Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 1/30/2022 1:23:55 AM EDT
Anyone know current turnaround time on CCW Renewal?
Link Posted: 1/30/2022 1:51:55 AM EDT
[#1]
It takes as long as it takes...a buddy of mine just got his back in 3 weeks, some people take 60-70 days.  

You can renew it 90 days prior to expiration, or 60 days afterwards.  I'd put a reminder in your calendar for 90 days prior, and send off the packet ASAP.  Don't wait until 59 days after it expires like most people seem to do.
Link Posted: 1/30/2022 10:10:35 PM EDT
[#2]
Put mine in Oct 28 and still not back

Called last week and they said they’re up to about Oct 12 submissions
Link Posted: 1/31/2022 12:53:03 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Put mine in Oct 28 and still not back

Called last week and they said they’re up to about Oct 12 submissions
View Quote

With AZ being a Constitutional Carry state, it looks like DPS is pissed off and in no hurry to issue permits!
Link Posted: 1/31/2022 12:24:00 PM EDT
[#4]
Wife and I put ours in mid October

Still waiting
Link Posted: 1/31/2022 12:48:52 PM EDT
[#5]
I mailed mine at the end of September. It expired at the end of December. I had to call 5 days before it expired and they mailed it the next day
Link Posted: 2/3/2022 3:08:34 PM EDT
[#6]
I wish I had remembered this thread.  At least it made me look at my date.  March 31, 2022 expiration.

Here is a quote from their website:

Our mission is to provide timely and accurate services to our customers. We embrace the latest technologies and welcome innovative ideas to assist our operations in an ever changing industry.
View Quote
They don't let you renew on line, they don't take visa or any electronic form of payment.  They won't take a personal check.  What lying assholes.

DPS email link

I bent their ear about their "latest technologies" and "innovations".  Very cosmopolitan.
Link Posted: 2/3/2022 4:35:51 PM EDT
[#7]
I called and talked with DPS just to make sure I had all the correct info.  Phone # is 602-256-6280 incase anyone wants it.  

Nice lady a swered the phone.  Told me I missed the cut off but she was cool and gave me a "heads up" on the best way to submit my stuff.  She said to fill out the PDF, tape my expired ccw card onto a blank peice of paper and include a USPS money order for the $60. **she suggested USPS as they don't expire and they have been really behind due to staffing  issues and other money orders can expire.  She also said to Google "Arizona Live Scan locations" and use them for prints.  She also highly suggested while at the post office getting the M/O, when I send the form off, to get delivery confirmation as shes had people call her saying they sent their stuff in and they never got it.  

I got the form / card done and m/o, I just need to get my prints and submit all this.
Link Posted: 2/4/2022 12:02:37 PM EDT
[#8]
Sounds like they created a lot of bullshit, which could have been solved by an electronic submission and electronic payment.  Government efficiency at its finest.
Link Posted: 2/9/2022 11:03:55 PM EDT
[#9]
So, I dropped off my renewal and a $43 Walmart money order at DPS in person last Thursday (because I don’t trust people and the USPS), my renewed permit came in todays mail and I still have my old one. Pretty impressive for .gov.

Expiration was late April 2022
Link Posted: 2/18/2022 3:18:46 PM EDT
[#10]
Just called 602-256-6280 a few minutes ago. They said they are processing forms received Nov 1st at this time.
Link Posted: 2/19/2022 6:50:39 PM EDT
[#11]
Mailed my renewal off this morning.
Link Posted: 2/23/2022 1:35:43 PM EDT
[#12]
I got mine back after 69 days. I called twice. Each time they were very helpful.  They actually called me back with an update too. They said they are getting flooded with new permits from all the California assholes coming here and ruining our state.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/23/2022 5:31:23 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
So, I dropped off my renewal and a $43 Walmart money order at DPS in person last Thursday (because I don’t trust people and the USPS), my renewed permit came in todays mail and I still have my old one. Pretty impressive for .gov.

