Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/31/2004 5:16:31 AM EDT
Does anyone have a florida permit?  How difficult is it to get?  From looking on their site it doesn't seem too bad.
Link Posted: 12/31/2004 8:10:35 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
Does anyone have a florida permit?  How difficult is it to get?  From looking on their site it doesn't seem too bad.

Can you give us a link to the site?
Link Posted: 12/31/2004 8:49:33 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 12/31/2004 1:29:03 PM EDT
[#3]
Questions answered.  Fingerprints, and saftey/training class required.  Found several people I know who have one.  
Link Posted: 12/31/2004 1:32:21 PM EDT
[#4]
This showed up in active topics...

I am a former Florida resident, I still have my Florida permit (works just fine here in Colorado).

You can request a packet from the website, which will have everything you need.

As of this fall (when I left Florida), permits were taking about 6 weeks to arrive.
Link Posted: 12/31/2004 1:34:48 PM EDT
[#5]
I have a Mass and a NH license. Florida required fingerprints and answer about 20 questions similar to a 4473 and I believe $117 dollars. It took about 45 days but I have heard as long as the advertised 90 days. I have now had my Florida license for about a year+

Mark

Accepted in over 20 states, yes even non resident!!
Link Posted: 12/31/2004 3:09:44 PM EDT
[#6]
try philadelphia archery and gun club they have a class for applying for your FL permit.
real nice people. they told me the permit is good in 25 states!
Link Posted: 1/4/2005 10:12:01 AM EDT
[#7]
A friend of mine just got his.  It's good if you live in SE or W PA because it lets you carry in delaware and ohio.  Application was easy, just some paperwork and any gun safety course will do.

The only thing is you are very likely to have to wait nearly the full 90 days to get it.
Link Posted: 1/4/2005 4:54:31 PM EDT
[#8]
Well it looks like I am getting a  Fl permit  I vacation with the Parents in Del  and I always  Hated not being able to carry.   Shame  MD is not one of the states
Link Posted: 1/5/2005 6:42:22 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
. . . . . . . . Florida required fingerprints and answer about 20 questions similar to a 4473 and I believe $117 dollars. It took about 45 days but I have heard as long as the advertised 90 days. I have now had my Florida license for about a year+

Mark

Accepted in over 20 states, yes even non resident!!

Yup, that's about the size of it.

I (MD resident) also have a FL permit. Very starightforward to get. Though they do require "training", I believe that requirement can be satisfied in one of several ways, including prior military service.
Link Posted: 1/5/2005 6:45:21 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Well it looks like I am getting a  Fl permit  I vacation with the Parents in Del  and I always  Hated not being able to carry.   Shame  MD is not one of the states

MD has a LOT of problems like that.

BTW, VA has recently gone "shall issue" and will issue a non-resident permit. The VA permit covers almost as many states and is honored in WV too, one that FL doesn't buy.

See Packing.Org.
Link Posted: 1/5/2005 10:12:43 AM EDT
[#11]
Did you guys check out the name of the Florida Commissioner for Licensing???

Charles Bronson

How cool is that???  

I have a certificate for Small Arms Firing School that the Army puts on at Camp Perry...I think that will work for a training certificate according to the site. You can also use your hunters saftey cert.

I'm getting my license soon....$190.00 get you 10 years in the state of Florida...not bad.  And the list is up to 28 states now that Honor FL.
Link Posted: 1/6/2005 9:07:24 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
the Florida Commissioner for Licensing???

.  And the list is up to 28 states now that Honor FL.

Got my application in the mail today. At $117.00, I was looking for something that delt with recroprocity with Delaware. Has anyone ever verified with Delaware the validity of a non-resident Fla license being "good" in De.?
Looking at Delaware's CCW laws, it says pretty clearly (below)  the words in Bold, imply residency within another state that offer recroprocity with Delaware.

