Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/29/2021 5:15:47 PM EDT
Not only was it packed. The traffic was out to the light on 87.

Holy shit! I cannot believe what people are dumping.

Bicycles, power tools, tools, lumber, scrap metal, you name it... and it is illegal to take some of this on the way out?

Evictions? That is my only conclusion. There is some nice shit that people are chucking as rubbish.

We are spoiled as consumers.

We don't understand the word poor.

Link Posted: 8/29/2021 5:42:51 PM EDT
[#1]
When our country was young most people would fit into the 'poor' definition, but they didn't know it because they were doing everything they could to build this country. And then.....

"I'm from the government and I'm here to help you."
Link Posted: 8/29/2021 5:42:56 PM EDT
[#2]
Yeah, usually the workers there grab the "good" stuff. It's the same at all the landfills and transfer stations. The umbrellas and chairs they sit on are usually dumped by somebody, they'll grab them and now they have shade and a place to sit.

I've seen dollies with a simple flat tire, to industrial carts, air compressors, lawn equipment, tool boxes.

Even saw a guy back up and take all the shelving and drawers out of a cargo van that was set up like a plumber's truck or electrician. Just chucked it all in the trash.

Link Posted: 8/29/2021 5:45:11 PM EDT
[#3]
Also, I don't think it's illegal to grab things, most places just have a sign that says no scavenging. They just don't want you searching for stuff, while they are trying to get it dozed up and compacted.
Link Posted: 8/30/2021 5:08:31 PM EDT
[#4]
End of the month -- not evictions, moving.

Went through a move last year. Sad to say it was easier to toss stuff that in total was worth ~$5K than it was
to try and sell it for freecycle, etc. I told the workers that were cleaning up my old place to grab what they
wanted, and even with that about half of it had to go to the dump.

We're an incredibly wealthy society, including our poor.
Link Posted: 8/30/2021 10:18:53 PM EDT
[#5]
In Iraq just about every base, fob, cop had a dump….it was easier sometimes just to swing by and pick out needed equipment, gear, mre’s etc than deal with the requisition process
Link Posted: 9/1/2021 5:26:11 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Yeah, usually the workers there grab the "good" stuff. It's the same at all the landfills and transfer stations. The umbrellas and chairs they sit on are usually dumped by somebody, they'll grab them and now they have shade and a place to sit.

I've seen dollies with a simple flat tire, to industrial carts, air compressors, lawn equipment, tool boxes.

Even saw a guy back up and take all the shelving and drawers out of a cargo van that was set up like a plumber's truck or electrician. Just chucked it all in the trash.

View Quote

I've dumped a lot of "good stuff", because it's just a PITA.  What should I do, become a hoarder, and stack junk all around my property?  Try to sell things, and spend hours trying to collect $5?  Try to give it away, and deal with all the Internet jokers and jackasses who have no skin in the game and no respect for themselves or anyone else?

I never wasted so much time in my life as the last time I moved and tried to give useful stuff away.  If anyone ever showed, it was always "pickers".  After that, I wound up setting stuff near the Dumpster and posting, "If you want it, come see if it's still there.  When I see it's gone, I'll delete this post."  No phone number, no email.

I'll try to drop stuff at Goodwill or something, but I just can't be bothered to try to save stuff that might someday be useful to someone.  Toss it in the garbage and forget about it.  Not enough hours in the day.
Link Posted: 9/1/2021 6:51:38 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I've dumped a lot of "good stuff", because it's just a PITA.  What should I do, become a hoarder, and stack junk all around my property?  Try to sell things, and spend hours trying to collect $5?  Try to give it away, and deal with all the Internet jokers and jackasses who have no skin in the game and no respect for themselves or anyone else?

I never wasted so much time in my life as the last time I moved and tried to give useful stuff away.  If anyone ever showed, it was always "pickers".  After that, I wound up setting stuff near the Dumpster and posting, "If you want it, come see if it's still there.  When I see it's gone, I'll delete this post."  No phone number, no email.

I'll try to drop stuff at Goodwill or something, but I just can't be bothered to try to save stuff that might someday be useful to someone.  Toss it in the garbage and forget about it.  Not enough hours in the day.
View Quote

When we started getting ready to move back to AZ, the wife and I called the local Veteran's re-store.  We placed boxes of good stuff on one side of the driveway and boxes of trash on the other.  

When they showed up to get the stuff, one guy started grabbing the boxes of trash.  I told him everything on that side was trash (literally) and the other side was all of the goodies.  The guy looked at me and said it wasn't a problem, that they were so happy to get all of the stuff we were giving them, that they would dispose of our garbage for us.

I damned near shit a brick, as it was more than I could take to the dump in ten trips with the ol' Dodge.

I gave those boys a bottle of some really old Ansbach I've kept for many, many years.
Link Posted: 9/3/2021 12:19:50 PM EDT
[#8]
Put it on the curb (not the driveway) and an ad on Craig's List and most useful stuff will disappear.  Any metal or appliance can be taken to a scrap yard for shred at $0.05-$0.10/lb depending on what scrap prices are doing.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top