Expiration was late April 2022
View Quote
Lucky.  At least this gives me hope.
Link Posted: 2/24/2022 2:10:20 AM EDT
[#14]
isn't it interesting that AZ dept of Revenue will take a personal check for Tax payments from anyone....

but AZ DOJ won't take a personal check from the exact person they are performing a background check on, even though statistically CCW holders are 6 times less likely to commit a crime of any type (including check fraud one presumes)

Poole
Link Posted: 2/24/2022 10:22:24 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
isn't it interesting that AZ dept of Revenue will take a personal check for Tax payments from anyone....

but AZ DOJ won't take a personal check from the exact person they are performing a background check on, even though statistically CCW holders are 6 times less likely to commit a crime of any type (including check fraud one presumes)

Poole
View Quote

Should just be able to credit card it like getting a replacement drivers license, instead of paying $5 dollars at my bank to get the check.
Link Posted: 3/1/2022 1:05:18 PM EDT
[#16]
I called again today and I was told they are working on applications received on the 11/4. My renewal was delivered on 11/4, but has not yet been processed in.

LMAO, seems like you have to mail your renewal in a good 3-4 months before you 90 day renewal period starts, to get processed in a timely manner.
Link Posted: 3/2/2022 8:38:25 PM EDT
[#17]
For the renewal, do you just send it in the form and payment via standard snail mail?
Link Posted: 3/3/2022 10:00:11 AM EDT
[#18]
Does anyone know if you can send in the renewal before the 90-days before expiration?
It appears they can't process them before 90-days, but nothing about receiving them before the 90-days.
I wonder if sending in your renewal application 15-30 days before the 90-days would get you renewed before expiration.
Their website still says:
"Typically applications are processed within 75 days of receipt if no additional research is required."
View Quote
Link Posted: 3/3/2022 1:55:15 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
For the renewal, do you just send it in the form and payment via standard snail mail?
View Quote

yes.  You would think they would have an electronic version but they dont.
Link Posted: 3/3/2022 2:41:20 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

yes.  You would think they would have an electronic version but they dont.
View Quote

I fucked up and sent it certified thinking I was covering my ass and they rejected it..

Hope I even get it renewed at this point.

EDIT:

Called DPS, they said certified was fine and that USPS has been screwing up lately.  My certified tracking now shows unavailable..
Link Posted: 3/9/2022 1:03:19 AM EDT
[#21]
Just got an email from AZCDL this AM and apparently this DPS slow walking is affecting many people.  The CDL group is putting pressure on the politicians to fix this.  DPS blames 'understaffing', but this is free money for them, all they need to do is their job.
Link Posted: 3/14/2022 8:41:18 PM EDT
[#22]
I spoke with USPS again and now I'm being told DPS refused my certified mail.. after DPS already told me they did not refuse it.

I sent another renewal today via regular mail and I guess Ill call DPS again to see if they have record(I doubt it) in my mail being refused..

This is getting ridiculous..
Link Posted: 3/15/2022 3:59:43 PM EDT
[#23]
I just got off the phone with DPS.  I don't know how any of you got help or got your renewal quickly.

They would not take my name or look anything up.

They were hard lined about still processing apps from last November.

I don't understand why they actually answer the phone, if they don't intend to provide any service.
Link Posted: 3/15/2022 4:02:00 PM EDT
[#24]
Here is the text from the AZCDL email:

The Arizona Citizens Defense League continues to receive complaints from members about extremely long delays by the Department of Public Safety in processing CCW renewals. Many members want to know who they can speak to about the delays but our understanding is that DPS has not been responding to e-mail or telephone requests for status.

The short version of the story is that, yes, we are aware of the problem. Some AzCDL officers and board members are personally impacted, as well, so we feel your pain.

And, yes, we agree this level of service from DPS is unacceptable. Moreover, the processing delays exceed the statutory time limit but, unfortunately, current law doesn't include penalties for failing to meet the deadlines, so there is little we can do to demand accountability.

We have been in contact with legislators about the problem and have pushed them to take action on the matter but nothing has come of it so far.

DPS complains that they are slow in processing the renewals because they are experiencing ongoing staffing shortages.

