Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/23/2004 12:27:35 PM EDT
See what kind of trouble you've caused?

Jay comes back to CT with a Yugo SKS,

and a second one followed me home!

Have fun tomorrow, let Jay know how the CETME is with the FH.

Joe

Link Posted: 10/24/2004 12:10:16 PM EDT
[#1]
Me? Trouble? Ummm NAW!!!  

SKS rifles are addictive....you'll get more.

The Cetme is much quieter without the MB but it kicks a bit more as my cheekbone can attest....threw the POI off by changing it but it rezeroed just fine.....it'll still outshoot his AR.  lol
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 5:09:36 PM EDT
[#2]
RM

Actually, I had spent some time researching the SKS over the past months, found some websites with some good info, quite an interesting history.

With a lot of things going to keep me busy, and a lot of other demands on my wallet over the last 6 years, I just never got into running one down. However about a month ago I had visited a gunstore about 10 miles north of the range Jay and I go to here in CT, looking for some milsurp 5.56. In that same area of the store as the milsurp I noticed four or five Yugo SKSs, and the very nice price they were asking.

When we got into wringing out Jay's SKS at the range, that did it. After we finished we went up to the store and I "convinced one to follow me home". Jay's appears to have been made in early 1970 and mine sometime in 1977, based on some info Jay found on the web. Both appeared to be unissued, virtually identical when put side by side, except his launcher is ported and mine is not, and as to the stocks ... his is in nicer condition, mine looks like it was a store rack queen and was handled a bit, with resulting dings and dents. No matter. It may be a beater gun, but it's mine.

Jay's did quite well in its baptism of fire. Sights are crappy compared to the AR, but are pretty much right on, it was fun to shoot, and with 762x39 rounds at about 10 cents each, shooting it is easy on the wallet. You're right, they are very addictive.

Mine is lathered in the packing grease, and I expect to go through quite a bit of degreaser or mineral spirits to get it clean enough to even pick up without my hands smelling like Tito's old socks!

Have fun Saturday!

Link Posted: 10/24/2004 7:59:06 PM EDT
[#3]
Have you checked out this websitewww.surplusrifle.com/shooting/yugosks/index.asp
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 10:31:56 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 2:17:02 AM EDT
[#5]
Thanx, guys. Had the surplusrifle site tagged, but not the board.

New rifle, more new things to learn and do.

Joe
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 4:42:45 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Me? Trouble? Ummm NAW!!!  

SKS rifles are addictive....you'll get more.

The Cetme is much quieter without the MB but it kicks a bit more as my cheekbone can attest....threw the POI off by changing it but it rezeroed just fine.....it'll still outshoot his AR.  lol

Good to hear, now I don't have to get up and move when you fire that thing...and this Yugo throws brass like the CETME does, so you're gonna get rained on with brass saturday...I keep tellin my father to get ready to buy a CETME cause I think that's next on my list, I know he'd love it...

Hey Mike, you gonna have the SPR ready by Saturday?
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 6:59:03 AM EDT
[#7]
I should have the upper but I'm going to have to use my 1 stage NM lower.
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 7:35:16 AM EDT
[#8]
That SKS throws brass forward into the next Zip code!
Almost as bad as my DPMS used to do toward 5 o'clock until I changed the bolt carrier.
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 9:28:48 AM EDT
[#9]
My CETME doesn't throw brass, these guys are just over-hyping it because they fear it.

Yeah Jay, it's not nearly as loud now as it was......kicks a bit more though.
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 11:24:10 AM EDT
[#10]
for your get together here it is  
Wolf 7.62x39 20 rounds in a box $2.00 a box $48.00 (25 boxs)  $88.00 full case (50 boxs)
Wolf 223 62gr (steel case)20 round box   $3.00 a box  $68.75 (25 boxs) $120.00 (50 boxs)
wolf 45acp (steel case) 50 round box  $7.00 a box  5+ boxs $6.75 each
Federal 223 55gr (brass case) 20 round a box  $4.25 box  10 box $ 40.00  $95.00  case (25 boxs)
Independance 9mm barss case 50 rounds a box  115gr fmj $6.00 a box  10 boxs  $57.50
indain 308  brass case  147 gr fmj  $1.50 bag of 10
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 2:37:45 PM EDT
[#11]
Did I hear some mention throwing brass?  Perhaps I'll dust off the Mini-14.... That one was good for some fun and some dings off the scalpes of my shooting pals....!    

Regards,
Gary
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top