Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/12/2021 12:03:30 AM EDT
Been thinking about putting in for Bison for years.    
This year I will take the plunge.

Any of you have experience with the Bison hunt?
Should I just just go big and try for the designated bull hunt in 5A / 5B?
Or theYearling hunt?

I'm sure it's a needle in a haystack draw but gotta start somewhere.   Hell maybe I'll get lucky.

Thanks in advance for your suggestions / advice.

Link Posted: 10/12/2021 12:11:59 AM EDT
[#1]
Bison are big, lots of meat, but you won't lift if over your shoulder like a Coues deer.

with low draw rates, its probably a once-in-a-lifetime tag and hunt, so be prepared to hire a guide, with horses and know what butcher you will take it to.

might as well get a new rifle too. a .300 win mag will probably work, but given our history of buffalo hunters opening up the west, there is no way I'd hunt a Bison with anything but a big bore black powder cartridge rifle such as a sharps!

so you might as well get your order in now:  https://shilohrifle.com/ they have a long wait list.

looks like several threads on Buffalo/Bison on the forums
https://shilohrifle.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=6&sid=14580c6a107e39d3fd25ebcb0442eaa1

Happy Hunting!

Poole

Link Posted: 10/12/2021 11:20:58 PM EDT
[#2]

Buddy's dad is retired and somehow got on a cull hunt list. They basically give you a day's notice to get up there once they call you. Might be something to look into if you don't have a ton of obligations.
Link Posted: 10/13/2021 8:10:20 AM EDT
[#3]
@jeredmd
Link Posted: 10/13/2021 9:23:02 AM EDT
[#4]
Just remember my screen name in 3 months when you're sick of buffalo. I will HAPPILY drive to your house to take some off your hands!
Link Posted: 10/15/2021 11:34:42 PM EDT
[#5]
Kinda late but I shot my bison last yr on the north rim of the kaibab. Took 34 days and I got a new chest freezer of meat and my old chest freezer all filled up. I shot a bull.  

Once in a lifetime harvest in AZ on the draw. You can draw it multiple times in your life. Took me 21yrs to draw. I was putting in since I was 10yrs old.

Good luck!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top