Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/28/2022 10:57:59 AM EDT
Anyone know of any areas like Sycamore or Sugar Loaf on the west side for shooting? I know the Miller Road and I-10 spot is still closed.

Please PM me with info. I hate having to go all the way over to the Saguaro Lake area just to shoot or test fire some new builds.

Thanks in advance!
Link Posted: 3/28/2022 8:33:19 PM EDT
[#1]
Following........
Link Posted: 3/30/2022 4:53:00 PM EDT
[#2]
Joe Foss Range is south on Highway 85

Link Posted: 4/4/2022 3:34:51 PM EDT
[#3]
Most of the west side is either getting developed or no trespassing signs going up sadly enough.  Joe Foss was mentioned earlier, it may not be ideal.....
Link Posted: 4/6/2022 12:19:54 AM EDT
[#4]
My spot I used to go is now shut down. Sad how much land in getting sold and developed
Link Posted: 5/20/2022 8:40:10 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Joe Foss Range is south on Highway 85

View Quote

Ya, that's an hour from my house. May as well stick with Sycamore and Sugarloaf.
Link Posted: 5/21/2022 1:45:05 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
My spot I used to go is now shut down. Sad how much land in getting sold and developed
View Quote
Remember the Save Our Desert signs?

As a kid, that didn't mean much. Nowadays, it is just depressing.

Link Posted: 5/22/2022 12:58:07 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I remember them back in the 70's, spray painted on 4x8 sheets of plywood on the sides of roads.
Link Posted: 5/22/2022 2:17:10 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I remember them back in the 70's, spray painted on 4x8 sheets of plywood on the sides of roads.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

We recently went to Tom's Thumb. Holy crap.

The desert is gone. Golf courses and planned communities.

We used to shoot out there. Sad.

Do we even have dust devils anymore? We used to see them almost every single day.

Link Posted: 5/22/2022 3:32:15 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Do we even have dust devils anymore? We used to see them almost every single day.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's a shame what's happened to our state.
Link Posted: 6/5/2022 11:57:04 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Ya, that's an hour from my house. May as well stick with Sycamore and Sugarloaf.
View Quote

Sycamore is an exceptionally dangerous place these days.

Link Posted: 6/5/2022 11:58:18 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

It's a shame what's happened to our state.
View Quote

I feel like something holy was stolen from me, but I guess it was already stolen when I got it.
Link Posted: 6/5/2022 11:59:20 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote

Get a membership at PRG?
Link Posted: 6/6/2022 7:54:17 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote

I see dust devils almost every day, and I'm not too far from there.
Link Posted: 6/17/2022 3:56:57 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Get a membership at PRG?
View Quote

I prefer the desert. I like testing new builds. Troubleshooting if needed right there and then without getting scolded by a range officer. Also like being able to shoot how I want instead of whats approved in their eyes.

Also, PRG is only open Saturdays and Sunday and for limited amounts of time.
Link Posted: 6/17/2022 4:19:22 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

I prefer the desert. I like testing new builds. Troubleshooting if needed right there and then without getting scolded by a range officer. Also like being able to shoot how I want instead of whats approved in their eyes.

Also, PRG is only open Saturdays and Sunday and for limited amounts of time.
View Quote

Nope. Wrong. 100% erroneous, and landing in the fake news category.

The PRG public range is open Saturday and Sunday to the general public with daily fees and a range officer.

The other numerous different club ranges (and the public range) are open seven days a week, to the club members only, and there is no range officer. You can shoot from field positions, you can draw, you can work on guns, etc. You probably can’t do fireteam rushes on the 500 yard KD range, but you can do what you want, short of being retarded.

When the desert is closed, PRG is a good deal. It’s like $70 a year for unlimited access. The only exception is if one of the sub-clubs has a range checked out for a match or scheduled practice, and all that is on the calendar. All those shooting discipline matches are also a good form of training if you dabble in them.

Like everything in AZ, it’s more crowded than it used to be, but I often shoot on weekday afternoons on the 200 yard steel range with nobody there but me.

