,'' said the sheriff.

I double dog dare someone who did not get a renewal notice AND A REFUND to file theft of services charges against  the JBT.   You paid for a service and did not get it and the oppsite party refuses to make good
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 4:28:49 PM EDT
[#2]
I am simply happy being one of the 5000. Being raised in NJ, the idea that I would be able to carry had a LOT to do with moving here. I think I have about a year or so left on my current permit....now I gotta go take a look.
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 5:08:48 PM EDT
[#3]
I've had a carry permit from Bucks since '91, and I can't ever remember getting a renewal notice.  Is it just me?  Obviously I keep close watch on my expiration, and renew accordingly, but hell if I can remember getting notified...
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 7:25:19 PM EDT
[#4]
I've renewed my permit three times(in Bucks County) and have never received a renewal notice.
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 9:17:34 AM EDT
[#5]
§ 6106. Firearms not to be carried without a license.
(a) Offense defined.
(1) Any person who carries a firearm in any vehicle or any person who carries a firearm concealed on or about his person, except in his place of abode or fixed place of business, without a valid and lawfully issued license under this chapter commits a felony of the third degree.
(2) A person who is otherwise eligible to possess a valid license under this chapter but carries a firearm in any vehicle or any person who carries a firearm concealed on or about his person, except in his place of abode or fixed place of business, without a valid and lawfully issued license and has not committed any other criminal violation commits a misdemeanor of the first degree
(b) Exceptions. The provisions of subsection (a) shall not apply to:
(12) A person who has a lawfully issued license to carry a firearm pursuant to section 6109 (relating to licenses) and that said license expired within six months prior to the date of arrest and that the individual is otherwise eligible for renewal of the license.

Luzerne County does not send out notices for renewal.

Obviously some people are too stupid to keep an eye on their license and know when it expires. I guess if PENNDOT doesn't send them out a renewal for their registration or driver's license they don't need to keep it current either.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 11:29:50 AM EDT
[#6]
I live next door in Montco but the arrogance of the Sheriff is unbelievable.

"Donnelly said that if gun owners are truly responsible, they should be keeping an eye on their permits and know when they are due to expire and take steps to renew them on their own if they fail to receive notices from his office"

He this joker was truly responsible he would make sure his damn computer worked. There is a Staples down the road from the court house that will sell him one for under $500.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top