Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/14/2003 2:51:13 PM EDT
I was doing some research for my Bro in Alaska and  ended up deciding to move out there myself, My girlfriend is from PA,WV, area near Morgantown and she wants to go back. So we decided to do it. I have lived 28 years in Alaska then decided to try AZ, the cost of living out here is killing us and the GF says we would do ALOT better there in PA. I've been there a few times and liked what I saw. If anyone has any ideas to help our move go smooth or can help me develop a network of decent like minded friends in that area of PA I would greatly appreciate it.

Hunter out...
Link Posted: 12/14/2003 3:06:57 PM EDT
[#1]
Well, I won't be a lot of help to you here in the Philly 'burbs. Check out the Central PA Crew thread tacked at the top. Bet they can help you out...
Link Posted: 12/14/2003 3:32:31 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Well, I won't be a lot of help to you here in the Philly 'burbs. Check out the Central PA Crew thread tacked at the top. Bet they can help you out...

Thanks bigdb1,

Hunter out...

Link Posted: 12/14/2003 7:25:00 PM EDT
[#3]
MH,
Too bad AZ didn't work out for you.  I have been there and liked it.  I met a LOT of C3 guys and the open carry is great.  I am thinking about going back to live in the future.  What was so bad about it beside the cost of living?

Where do you plan on settleing here?  The job market varies greatly with the part of the state that you are in.  What do you do for a living?  

We have a good group of guys here in PA.  Let us know when you get here and I'm sure that someone will be able to help you out with your questions.

Mario_FAMOInc
Link Posted: 12/15/2003 5:28:14 AM EDT
[#4]
Hunter,

Morgantown WV is right down the road (I-79) from Pittsburgh. We have a great (but small) training community centered in Pittsburgh.

A friend (Peter Georgiades) organizes and sponsors formal firearms training courses with some of the best instructors in the country. Pete teaches a basic carbine course and we have Giles Stock twice a year for handgun and usually an intermediate carbine course.

We've also had:
Randy Cain (www.guntactics.com)
Jim Crews (www.marksmansenterprise.com)
Steve Tarani (www.contactdefense.com)

FWIW, Ed Avila, Sr. took the carbine course last August with a few other AR15.com guys.

Here is a review of their course:
http://ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=13&t=207367&w=searchPop

Pete started a yahoo groups mail list to keep folks informed of training opportunities. You can subscribe here:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Pgh-training/

We are also in the process of designing a website which should be ready in the next month or so.

Most of the courses are held at the Greater Pittsburgh Gun Club. It's about 10 miles west of Pittsburgh (near the Airport).

http://www.greaterpghgunclb.com/index.html

When/if you make the move, contact me and we'll be happy to make your acquaintance.

[email protected]
Link Posted: 12/15/2003 12:29:12 PM EDT
[#5]
I'm never home in PA much anymore (Pittsburgh area) much, but it's not bad.

If you want to stay near Morgantown the Washington, PA area to the north and south is good.  Lots of land and open spaces.  As TonyF
mentioned there is a lot of good shooting and classes put on at The Greater Pittsburgh Range.  

You need to post what you do (or are willing to do) for a living.  The job market is really tight for some areas and wide open in others.  This isn't much of a blue collar town anymore (althought most people like to think that way still), most of the factories and mills are gone.  

Lots of bolt gun guys who hunt for two weeks a year and that's it.  Most of them throw up a big ? when you start talking ARs but they are easy to turn after a while.  Easy to get a CCW permit in PA and some have even open carried without issue.  
Link Posted: 12/16/2003 6:28:25 AM EDT
[#6]
Morgantown is near Reading, not that far from Philly! We will be practically neighbors. Welcome!
Link Posted: 12/18/2003 9:17:28 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
MH,
Too bad AZ didn't work out for you.  I have been there and liked it.  I met a LOT of C3 guys and the open carry is great.  I am thinking about going back to live in the future.  What was so bad about it beside the cost of living?

Where do you plan on settleing here?  The job market varies greatly with the part of the state that you are in.  What do you do for a living?  

We have a good group of guys here in PA.  Let us know when you get here and I'm sure that someone will be able to help you out with your questions.

Mario_FAMOInc

I too am giving AZ a serious look.  I'm shooting for Tucson. I've been a couple of times and looking at heading back out after the new year.

I've been unemployed since June 2, I do computers networking, servers, ccna, MCSE, IIS, SQL that type of stuff. The market is looking good in Pittsburgh if your a programmer. I almost landed a job in Douglas, AZ last week, that would have been a sweet job.
Link Posted: 12/20/2003 7:51:09 PM EDT
[#8]
Middle of the state here, if I can lend a hand lemme know.  Ops
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top