Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/19/2004 5:58:19 AM EDT
Me and 556sniper were there last year, and loved it. We`re trying to get a weekend up in the Poconos again. So we wanted to go there as apposed to a state range. Bu I gotta few questions

1. Is the range fee the same as it was last year, $10?
2. Is the Range Qualification fee the same, $5? Another friend may go who has never shot there before.
3. What is their weekend hours? I can`t seem to find their website.
4. I know that Sunset Hill didn`t like F/A or Rapid Fire mag dumps, but are they still cool with 3 shot bursts?

Thanks
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 4:02:26 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/20/2004 5:03:22 AM EDT
[#2]
slidestop I`ve been to both. Both are good ranges, Water and Wings is better. But I`m closer to Sunset Hill when I`m in the Poconos. It was a cool range then, and I would like to go again.

I just want to make sure that we can fill a 30rd mag up and do 3rd bursts there like last year.
Link Posted: 8/28/2004 7:18:06 AM EDT
[#3]
I would call first. The last time I was at sunset hill it was hand gun only. I would not be surprized if the place is shut down.
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 2:38:15 PM EDT
[#4]
i shoot there on occasion and i spoke to them a few weeks ago and they said they only take reservations as of now and that they only have three "lanes" open. im assuming theyre either shutting down which i heard or maybe renoviating which i doubt. they also no longer let people change targets. you shoot at what they have downrange and thats it.
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 5:54:50 AM EDT
[#5]
Ok I was there about a year ago. You had gun rentals to the left and gun owners to the right. First was rifle then came 25 yard pistol, then came the (aproximatly) 12 yard pistol range on a pulley system.

After that came the bowling pins. Then I believe the claybird area.

I was allowed to shoot 3 shot bursts thru my rifles (AR15, AK47/74) meaning rapid fire but no more than 3 rounds when you do.

You couldn`t change any targets the Range Officers(R/O) would call for a clear and change all of them, you could however rent a spotting scope.

What`s with this handgun only and taking reservations? That certainly ain`t fun for me. Not to mention 556sniper.

Thanks
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 5:39:05 PM EDT
[#6]
Sunset Hills is ok. I've shot there several times with fellow shooter from over on the Sig Forum.

Yes, you can shoot rifles. I've shot my M1 Garand, SKS and a Colt AR-15 there, plus the assorted handguns.

Sunset Hills was shut down for a time this summer due to "idiots" launching rounds over the backstop. I think they are rebuilding the backstops or something. I've heard they were supposed to be re-opened by Labor Day, but you might want to call. They may even have re-opened earlier than expected.

The guys, and a few gals from the SF try and get several shoots a year there. They re-did the handgun range so every shooting position is under cover.
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 7:12:56 AM EDT
[#7]
Steve_in_PA last year they allowed you to rapid fire if you did a three round burst (like a M16A2), can we still do that now? Or are we stuck to slow fire there now?
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 8:14:49 AM EDT
[#8]
I know, on the handgun range you could fire a 3-round "rapid fire".

Don't recall if they said anything about shooting on the rifle range.
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 12:06:43 PM EDT
[#9]
Cool with any luck it should be the same with rifles. Very important for me on rifle range. I have to do some rapid fire when I have my AR`s and AK`s.
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 11:41:09 PM EDT
[#10]
When I read this post title I thought, "Isn't Sunset Hill a Girlscout camp?"
Then I read their web site and I Quote:

The fee to shoot is $10 per shooter for the entire day. That's right, you can shoot from 10am until 5pm for only $10!!!
We also have a membership that you may sign up for at Sunset Hill. If you become a frequent shooter here, we mark down each time you visit. Every 5th time is on the house!

Holy crap you guys pay that? I would not be able to afford ammo if I had to pay those kinds of range fees! My brother goes to ESU and was looking for a nearby range, guess he's SOL!
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 5:12:46 AM EDT
[#11]
I guess I'm spoiled....I already live out in the country and have my house sitting right in the middle of 60 acres.

I step out the back door and dump a beta anytime I like...and no range fees.   I guess I'm lucky that way
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 6:10:41 PM EDT
[#12]
The only time I've shot at Sunset Hills, is when we have shoots there, commonly refered to as PA Sig Forum Shoots, since we all know each other from the SF board. So, spending $20-$40 dollars during the summer isn't that bad.

It's a covered range, so you can still shoot in comfort even when it's pouring out.

All my other shooting is done at the free PGC ranges.

I'm not trying to drum up business for SH, because I have my own personal opinion on some of the "safety officers" I've seen strolling around there, but people complain about spending $10 for a range fee, are the same people who will spend that and more in one day drinking beer and smoking cigarettes.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top