Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/25/2004 11:46:49 AM EDT
Anyone know of any ranges in Westmoreland county? Is rapid fire allowed? Im kind of knew to the area.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 4:35:24 AM EDT
[#1]
I know of two ranges on the far western edge of Westmoreland County.  

First is Crowfoot CLUB in Murrysville.  They have a 200 yard rifle range, trap range, indoor pistol range, archery range, fishing pond, and a clubhouse.  Drawbacks are that rapid fire is strictly prohibited (due to the multiple gas wells on property), odd design of 200 yard range, and the fact that when the trap range is open, all others are closed (except for indoor pistol).  The 200 yard range goes downhill to a pond then uphill.  If you are trying to shoot 50 yards you are up on the rifle to get it aimed right while sitting at the bench.  

The other is some type of strictly trap range on 286.  Its a public range but only offers trap shooting.  
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 3:55:21 PM EDT
[#2]
You might want to have a look at the Burrell Twp. Rod & Gun club in Blacklick.  This is a range just outside of Blairsville.  This club is very open minded and not many people actually go there.  It primarily caters to metallic sillouette shooters but they let you do what you want as long as you do not hose their rams, ducks, chickens and rats with jacketed rifle ammo.

The cost to join is pretty low as long as you are willing to sell tickets.

If you can get away on a fall weekday let me know.  I would be willing to take you as a guest and we can show off our toys.

Rob
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 5:12:23 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
You might want to have a look at the Burrell Twp. Rod & Gun club in Blacklick.  This is a range just outside of Blairsville.  This club is very open minded and not many people actually go there.  It primarily caters to metallic sillouette shooters but they let you do what you want as long as you do not hose their rams, ducks, chickens and rats with jacketed rifle ammo.

If you can get away on a fall weekday let me know.  I would be willing to take you as a guest and we can show off our toys.

Rob

Hey, will do! Got a feeling in 2 weeks I will be laid off of work, not good for the bank, but real good for the guns. If I am laid off I will let you know.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 6:00:34 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Rob

MrKasab,

Rhainan is a good guy and has some nice toys.  Have fun shootn'!!
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 6:42:57 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I know of two ranges on the far western edge of Westmoreland County.  

First is Crowfoot CLUB in Murrysville.  They have a 200 yard rifle range, trap range, indoor pistol range, archery range, fishing pond, and a clubhouse.  Drawbacks are that rapid fire is strictly prohibited (due to the multiple gas wells on property), odd design of 200 yard range, and the fact that when the trap range is open, all others are closed (except for indoor pistol).  The 200 yard range goes downhill to a pond then uphill.  If you are trying to shoot 50 yards you are up on the rifle to get it aimed right while sitting at the bench.  

The other is some type of strictly trap range on 286.  Its a public range but only offers trap shooting.  

Stay away from Crowfoot, I was a member there for 12 years and quite last year. The club is run by a bunch of idiots, it used to be a nice club up until about 4 years ago.
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 5:46:24 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Stay away from Crowfoot, I was a member there for 12 years and quite last year. The club is run by a bunch of idiots, it used to be a nice club up until about 4 years ago.

I also quit last year and then joined Logan's Ferry in Plum, PA.  Crowfoot is unsafe, poorly maintained, and often abused by non-members.  THe idiots that do run it are almost impossible to get a hold of even at the meetings they hold.  I gave up, quit my membership, and moved on.  Logan's Ferry lets you fire rapid fire, full auto (if you have a fun toy), and has a beautiful 300 yard range.  
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 8:03:21 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 11:19:34 AM EDT
[#8]
I also agree.  One thing that has been consistent for me for the last few years is that I am usually not even in state during those times to hunt or shoot.  

It is a BS policy along with a few other things that go on there like having to use your key card to open the gate that is never closed.  Then they cry about things being stolen or people abusing the ranges.  

A few weeks ago I went up there just to get few rounds downrange and they were setting up for a steel plate shoot.   Some guy had an AK and after the plates were setup just filled them full of holes on the 25 yard range.  He packed up and got out before I or anyone else said something.  When I showed up I got some nasty looks from the other members.  I hadn't noticed the AK wearing his membership card so I questioned the others as to who the AK guy had been.  No one knew but they were mad he did what he did.  I am guessing he probably wasn't a member but who knows.   If I don't get out there soon I won't be shooting until spring!!!
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 5:50:38 PM EDT
[#9]
Ditto on Crowfoot. They suck! No rapid fire and I'm pretty sure there is a mag loading restriction. The last time I was there the only target up was the 100 yard. They kept saying they were going to fix the others but they never did for months so I quit. I joined Pitcairn-Monroeville Sportmens Club in North Versailles. Its a real nice club and they allow rapid fire. It is near the Allegheny/Westmoreland county line and very easy to find.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top