AzCDL will continue to work the problem and will keep you informed of our progress.
View Quote
Link Posted: 3/18/2022 1:37:51 PM EDT
[#25]
I recieved my new CWP yesterday.

I called this Tuesday 3/15 and was informed it had been approved and mailed out on 3/10.

They do not prorate the issue/exp dates, not that I expected they would.

So my renewal approved on 3/10/22 was still "issued" on 12/5/2021, or to put it another way, about 5% of its effective life had expired before I ever had it.

Link Posted: 4/27/2022 9:44:50 PM EDT
[#26]
Excellent.
Expired 10/30.
Mailed 11/1 ( wife and I had a baby and I spaced on the renewal, despite the calendar reminders telling me to get my ass in gear)

Still waiting. Glad to see the systems work

I shouldn't be surprised, have cans in jail for almost a year right now. But these should be easy and quick to process

Link Posted: 5/2/2022 2:31:49 AM EDT
[#27]
Sent my renewal in on 22 Nov 2021 and JUST got it a couple days ago, the paperwork was dated 21 April 2022.
Link Posted: 5/3/2022 12:13:04 PM EDT
[#28]
Just got this email:

Due to our backlog, your application was just entered on 4/11/22. It's making its way through the background check process. Once that is complete, either the permit will be issued or, if additional information about your background is needed, a letter will be sent to you asking for that info. Please email or call us in 30 days for better status.  
View Quote
Link Posted: 5/4/2022 4:26:57 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

With AZ being a Constitutional Carry state, it looks like DPS is pissed off and in no hurry to issue permits!
View Quote
When CC passed, DPS lost so much permit money, they started sending out expiration reminders.  They no longer do that, something much more devious is afoot.
Link Posted: 5/6/2022 11:04:05 AM EDT
[#30]
This thread reminded me to look at my CCW expiration date... it expires in 1 1/2 months.  Glad I looked!

Mailed the renewal app in yesterday... now the wait.
Link Posted: 5/8/2022 11:00:06 AM EDT
[#31]
Well, my wife and I both have CWPs that expired on the same date, back in February.  We caught the looming renewal early that month and got on top of it.  Our original permits date back to the 1990s and their numbers aren't quite sequential, but only off by about 40 in the last two places.

During normal times, if any times are actually normal, my wife receives her renewed permit one or two days before I do.  This time, she received her received card two weeks ago and mine is still pending.  I've sent a polite status enquiry off to DPS.
Link Posted: 5/9/2022 5:53:55 PM EDT
[#32]
The answer to my original question...

Received Permit today 05/09/22 - 104 Days
Link Posted: 5/9/2022 7:39:28 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
The answer to my original question...

Received Permit today 05/09/22 - 104 Days
View Quote

Well, whaddya know.  Your time frame at least helps bracket things.
Link Posted: 5/10/2022 1:39:22 PM EDT
[#34]
Sent approximately Feb 3, received May 9.
Link Posted: 5/10/2022 5:27:35 PM EDT
[#35]
I sent mine off at the end of October and still have not heard a thing.
Link Posted: 5/10/2022 5:30:56 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
I sent mine off at the end of October and still have not heard a thing.
View Quote

Time for a phone call.  They are processing December/January forms right now.
Link Posted: 5/11/2022 12:49:57 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Time for a phone call.  They are processing December/January forms right now.
View Quote
Email them, don't waste time with the phone. Link is above and on DPS website.
Link Posted: 5/12/2022 8:11:44 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Excellent.
Expired 10/30.
Mailed 11/1 ( wife and I had a baby and I spaced on the renewal, despite the calendar reminders telling me to get my ass in gear)

Still waiting. Glad to see the systems work

I shouldn't be surprised, have cans in jail for almost a year right now. But these should be easy and quick to process

View Quote

When I posted I also sent an email through their online system.
Got a response today that it was issued 5/5 and being shipped out.