So, short version is you are confusing the PRG public range with PRG. Totally different animal.
Link Posted: 6/19/2022 11:43:25 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Anyone know of any areas like Sycamore or Sugar Loaf on the west side for shooting? I know the Miller Road and I-10 spot is still closed.

Please PM me with info. I hate having to go all the way over to the Saguaro Lake area just to shoot or test fire some new builds.

Thanks in advance!
View Quote

Look here:

33.570048 N  -112.825529 W
Multiple spots around the mountain using the mountain as back stop.
Link Posted: 6/21/2022 7:27:29 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Look here:

View Quote

I feel like that's too close to the area closed off of Miller. Might be closed as well.
Link Posted: 6/21/2022 7:28:39 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
So, short version is you are confusing the PRG public range with PRG. Totally different animal.
View Quote

You are correct. Might have to give that another look, haha. Especially since the fire ban is now in effect. :-(
Link Posted: 6/22/2022 12:40:20 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

I feel like that's too close to the area closed off of Miller. Might be closed as well.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Look here:

@Shaggs
Not even close to Miller rd, >10 miles away. That general area has a lot of places to shoot.
It may be closed for fire restrictions but so is most of AZ.
Link Posted: 7/16/2022 11:56:11 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

@Shaggs
Not even close to Miller rd, >10 miles away. That general area has a lot of places to shoot.
It may be closed for fire restrictions but so is most of AZ.
View Quote

I might give it a look. I'm pretty sure that will have a bunch of these signs though. I thought I saw a bunch the last time I checked it out, that or I saw some other "No Shooting" signs.

Link Posted: 7/16/2022 12:04:54 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Sycamore is an exceptionally dangerous place these days.

View Quote

Dangerous ? How is it dangerous ?
Link Posted: 7/16/2022 3:08:12 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Dangerous ? How is it dangerous ?
View Quote

Assuming we are talking about the same place, Sycamore possibly generates more crime than any place in Arizona. It has literally only been a few weeks since the last attempted murder out there. There is constant drug fueled insanity. Beats Table Mesa, and that takes effort.
Link Posted: 7/16/2022 8:28:20 PM EDT
[#23]
Do what I did.  Put the time in and do some research.

Spend 3 or 4 weeks looking at maps and scouting out places and finally finding a spot that's not too far away and accessible by my vehicle.

And no, I won't tell you where it is.
Link Posted: 7/17/2022 1:31:37 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Do what I did.  Put the time in and do some research.

Spend 3 or 4 weeks looking at maps and scouting out places and finally finding a spot that's not too far away and accessible by my vehicle.

And no, I won't tell you where it is.
View Quote

That don’t help when it’s fire season.

Gotta have a backup plan for June.
Link Posted: 7/17/2022 11:20:55 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Assuming we are talking about the same place, Sycamore possibly generates more crime than any place in Arizona. It has literally only been a few weeks since the last attempted murder out there. There is constant drug fueled insanity. Beats Table Mesa, and that takes effort.
View Quote

Never been to Sycamore ,but have shot many times at Table Mesa and never had or saw any problem. Guess im going to have to stop going out there ( Table Mesa ) alone.
Link Posted: 7/20/2022 8:20:21 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View Quote

Now I am wondering if we are talking about the same plase. The Sycamore I'm talking about is just north of Saguaro Lake, on the east side. I've been out there plenty of times and never had an issue. Never even heard any shouting. My only problem has been that there are too many people.

I thought the place on the west side off Miller Rd and I-10 was the spot that was shut down after someone was actually shot out there.
Link Posted: 7/20/2022 11:40:28 PM EDT
[#27]
The entire center and north of the state is covered in national forest. Lots of it is way less occupied than down here. Hop on the 17 for an hour or so and find a nice forest road with a backstop away from others.
Link Posted: 7/21/2022 4:19:35 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 7/21/2022 9:56:06 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Sycamore is on the west side of RT 87. It is more dangerous now

than it was 10 years ago as there are so many people out there now.
View Quote

It’s been crazy for a long time. There was just a random shooting out there.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top