(j) Notwithstanding any other provision of this Code to the contrary, the State of Delaware shall give full faith and credit and shall otherwise honor and give full force and effect to all licenses/permits issued to the citizens of other states where those issuing states also give full faith and credit and otherwise honor the licenses issued by the State of Delaware pursuant to this section and where those licenses/permits are issued by authority pursuant to state law and which afford a reasonably similar degree of protection as is provided by licensure in Delaware. For the purpose of this subsection "reasonably similar" does not preclude alternative or differing provisions nor a different source and process by which eligibility is determined. Notwithstanding the forgoing, if there is evidence of a pattern of issuing licenses/permits to convicted felons in another state, the Attorney General shall not include that state under the exception contained in this subsection even if the law of that state is determined to be "reasonably similar." The Attorney General shall communicate the provisions of this section to the Attorneys General of the several states and shall determine those states whose licensing/permit systems qualify for recognition under this section. The Attorney General shall publish on January 15th of each year a list of all States which have qualified for reciprocity under this subsection. Such list shall be valid for one year and any removal of a State from the list shall not occur without 1 year's notice of such impending removal. Such list shall be made readily available to all State and local law enforcement agencies within the State as well as to all then-current holders of licenses issued by the State of Delaware pursuant to this Section.
Link Posted: 1/6/2005 3:25:14 PM EDT
[#13]
yes, a non-resident permit will be fine.  A resident and non-resident permit from florida require the same checks, fingerprints and training.

Only new hampshire and michigan will not accept a non-resident permit from florida, but they'll both accept your PA permit so problem solved.

http://licgweb.doacs.state.fl.us/news/concealed_carry.html

read the above.  And no comments on how i think I know everything
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 7:16:02 AM EDT
[#14]
I was looking thru the Lic. info from Florida on thier site.

If I read this correctly, my PA carry permit "IS" a legal permit for concealed carry in Flordia.

Am I reading this right?
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 9:31:06 AM EDT
[#15]
You are correct, a PA resident permit is legal for carry in the state of florida.
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 4:52:27 PM EDT
[#16]
From packing.org  

Permits/licenses that this state honors:

Florida
Non-resident Permit/License ok
2004-07-01 http://www.state.de.us/attgen/index.htm  
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 5:03:29 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
yes, a non-resident permit will be fine.  A resident and non-resident permit from florida require the same checks, fingerprints and training.

Ok, I believe I "see the light." The problem with Pa. not being able to get recroprocity with Delaware is because Pa is a "shall issue" state, and doesn't require any "training" whereas Delaware, does require training. .... Therefore, Florida, which requires training, is recognized in Delaware; even if it's a non-resident.
If any legal-types are reading, could you please offer your opinion, thanks.

Link Posted: 1/10/2005 5:51:33 AM EDT
[#18]
I got my Virginia permit about 10 years and my Florida permit 2 years ago so I can carry while I'm visiting my brother. The Va. legisature signed Rcip. agreement with Fla. last year so it's somewhat redundant now.
To answer your question, the people I delt with on the phone were polite and acted like they wanted me to get a permit. Not at all like a lot goverment offices.
I plan to keep the Fla. permit for travel in the northwest. Unless things have changed, out of state permit holders have to go thru the entire process for renewal.  
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 8:48:42 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Ok, I believe I "see the light." The problem with Pa. not being able to get recroprocity with Delaware is because Pa is a "shall issue" state, and doesn't require any "training" whereas Delaware, does require training. .... Therefore, Florida, which requires training, is recognized in Delaware; even if it's a non-resident.
If any legal-types are reading, could you please offer your opinion, thanks.

That's pretty much correct.  A lot of states are weary of reciprocity with PA because of the ease of which a PA licence can be obtained (Application and a background check).  This is probably groundless as i doubt crimes comitted and accidents caused by PA permit holders are any more than other states.

PA also does not actively seek reciprocity with other states.  Look how many more states new hampshire permits work in for example.
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 10:32:30 AM EDT
[#20]
We just finished completing a project for Charles Bronson here in Florida-he is a fourth generation Floridan and loves to hunt, fish, and shoot-very pro gun.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top