Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/23/2004 11:10:28 AM EDT
After much searching it looks like I'll be getting a job in Uniontown. I'm from PA and have been trying to get back home since I got out of the Navy last year. I just want to know what the areas like. Crime rate, cost of living and nearby colleges. Things like that. I've been told that Uniontown isn't too great so I'm thinking I'll be moving to somewhere outside of town.  Any info is greatly appreciated. Thanks guys.
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 11:30:03 AM EDT
[#1]
mkgunz:
Thank you for your service! I would try to stay out of Uniontown. It probably has the highest crime rate of any town in Fayette-Nam. Cost of living is low since it is such a depressed area. I think if you want to come to this area then Westmoreland County is best. Normal people & average cost of living. Have a good one................Good Luck!
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 2:32:57 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 5:12:47 PM EDT
[#3]
Ya, I figured I wouldn't live there. My brother is a cop in PA and he called the area Fayette-Nam. I figured it was just his nickname for it. So anywho, I'd like to be about 30 min from Uniontown. If that's a safe distance. I've got a wife and kid and my job will have me traveling so I don't want to have them in a bad place when I'm gone for a few weeks. Please give me any info or opinions you have.
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 8:40:03 PM EDT
[#4]
There's lots of rural area around Uniontown and there are several other small towns within a short drive.  

I'm probably forgetting something, but California University of PA might be the closest college.

I've got friends that live in the Deer Lake/Flat Rock area (just south of Uniontown on 40), which seems nice.  

I also have friends in California, PA and the West Brownsville/Blainsburg area of Washington County (FYI -there's a gun club right near the university in California), which is about 20 to 25 minutes from Uniontown on 40 and doesn't seem like a bad place to live.
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 10:29:17 PM EDT
[#5]
How about Washington, PA? Small town, good people, not a bad little place!
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 3:29:34 AM EDT
[#6]
My friend was a professor at California University of PA for a while.  I visited him for a few days and was amazed at how crappy Uniontown was.  I just kept thinking on my way home how I'm glad I didn't live there.  It's very run down, grungy, and crime ridden.
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 3:22:57 PM EDT
[#7]
Yeah there is allot of good country living around Uniontown. South Union township has nice parts. Also you should be able to find a nice place up over the mountain on 40. I love that area up there. Lots of nice property up around Chalk Hill & Farmington. If are comming up to look around and need someone to show you around a bit let me know.
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 8:54:22 PM EDT
[#8]
Ill second Medic on that the area up off of 40 is fantastic some really georgeous houses & property up there south Uniontown - Hopwood area is nice but Uniontown itself has some really crappy areas. Pitt has acampus down there off of 119 just north of the SP barracks across from United Defense (rebuilder of Bradley AFV's) and Cali U is a short hop away although Greensburgh is closer and has a several school opportunities. Plenty of little towns up 119 out 40 and 21 to live at without more than a 20-30 minuite "commute" into Uniontown daily --oh BTW Uniontown is the cty seat and the Co Sherrif processes carry permits pretty fast.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 9:03:01 AM EDT
[#9]
You know, I love this web site and all it's memebers. This really helps alot guys. Thanks for all the good info. I might take you up on that Medic. I should be coming up for an on site, second interview pretty soon. As long as I get this job that is. I've heard way too many, "We've just got to wait for HR.". Am I that much of a shit bag? No I'm not going to add a poll. lol

Thanks all!
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 5:14:19 PM EDT
[#10]
If I may ask. Where are you tryin to get hired on at?
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 4:50:25 AM EDT
[#11]
Hey, wait a minute, your gonna black ball ain't 'cha? Just kiddin. I just interveiwed at Advanced Acoustic Concepts. Being as I was  Sonar Technician in the Navy and they do Sonar I think I'll get hired.  If not I'm joining the Marines or the Army cause I'm sick of being unemployed.
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 12:47:22 PM EDT
[#12]
Well things are looking better. The person I interviewed with just called me back and asked if HR got a hold of me yet. Which they didn't, he said "I'll take care of that". He also said the team leader for my position will be calling me from Japan tonight to do a cursery phone interview. Sounds like things are looking up for me! Thank you God.
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 8:39:48 AM EDT
[#13]
Shoot me an IM, I grew up in Uniontown. I can tell you everything you need to know.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top