Renewal in hand
11/1/21 - 5/10/22
Link Posted: 5/12/2022 1:32:15 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Renewal in hand
11/1/21 - 5/10/22
View Quote

6 months is absolutely unacceptable...not to mention it's ILLEGAL.  By statute, DPS has 60 days to issue you a permit once the paperwork is received.  Egregious violations of the statute need to be reported to the Attorney General's office for investigation.
Link Posted: 5/13/2022 9:17:53 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Renewal in hand
11/1/21 - 5/10/22
View Quote

Waiting on a response from my email. Mine expired yesterday, and I sent the renewal in on 2/19/2022.
Link Posted: 5/15/2022 10:25:37 AM EDT
[#41]
I hope my experience is a sign things are improving:

Current permit expires 6/6
Sent renewal on 5/4
Permit arrived 5/13
Link Posted: 5/15/2022 12:42:27 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
I hope my experience is a sign things are improving:

Current permit expires 6/6
Sent renewal on 5/4
Permit arrived 5/13
View Quote

I hope that is the case. I have marked my calendar to get the renewal sent in as early as possible.
Link Posted: 5/20/2022 2:00:39 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
This thread reminded me to look at my CCW expiration date... it expires in 1 1/2 months.  Glad I looked!

Mailed the renewal app in yesterday... now the wait.
View Quote

Mailed to DPS - 05/05/22

Received back - Yesterday 05/19/22.  
Link Posted: 5/20/2022 11:41:02 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Mailed to DPS - 05/05/22

Received back - Yesterday 05/19/22.  
View Quote

They have not even email me back when I asked them on the status of mine. I guess I will have to call them on Monday.
Link Posted: 5/22/2022 2:36:21 AM EDT
[#45]
I finally emailed them last week and got a quick reply. They said it was pending but she then went in and manually cleared it. Not sure why that happened. should be on the way.

Sent in beginning of November
Link Posted: 5/22/2022 10:35:40 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
I finally emailed them last week and got a quick reply. They said it was pending but she then went in and manually cleared it. Not sure why that happened. should be on the way.

Sent in beginning of November
View Quote

I also sent a polite email a week or so ago, and received a polite email in return last week.  My application is definitely there and not lost, and not as long-pending as riscolonel's!  The email expected that it would go quickly if the background check didn't turn up anything suspect.  I think I lead a boring life, so . . .
Link Posted: 5/23/2022 1:18:28 PM EDT
[#47]
So after getting disconnected after waiting over 20 minutes on the phone, I sent an email with my name, permit number, and phone number to "[email protected]"

This email was not on the website, but is given to you when you call in.

I received a quick automated message; "which I never got using the online contact," followed up with an actual response. They said they just manually cleared my background check and my permit will be mailed out on Tuesday!

So, if you have not heard anything give the email a try, seems like they might be having computer/database issues.
Link Posted: 5/27/2022 11:00:33 AM EDT
[#48]
My full renewal timeline.

2/19/2022 Mailed renewal.

5/12/2022 Permit expired.

5/12/2022 Used web based form to request status.

5/23/2022 Called in keep getting disconnected.

5/23/2022 Emailed and was told that my background check was just manually cleared and permit would be mailed out the next day.

5/25/2022 USPS informed delivery shows letter from AZDPS has been post marked.

5/26/2022 Received an email in reply from my 5/12/202 web request also stating that my permit was issued on 5/23/2022.

5/27/2022 USPS informed delivery shows permit should arrive today.
Link Posted: 5/27/2022 10:40:03 PM EDT
[#49]
my timeline closely matches Sladekal's

expires 17-May

Mailed just under 90 days ahead on 23-Feb with a USPS MO (dropped it in the box inside the Post Office)

USPS MO cashed on 14-Apr

emailed using the form on the DPS website about a week before expiration, no response

emailed using the form friday several days after expiration

got a reply stating manually cleared the background check monday will mail out tuesday

it arrived in today's mail
Link Posted: 6/3/2022 10:39:11 AM EDT
[#50]
Surprisingly my permit was in the mail yesterday.

Submitted 3-14, expired 4-2, received 6-2.

USPS was marking all certified mail to DPS as refused even though they accepted it.

Got my second certified  check back as well.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top