Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/23/2022 8:47:19 PM EDT
Anyone know of a good place to repair, update, kill lag and replace a battery on an Aspire E15 laptop?

The Mrs rarely uses it for email and such.  Used to be able to watch Netflix on it.

Starts slow.  Takes forever to get pages and tabs to open.

I've run AVG cleaner and antivirus on it.  Doesn't seem to help.

Battery won't last long just surfing the net.

Paradise Valley area

TIA
Link Posted: 4/23/2022 8:50:44 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Anyone know of a good place to repair, update, kill lag and replace a battery on an Aspire E15 laptop?

The Mrs rarely uses it for email and such.  Used to be able to watch Netflix on it.

Starts slow.  Takes forever to get pages and tabs to open.

I've run AVG cleaner and antivirus on it.  Doesn't seem to help.

Battery won't last long just surfing the net.

Paradise Valley area

TIA
View Quote

Doesn't look too hard

Acer ASPIRE E15 Series Laptop | How to replace battery.

Starting slow and loading pages slow can be a lot of things. Easiest way to make things faster would be going to a SSD. If you're comfortable with changing the battery changing the harddrive would just be a few more steps. At that point you can start from scratch, or you can image the old harddrive to the ssd.
Link Posted: 4/23/2022 8:54:15 PM EDT
[#2]
Yeah, she's got some pics and videos of her dad and the nephews she cannot lose.  We've stored some on a USB drive.

My issue is if it gets borked up, I don't want to be the one blamed....
Link Posted: 4/23/2022 9:57:23 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Yeah, she's got some pics and videos of her dad and the nephews she cannot lose.  We've stored some on a USB drive.

My issue is if it gets borked up, I don't want to be the one blamed....
View Quote

regardless if you take it to someone or do it yourself you'll want to back those up.
Link Posted: 4/24/2022 11:11:30 AM EDT
[#4]
It will be over $100 for them to crack the shell open.  Then you will pay for the battery, and whatever magic they choose to do to make it run faster.  Look at a new laptop, i bet you could find a new one for a comparable price for what you use it for.
Link Posted: 4/24/2022 12:03:41 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

regardless if you take it to someone or do it yourself you'll want to back those up.
View Quote

Yeap, that's for sure.
Link Posted: 4/24/2022 12:04:41 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
It will be over $100 for them to crack the shell open.  Then you will pay for the battery, and whatever magic they choose to do to make it run faster.  Look at a new laptop, i bet you could find a new one for a comparable price for what you use it for.
View Quote

Issue is, it's only 2 years old.  Gonna try a few other things with it first I guess.
Link Posted: 4/24/2022 2:56:46 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Issue is, it's only 2 years old.  Gonna try a few other things with it first I guess.
View Quote

In terms of speed if you don't already have a ssd then there's likely nothing that will make it faster, other than going to Ubuntu.

Honestly, I'd just back up everything you cannot lose on a portable harddrive. Then dig in via the video. Order an ssd and battery from amazon, easy return policy if something goes wrong. Go slow.
Link Posted: 4/24/2022 4:41:24 PM EDT
[#8]
*disclaimer* in all my years of teching, these never broke anything worse than it was already broken.. that being said, always back up your important stuff before you start banging away at your PC.

Here are some things you can do to speed it up... this is basically a shotgun of manual windows cleanup and whatnot.  This wont reset anything, it just cleans house.  Windows is supposed to do its own cleanups, but a lot of the time, stuff gets jammed or corrupted and stops it.  This will kinda reset those things but without having to re-install anything.  I find that if a pc is quirky and slow.. the chkdsk /f really help.. it is the yellow pages of whats on the drive and if some of those pages gets jacked, it can cause pc slowness bigtime.

all these scans are built into windows.

1.  start cmd prompt as admin and run chkdsk /f then reboot.  5-10min

2.  go to c:\windows\temp and delete the contents

3.  go to c:\users\wifesname\AppData\Local\Temp and delete the contents  (this is a hidden folder, so check show hidden folders)

4.  go to c:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Download and delete the contents  (this is where windows updates are downloaded and installed from.. clearing it out might get rid of some update that might keep trying to install and is looping and using up system resources.  one emptied, it will repopulate as needed when it runs updates)

5.  go to cmd prompt as administrator and run sfc /scannow 5-15min and if you get "corrupt files found and cannot be repaired" RUN IT AGAIN... up to 4x.. as sometimes when it fixes one thing it opens the door to other broken things that will be repaired on the next run. (this is system file checker, it checks the system files of windows against the originals in a library file and repairs corrupt ones)

Also.. how full is the hard drive?

Once that is all done.. go to Acer site and download the latest drives for specific model and install.  Especially the graphics driver.

As for the battery.. do it yourself.  It will probably take you longer to unscrew the screws on the bottom than to actually swap out the battery.  There are probably 15 YouTube videos on how to do it for that specific model.  Ifixit website also is a great resource of how-to's
Link Posted: 4/24/2022 4:49:31 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
*disclaimer* in all my years of teching, these never broke anything worse than it was already broken.. that being said, always back up your important stuff before you start banging away at your PC.

Here are some things you can do to speed it up... this is basically a shotgun of manual windows cleanup and whatnot.  This wont reset anything, it just cleans house.  Windows is supposed to do its own cleanups, but a lot of the time, stuff gets jammed or corrupted and stops it.  This will kinda reset those things but without having to re-install anything.  I find that if a pc is quirky and slow.. the chkdsk /f really help.. it is the yellow pages of whats on the drive and if some of those pages gets jacked, it can cause pc slowness bigtime.

all these scans are built into windows.

1.  start cmd prompt as admin and run chkdsk /f then reboot.  5-10min

2.  go to c:\windows\temp and delete the contents

3.  go to c:\users\wifesname\AppData\Local\Temp and delete the contents  (this is a hidden folder, so check show hidden folders)

4.  go to c:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Download and delete the contents  (this is where windows updates are downloaded and installed from.. clearing it out might get rid of some update that might keep trying to install and is looping and using up system resources.  one emptied, it will repopulate as needed when it runs updates)

5.  go to cmd prompt as administrator and run sfc /scannow 5-15min and if you get "corrupt files found and cannot be repaired" RUN IT AGAIN... up to 4x.. as sometimes when it fixes one thing it opens the door to other broken things that will be repaired on the next run. (this is system file checker, it checks the system files of windows against the originals in a library file and repairs corrupt ones)

Also.. how full is the hard drive?

Once that is all done.. go to Acer site and download the latest drives for specific model and install.  Especially the graphics driver.
View Quote

Thanks.

Will give it a shot.  Need to get a backup drive or large thumb
drive
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top