Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/24/2003 11:07:59 PM EDT
A couple of close friends are all set to move from NY to Pike CO. They are having a house built in a new planed community, and they have had nothing but great things to say about the low price of land, construction, general living, etc...

Their enthusiasm about their decision is so high that they have planted a seed in mine, & my wife's minds... we just may join them there!

Here is where you guys come in. At the risk of sounding vague, what is PA living like???

I have already researched PA's gun laws, and let's just say that compared to what I am use to here in NY, I will be moving to PARADISE (shall issue CCW / Class III / no state AW ban)!!!

I guess I am wondering about taxes, schools, shopping, local attitudes, state politics, jobs, shooting ranges, etc...

I know I am asking a lot, but sell me on why moving to PA will be the best decision my wife & I ever made!

Thanks much.  
Link Posted: 5/24/2003 11:13:03 PM EDT
[#1]
Oh, I almost forgot...generally speaking, how freely do PA. CLEO's sign off on class III purchases?

Is it hit or miss, are they anti gun, or will they sign willingly?
Link Posted: 5/25/2003 9:53:21 AM EDT
[#2]
I used to live in Wayne County (just north of Pike).  There's a couple nice public (state run, free to use) ranges up there (one right on Rt. 6, near Lake Wallenpaupack).  I never tried for Class III but the County Sheriffs are no problem at all with regard to carry permits.

The only thing wrong with the area is that too many people have learned how wonderful it is and they keep tearing down the forests to build neighborhoods.  There were almost no planned communities up there only a few years ago.  The result is that the infrastructure of the area is not sufficient to handle the surging population.

If you do move there, please consider buying an older home in one of the towns, or (better yet) purchase a small farm and save it from development.
Link Posted: 5/25/2003 10:06:10 AM EDT
[#3]
I wouldn't move in to a planned community, but otherwise, Pa. is great. Taxes and housing prices are pretty low compared to other nearby states. Not sure about Pike County, but here in York Co. CLEO signoffs are no problem.  Oh yeah, we have the 2nd best CCW laws in the nation (IMHO) second only to Vermont.
Link Posted: 5/25/2003 3:51:03 PM EDT
[#4]
Oh man Not another New Yorker! Can't anybody keep a secret .

It's all false what ever you heard . Nothing but lies lies lies! Taxes are outrageous,the schools are dysfunctional and we won't even go into how hard finding a job is. Stay where you are its much better , really it is trust me .
OK Ok if you must know it's only half as bad as I told you. I can't speak of the County in question. I've only visited there and back than it was like Har said mostly forest. Sad to hear whats happening up there.  Good luck
Link Posted: 5/25/2003 9:17:19 PM EDT
[#5]
Slidestop, fear not... my wife & I will be bringing our gun toting, Libertarian/Conservative voting, freedom loving ways with us.

Trust me, I hate NY Leftists just as much as you do.  

Link Posted: 5/25/2003 10:53:45 PM EDT
[#6]
PA is sort of like the northers Texas for gun ownership. Atleast for now. I hear there is a real left-winder that now governs PA.
Link Posted: 5/26/2003 6:50:21 AM EDT
[#7]
Welcome to PA.
The state constitution states:
Right to Bear Arms
Section 21.
The right of the citizens to bear arms in defense of themselves and the State shall not be questioned.

That does not leave much room for debate.

Pike, Wayne and Monroe counties are the fastest growing counties in the state. Fast growth causes infrastructure problems that result in higher taxes for schools, police, etc. Schools raise funds through property taxes, so be prepared for increases.
In general, there are no problems getting concealed carry permits and Class III is fairly common.
Please keep in mind that these areas have to outvote Philadelphia and Pittsburgh in order to maintain our rights. Register and vote.
Link Posted: 5/26/2003 8:54:55 AM EDT
[#8]
I believe there is a law somewhere that says all PA residents must aquire machineguns and silencers...

I know there are many C3 dealers in the state, so I recommend visiting one as soon as you become a PA resident...

Best to play it safe and buy two...

Link Posted: 5/28/2003 11:05:50 AM EDT
[#9]
Pa. is a good state gun wise. The only bad area is Philly where I live and the only drawback here(gun wise) is no Class 3. Why because "they" said so.
Link Posted: 5/29/2003 9:53:51 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Pa. is a good state gun wise. The only bad area is Philly where I live and the only drawback here(gun wise) is no Class 3. Why because "they" said so.

you can get the CLEO to sign for class 3, but you'd better hire a damned good lawyer in order to make the CLEO sign.
Link Posted: 5/29/2003 10:07:54 AM EDT
[#11]
ost of the people I know in Philly with C3 stuff have gotten sign-off from a judge, or, a anyone can do, formed a corporation for the express purpose of collecting C3 stuff (effectively telling the CLEO to GFH)

There is no actual "ban" on NFA ownership in Philly. In fact, the state has a very effectivbe preemption law that prevents the brain-dead liberal enclaves of Philly and Pistburg from passing their own gun laws.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top