Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/29/2005 4:38:42 AM EDT
Anybody have any more info than what's in the paper?

abclocal.go.com/wpvi/news/072905_nw_gunshop.html

DelCo Gun Shop Raided
July 28, 2005 — Federal agents raided a gun shop Thursday afternoon in Clifton Heights Delaware County.

The Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms converged on Max's Gun Shop in the 400 block of North Springfield Road.

Agents seized 69 weapons, including machine guns and a sawed off shotgun.

They say an undercover investigation revealed the owner was selling the weapons illegally.

He faces up to ten years behind bars if convicted.

Link Posted: 7/29/2005 5:45:49 AM EDT
[#1]
I live fairly close by and wanted to stop in there. I guess I won't now.

On second thought, I'm glad that I didn't!

Didn't hear anymore info about the raid. I'm sure that we will. The newspapers will be more than happy
to let us know.
Link Posted: 7/29/2005 3:20:18 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 7/29/2005 3:27:12 PM EDT
[#3]
When I read the article and saw they seized autos and a SBS I was hoping they were legal guns and the feds had him on some BS paperwork charges.

Link Posted: 7/29/2005 3:31:29 PM EDT
[#4]
If this is the same shop I'm thinking of, it is called Mack's not Max's.
Link Posted: 7/29/2005 4:31:54 PM EDT
[#5]
He had dozens of weapons with the ser. #'s removed.
Link Posted: 7/29/2005 5:18:02 PM EDT
[#6]
Todays Daily news reported that there was something like 70 untraceable guns (not exactly sure what they mean by that, there was no mention of removed serial #'s but they did say there was no paperwork for some guns).  The full auto was a .45 caliber weapon (maybe a Thomopson, I don't think they said what it was) and it was purchased by an undercover FED.

I get so pissed off when I hear of assholes that do this kind of dumb shit.  We are already portrayed in a bad light we certainly don't need assholes like this making it worse for us.  It's not that I care what people think of us it's just shit like this is what politicians use to lobby for more gun control.    Fucking Stupid Asshole!!!
Link Posted: 7/29/2005 5:36:45 PM EDT
[#7]
On the 5 o'clock news they said 3 machine guns and dozens with the numbers removed. In the next month every shop in or around Philly will be checked. Collosimo's and Fishtown Gun and Lock should be next.
Link Posted: 7/29/2005 6:16:51 PM EDT
[#8]
After the feds have had time to go through all transaction records, expect to be contacted by them if you've dealt with this guy in the past.  FWIW a shop in Croyden was busted by the feds a few years back, and did just that.  To verify sales and/or ownership of firearms that went through the shop.  I have to agree with other posters, this is the kind of shit that we don't need these days.  Just when we're making a little headway regaining some of our rights.  It's pure "ammo" for the anti's.
Link Posted: 7/30/2005 12:43:20 PM EDT
[#9]
I was just in there about 3 weeks ago, there was nothing illlegal that I saw, and Mac seemed like a pretty decent guy.
Link Posted: 7/30/2005 2:23:13 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Mac seemed like a pretty decent guy.

Come on now, isn't that what the neighbor always says about the person just arrested on the 5 o'clock news.....  
Link Posted: 7/30/2005 8:25:43 PM EDT
[#11]
No, he is a Vietnam vet(marine), and he didn't seem to tolerate any shit. He really did seem like an honest guy, and he was always very polite.
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 3:18:00 AM EDT
[#12]
If the story plays out as described in the press, I say good riddence to Mac or what ever his name is.  But let's remember boys, the media often get's it wrong.  Let's see what the "other side" of the story is.  Perhaps when this guy gets out on bail, someone close to him can post his side.  Things aren't always as they appear.

Regards,
Gary
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 6:33:35 PM EDT
[#13]
ditto on that, communist media slant,maybe....other side of story is always worth the wait.
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 4:02:18 AM EDT
[#14]
Collosimos should be closed just because of the outragous prices! lol. What a horrible place..

Frank

Quoted:
On the 5 o'clock news they said 3 machine guns and dozens with the numbers removed. In the next month every shop in or around Philly will be checked. Collosimo's and Fishtown Gun and Lock should be next.

Link Posted: 8/4/2005 5:31:15 AM EDT
[#15]
I am not familiar with this shop but if a dealer (or individual) is stupid enough to make and sell (or even make) an illegal MG with the increased watching of the Feds after 9-11....  well, I agree with the oppinion above that these people deserve what they have comming to them...

I had a gunsmith out in the Hershey area that I liked a great deal and the BATFE seemed to want his licence pulled so they came in and did an extensive audit of his books.  They found a couple cases where his personal guns were in the shop and a couple mistakes in his books with incorrect serial numbers... (Mind you this is the story I heard... but from the dealer)...  The BATFE said give up your licence or these are the fines and the fines were far more then he made in several years of business...

I am always skeptical of what the alphabet soup guys say...  If it is real... nail his ass to the wall!
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 8:09:03 PM EDT
[#16]
I also heard from another guy that he saw 60mm mortars being removed from the shop. I assume they were de-milled, but you never know. They also failed to mention on the news that Vietnam has this guy pretty messed up in the head, and he obviously does not think straight judging by the times I've spoken with him.
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 1:07:26 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
I also heard from another guy that he saw 60mm mortars being removed from the shop. I assume they were de-milled, but you never know. They also failed to mention on the news that Vietnam has this guy pretty messed up in the head, and he obviously does not think straight judging by the times I've spoken with him.

I know him.  I don't think he is messed up in the head like you say.  I think he just made a very bad decision.  In other words he fucked up big time.  We all make mistakes.  It doesn't make him a bad person just a stupid one.
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 12:01:42 PM EDT
[#18]
So how many years is he looking at?
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 4:45:46 PM EDT
[#19]
My general rule when it comes to firearms is that I don't judge anyone.

When I see someone possibly breaking any of our fine firearms laws I pass along whatever info I can then back off and let them to their business.

However, like it or not, federally licensed dealers have to either follow the law or pay the consequences. They should know that with todays anti-gun atmosphere and post 9/11 they are increasingly being investigated.

Who knows, maybe if he is prosecuted he will appeal all the way to the supreme court and they will find restricting machine guns to be unconstitutional.
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 5:02:48 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
My general rule when it comes to firearms is that I don't judge anyone.

Who knows, maybe if he is prosecuted he will appeal all the way to the supreme court and they will find restricting machine guns to be unconstitutional.

It is my hope, and many of yours I'd imagine, that someday soon a case such as this will go to the supreme court and emerge victorious.  One can only hope...
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 11:41:35 AM EDT
[#21]
I don’t want to judge either and will wait for all facts to come in. However, filing off serial numbers (if true!!!) is more that just some mistake. Usually means that he also had a buyer for the guns - and that’s not good news for any of us.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top