Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/23/2003 2:58:36 AM EDT
Well I`ve been carrying a few times now. It changes your perspective on a lot of things. Like " Am I the only one here carrying or not?" Didn`t think much about that before I started to carry. My question today is Post Offices. Being how is a Government building are you allowed to carry there? Or should I live my piece in my car? Thanks
Link Posted: 8/23/2003 3:41:57 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
My question today is Post Offices. Being how is a Government building are you allowed to carry there?

Yes, as long as you're doing it lawfully.
Link Posted: 8/23/2003 6:02:54 PM EDT
[#2]
Dude its the post office!!!!!!That place always has wackos hanging around. Oh, yeh and lets not forget about the guy behind the counter whose so stressed out that he wants to go on rampage by the end of the day!  Think about it.
Link Posted: 8/25/2003 3:01:55 AM EDT
[#3]
I’ve had this question in my head for awhile now.  I’m not a lawyer nor do I play one on TV, but I think the issue at hand is not that it is a government building, but rather that it is a Federal Government building i.e. Federal Property.  I’m pretty sure that carrying on Federal property is a major No No.  I work on a Federal Installation and I know for sure that bringing a firearm (loaded, unloaded, carried, or cased) is expressly forbidden.  I’m fairly sure this is all federal property.
Link Posted: 8/25/2003 4:03:43 AM EDT
[#4]
The Postal Office is not really part of the fed gov.  They are supposedly a "private" enterprise now.  They are free from government rule in most ways.  I've carried into my Postal office several times without thinking twice about it.  Especially since I know what some of the Postal workers carry on their mailtrucks!
Link Posted: 8/25/2003 4:58:05 AM EDT
[#5]
The post office I use, has a posted sign, handgun with slash thru it and states no firearms allowed.
Link Posted: 8/25/2003 9:24:44 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
The post office I use, has a posted sign, handgun with slash thru it and states no firearms allowed.

Yes, with a note that says it doesn't apply under subsection (d), which states that you can carry for all lawful purposes. They just don't put subsection d on the sign, just a reference to the section.

Here:

(d)        Subsection (a) shall not apply to -

the lawful carrying of firearms or other dangerous weapons in a Federal facility incident to hunting or other lawful purposes.

They're not lying with the sign, just bending the truth. Carry away.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top